My new eBike > Yuba Sweet Curry

GadgetJim57

Reaction score
My new Yuba Sweet Curry eBike should be ready for me to pick up in five days ….. I'm excited to get back on the road again ….. This is the stock photo, before any custom work. Notice the two large batteries on the back. The guy who is doing the custom work is adding a third battery, which will give me a range of around 96 miles with no pedaling, and possibly around 140 miles with pedal assist.
YubaSweetCurry-052718.jpeg

YubaSweetCurry-052718.jpeg

I'm hoping that I can find somebody to ride with .... at least part way … on my 400-mile tour to the Redwoods …..

Yes, the range on an eBike does change. The faster you ride, the less distance you get from the batteries. I will get the most mileage traveling between 12-18mph, which is just fine for me, because I will be spending most of my time site seeing …. watching whales … observing birds and other wildlife with my huge 100mm spotting scope … hiking … visiting many museums … cafes … restaurants … hopefully might even see some Sea Lions (!!!) … might even stop by a church or two if I'm near one on a Sunday …. Some days I will only be traveling 20 miles or less, and I will spend two days in Mendocino … another two days in Fort Bragg .... and three to four days along the Avenue of the Giants (the tallest trees in the world !!!).

The guy who is customizing my eBike is adding a 3rd battery, which will give me around 96 miles on a full charge, without pedaling. If I use the pedal assist, I could possibly get 140 miles on a full charge. The first two days of my tour, I will travel around 70 miles each day, which will get me to Petaluma. Cycling up the Pacific Coast will be slow and adventurous .....

Charging time for two batteries is around 7-8 hours. Since I'm adding a 3rd battery, charging time will be longer, but I don't know the exact time. I will be looking for places along the way charge …..

Yes, the range on an eBike does change. The faster you ride, the less distance you get from the batteries. I will get the most mileage traveling between 12-18mph, which is just fine for me, because I will be spending most of my time site seeing …. watching whales … observing birds and other wildlife with my huge 100mm spotting scope … hiking … visiting many museums … cafes … restaurants … hopefully might even see some Sea Lions (!!!) … might even stop by a church or two if I'm near one on a Sunday …. Some days I will only be traveling 20 miles or less, and I will spend two days in Mendocino … another two days in Fort Bragg .... and three to four days along the Avenue of the Giants (the tallest trees in the world !!!).

This sounds like a fantastic trip! You clearly have an appreciation of the smaller things in life, and I am inspired. Thank you for the inspiration, kind stranger :)

I have been riding bicycles since I was four years old, when my uncle taught me how to ride. Unfortunately, I have problems with my knees, so I cannot pedal much anymore. The eBike will still allow me to travel on a bicycle, which I can actually pedal and shift gears when I am able. I have been calling many different campsites, and found several that will work for my trip. I need access to electricity to charge the batteries. There are many Hiker/Biker campsites along the California Coast, which only cost $10/night (regular campsites are now $35/night, and some even as much as $47/night !!!). I also found a place to Whale Watch !!! I spoke with the camp host and he told me his campgrounds are a good place to whale watching.

I decided to have four batteries. So, the guy customizing my eBike is going to add a 4th battery, which will give me 80Ahrs (Amp hours), or almost 4,000 Watts of power !!! I should be able to travel 120 miles with no pedaling. With pedal assist, easily 150 miles. Charging time will take around 10 hours (my heavy-duty portable charger is 8amps, very small, easily fits in a backpack).

This sounds like a fantastic trip! You clearly have an appreciation of the smaller things in life, and I am inspired. Thank you for the inspiration, kind stranger :)

As I get older, I'm slowing down ..... Which is a good thing. I like to take my time to enjoy life now .... taking longer to eat and enjoy my food …. enjoying the simple things in life, like chatting with friends … reading … and now I can travel more …..

Are you bringing a tent or something to sleep in? I'm not familiar with how hiker/biker campsites. Oh, how much cargo are you carrying?

I admit I'm learning so much from this thread already. Perhaps one day I will take a similar trip!

I will take everything that I need ….. tent … sleeping bag … 2-burner Coleman Stove (with extra fuel tanks) … clothes … food … spotting scope/tripod for digiscoping and observing birds and other wildlife (hopefully will see whales and sea lions …) … battery packs for my smartphone … tablet (for GPS/Maps) … Bible ... water … small cooler ... First Aid Kit … extension cord for charging my eBike batteries ... basic survival stuff (knives, rope, fire starter, tools …).

Before I go on the long tour .... I will practice camping at our local campgrounds, which is only 25 miles away.

I do not have an Ebike but i do want to turm my current into an Ebike.
The laws in the Uk are kind of silly though.
I am not allowed anything thats over a set Wattage. (could be over 200watt) it has been a while since we spoke to the DVLA, Also if you upgrade a push into electric thats over the watt you have to have it classed as a moped. Also this means you then need to get it an MOT every year. insurance and Tax. we are not allowed to Exceed 15 miles per hour (not sure what this is in Kmh)
Can you imagin taking a push bike for a MOT?

Last edited:
I've read that the eBike laws in the UK are tough, and in Northern Ireland, the eBike laws are the toughest of all !!! Some countries set the limit to only 250W. I watched a video of a guy who installed a hub motor on both front and rear wheels !!!

Back