My new dog Marty bite!!

I love McConnell's books. She goes more into the emotional development of dogs and why they do what they do, and how we can adapt our behavior accordingly in training. Her blog is wonderful to read.

Stanley Coren's books about the intelligence of dogs, and his "How to Speak Dog," are also interesting. In fact it was through reading one of his books about rating dog intelligence that got me started in owning poodles, more than 20 years ago, because of how highly they rated for intelligence, adaptability, and general all-around wonderfulness. I had always preferred larger dogs before.

Stillwell I think is more accessible and more immediately practical for the average dog owner who wants to get results without necessarily going into a lot of background about canine psychology. She knows her stuff and the beauty of it is that she can make the instant connections between what a dog's behavior is showing us and what the average dog owner can do, through positive reinforcement and good management, to get the dog to behave as we want.

Back