My new dog Marty bite!!

I still don't quite understand how Marty got to you. He was shipped from the shelter in California to a shelter near you, and then you got him from the shelter near you, is that right? Did you specifically request him from the shelter in California originally?

Reba, I think you get the gold star for figuring out why he bit. Very astute intuition and putting two and two together, there.

Marty was shipped from a kill shelter in Calif. to a shelter that does not kill animals . The shelter is in my state, Mass. and about a 50 minutes ride from my home. The shelter has web site with all the dog and cats looking for a forever home. I saw Brad Pitt's photo on the shelter web site and when there with my daughter and granddaughter as I wanted to see how Brad got along with children. No people do request for a pet from another state at this shelter, the shelter works with shelters all over the place ,they have dogs from other countries . You can request that the shelter let you know when a person had a pet they're giving up. I did this but the dogs where older than I wanted, they where 6 and 7 years old.

I still don't quite understand how Marty got to you. He was shipped from the shelter in California to a shelter near you, and then you got him from the shelter near you, is that right? Did you specifically request him from the shelter in California originally?

Reba, I think you get the gold star for figuring out why he bit. Very astute intuition and putting two and two together, there.
Well, I'm not saying that's for sure but it's worth investigating.

It really does make sense.

I really have fingers, toes, and Casey's and Pippin's paws crossed for you and Marty, whatdidyousay! Once Marty gets through all of his medical issues, then it will be easier to evaluate his temperament. Poor tyke. I hope the bite was just a reaction to pain and not part of his usual self.

At the same time, it would be a good idea to keep him away from your granddaughter, or at least under VERY close supervision, and don't let her pick him up or handle him. Being cautious is better safe than sorry, until he settles in more, at least.

Could have a bruised or cracked rib due to the trip...Animals tend to bounce around. I would try a week without picking him up and see if his behavior is different. You could always lay on the floor with him instead of putting him on the couch

Whatdidyousay, is Marty still underweight? I don't remember what you said about that.

I am probably thinking about you and Marty WAY too much, but you crossed my mind this a.m. when I was making Satin Balls for my dogs. Have you ever heard of these?

Here is the recipe I use:

Put weight on your dog with "satin balls"

I use the version for small dogs, with 1 lb. hamburger. Sometimes I double the recipe and use two lbs. They are very tasty and the boys love 'em.

Whatdidyousay, is Marty still underweight? I don't remember what you said about that.

I am probably thinking about you and Marty WAY too much, but you crossed my mind this a.m. when I was making Satin Balls for my dogs. Have you ever heard of these?

Here is the recipe I use:

Put weight on your dog with "satin balls"

I use the version for small dogs, with 1 lb. hamburger. Sometimes I double the recipe and use two lbs. They are very tasty and the boys love 'em.

The vet assistant and I thought Marty gained a one lb but when I weight him yesterday he weight 12 lbs and a few ounces! I did joke with the vet assistant that the one lb may be poop! I think I was right! It is hard to tell if is gaining weight . Marty poop a lot for small dog! No, I never heard of Satin Balls . A woman from the shelter called me today and told me up to pick up Marty unless I really need to. I was told to her the shelter back Monday and let them know how things when over the weekend with Marty. If I bring him
I use get another dog and not have to pay any more money. I really hope it will work out with Marty, I hate to have to bring him back after all he been through! :(

Marty poop a lot for small dog!

Hey, that's good news, isn't it?? So he's all ok in handling his digestion now? That's wonderful.

Life of the dog-owner - always concerned about the poop!

With the Satin Balls, they are very easily digested and have very good things in them to keep the dog's coat shiny, eyes bright, healthy weight, etc. I use them as a supplement on top of kibble.

After I make them up, I freeze them and then put them in Zip-lock bags. I use one a day, take it out of the freezer and put it in the microwave for 15 seconds. Then I crumble just a little bit of it into Pippin's dish (since he is chubby already), and about 3/4 of one meatball for Casey. Mix it well into their food.

They ADORE it.

Awwwww. :(
I hate to say it, but the dog could have a propensity to bite. Just be aware of lawsuits you could face if it bites again. Good luck, I am wishing you the best!

Hey, that's good news, isn't it?? So he's all ok in handling his digestion now? That's wonderful.

Life of the dog-owner - always concerned about the poop!

With the Satin Balls, they are very easily digested and have very good things in them to keep the dog's coat shiny, eyes bright, healthy weight, etc. I use them as a supplement on top of kibble.

After I make them up, I freeze them and then put them in Zip-lock bags. I use one a day, take it out of the freezer and put it in the microwave for 15 seconds. Then I crumble just a little bit of it into Pippin's dish (since he is chubby already), and about 3/4 of one meatball for Casey. Mix it well into their food.

They ADORE it.
His poop is to still not normal , it's too lose. I think the Satin Balls would be too heavy for Marty right now , he is stilling taking meds and his tummy has to be setup for this.

Awwwww. :(
I hate to say it, but the dog could have a propensity to bite. Just be aware of lawsuits you could face if it bites again. Good luck, I am wishing you the best!

This what I am concerned about, when he bit my fingers he did not break my skin but it sure did hurt! And a child fingers a lot tinier than mine and it could had been worst! I am being to think Marty was slapped around a lot and he is not sure what I am going to do to him.

This what I am concerned about, when he bit my fingers he did not break my skin but it sure did hurt! And a child fingers a lot tinier than mine and it could had been worst! I am being to think Marty was slapped around a lot and he is not sure what I am going to do to him.

I think that is the problem. When we got Joey, he was 5 and had been beaten and starved.

It took a year for him to trust us.

Now after one and one half years, we can handle him with no fear, no biting, and he is very playful and joyful.

You know like me as an abused child, it is hard to get over no matter what species you are.

If you can keep him behind a gate when your granddaughter visits until he is secure I think it is a good chance he will be okay.

I am being to think Marty was slapped around a lot and he is not sure what I am going to do to him.

That could well be. Be very careful when handling him around his face. Easy does it, and like Bottesini said, it will take time.

You could be right about the hamburger balls being too rich for him. Keep following your vet's recommendation for food. I hope poor Marty is feeling better soon.
--------------------

This came to my inbox today:

http://www.carolinapoodlerescue.org/newsletterwebsite/april_11.html

Note that the first story highlighted on the right-hand side of the page is about a rescue poodle who bit everyone who tried to reach her. The approach they are taking is to hold this little girl wrapped in a towel, and to have her held by 3 people a day, for 15 minutes each.

Your Marty is SO much better off than this little girl, but maybe some of the ideas of how they are treating Violet might give you some ideas for Marty.

Last edited:
So, how did your weekend go? How is Marty doing? Have you decided if you will keep him or not?

I have my fingers crossed that Marty is better and you have not had any more biting.

One thought: since he did not break the skin on that bite, it shows he does have SOME bite inhibition. Otherwise he would have kept going.

If his tummy is still a problem and he still has the runs, you could try giving him about a teaspoon of canned pumpkin mixed with his food. NOT pumpkin pie filling; that has too many spices. Just plain canned pumpkin. This should help with the loose stools.

I know it's a tough decision to keep a dog once a question has come up about its temperament. Good luck with whatever you decide.

With such a loving caring owner like you, Marty will come to trust you and other people before too long. With Marty being unwell at this time, it is not accurate to judge his temperament on what might have been an automatic reaction to pain, especially if he was mistreated before you got him. All the best to the both of you. :)

Marty was shipped from a kill shelter in Calif. to a shelter that does not kill animals . The shelter is in my state, Mass. and about a 50 minutes ride from my home. The shelter has web site with all the dog and cats looking for a forever home. I saw Brad Pitt's photo on the shelter web site and when there with my daughter and granddaughter as I wanted to see how Brad got along with children. No people do request for a pet from another state at this shelter, the shelter works with shelters all over the place ,they have dogs from other countries . You can request that the shelter let you know when a person had a pet they're giving up. I did this but the dogs where older than I wanted, they where 6 and 7 years old.

I am a dog trainer located in MA, though I am currently only offering group classes, as I don't have time to do private training right now.

Do you mind me asking what trainer you are using? Just curious if it is someone I know or have worked with. If you don't want to answer on the public part of the board you can PM me.

I also work in a veterinary hospital and it is quite common for ill animals to not show their true personalities. Very often we have sick animals come in that show no reactions during initial exams/placing catheters/drawing blood etc. But once they start feeling better, look out! Here come the teeth and claws.

I'd be hesitant, without actually seeing the dog and seeing it's body language, labeling this issue as a pain reaction. Of course, it could be pain/discomfort. But it could just as easily be fear. If it was pain, that is the most promising outcome. Medication and healing will help with that. But if it is fear or nervousness, that is a longer road. Working with dogs that are fear aggressive or reactive can take a lot of time and dedication, and I would not fault you if you did not feel you were up to that. Most people aren't.

Did your dog break skin when he bit? If not, that shows that the dog has good bite inhibition (dogs have excellent control over their mouths - if they mean to do damage, they will) and is a good sign.

-----------------

Okay, I should have finished reading the thread before I replied, since you answered the question about if Marty broke skin or not. And Beach Girl also mentioned the fact that not breaking skin is a positive sign as far as bite inhibition goes.

:wave:hey frostywolf, another trainer here:)

Beach girl, nope, not going to make that ...was hoping to go to ARC Nat.'s this year in Lancaster, which also coincides with CRC 's specialty but not gonna happen either.:(

So, how's about an update on Marty??? I think it is long overdue! How is he doing? Has he healed up? Does he seem happy now? Any more issues with biting or nipping?

And - we want pictures!!

Could it be that "Marty" is very jealous?....my Pom nips at people's legs if they are a stranger that comes into my home, or someone that drops by occassionally....mainly men....She will "nip" the leg of someone (but not the family) if they walk "too close" her cookie or toy also...I've scolded her about it...haven't tried to "spank" her or anything like that, or even pop her on the nose when she does it....

So, I pick her up whenever someone comes over and let her smell their hand. I think she's overly protective of our home, tho', and epecially of me.

Biting and house-training issues are among the top reasons dogs end up in shelters.

You means "mouthing," not "biting" right? People cite that their dogs bite, but really if you talk to the shelter workers, the dog doesn't actually bite-- they mouths.

Back