My Nerves Are SHOT!

JadeSkye

Reaction score
So, I would love to hear some suggestions from other parents of deaf/hard of hearing kids on how you handle taking them in public. Ever since my 3 year old daughter started showing signs of hearing loss it has been HELL most of the time to take her places in public. She seems to do ok at first but after a few minutes she starts with either wanting out of the cart or shrieking to get my attention or some other thing that eventually starts to grate on my nerves... I think I realized today that I DEFINITELY don't need to take her out anywhere if it is near nap time (she is three but still takes a good nap each day after lunch). I think maybe her being tired makes things worse... And now that we have an actual idea of where her hearing is at (moderate to moderately-severe) I think I might be understanding more about why she acts worse in public places (maybe there is too much "noise" that she is unable to really interpret so it is just tiring her out worse?). She should be meeting with the audiologist soon to get fitted for hearing aids, but I would love to know some of your ideas for making outings a little more bearable in the mean time... Since her hearing is worst in the high pitches it seems that she shrieks SO much (probably because SHE can't hear it) and my hearing is actually pretty sensitive in the high pitches so it feels like those sounds just cut right into my head! And I know everyone in the store is wondering why the heck this child is screeching for no apparent reason! Does anyone have any ideas on how to make outings more enjoyable for EVERYONE involved? Are there things you do for distraction to keep your kid from getting overwhelmed by all the noises that happen when out in public? It was funny because today it seemed like the happiest moment for her was when she was in the cart and we were bumping over the parking lot- it makes a pretty deep rumbly noise and there are also vibrations and I think she was picking up on that because she pointed to the cart and then to her ears (she hears low pitches the best at around 35-40db). Plus, she IS three and quite independent and wanting to do things HER way (see what she wants to see, etc.) and it is hard to communicate to her that she needs to wait (we are all just learning sign so I use "no" and "sit" a lot when we are in public but that is mostly what I can communicate to her at those times). :ty: in advance for any tips!! (My nerves will definitely thank you too!)

wow.. sounds like it's just.. HER being.. HER.

I'm not a parent of deaf children but.. I'm deaf and my parents are hearing. My mom said that I was a great child. I don't scream or grunt in public. when I was a baby, if I cry or scream or make noises, mom would EXPLAIN To me that it's loud and it's not approperate. she would "shush" me and said .. look around... i see that people are staring at me and realized that what i did was... "wrong". so i learned from that behavor and reduced it.

idk if it's b/c her aids are LOUD. have you tried lowing it and see if it makes a difference? if she's crying or screaming, try lowering them or take them off and see if there's a difference. if there is then there you go. but i highly doubt it b/c she would have behaved that at home or in the car ride, noises is EVERYWHERE.

maybe she's frustrated that she doesn't understand things... but i doubt that's it b/c she's only 3. i think it's b/c she's just .. in her "terrible threes" (not twos lol) .. or she just didn't LEARN that it's not polite to scream at the top of her lungs yet...

Guess I should clarify that she doesn't have her hearing aids yet... And I guess I mis-spoke when I said "maybe there is too much noise"... I didn't mean it quite that way- because obviously she isn't really hearing anything. I think what I meant is maybe there is too much outside input that she is not understanding (because of the busy-ness of being in public- all the people and things going on, etc.). Obviously there is not too much noise because she is not hearing much at this point- that was my mistake for stating it that way and confusing people... I do think that part of it is just her being three. But I also think that part of it has to be the hearing loss because she is loud at home too and it is just hard at this moment to know what messages are getting across to her and what aren't. I use the bit of sign language I know but it is not enough to make sure that she is not confused sometimes... Thanks for the input, though- I do appreciate it and I am beginning to see that it is probably just part of her being three...

I echo the sentiment that it's more likely her age, rather than her hearing loss. 3 year olds tend to have a mind of their own.

Just continue learning ASL, and maybe try to find ways to engage her while you're out incorporating the signs you've learned so far.

How is her receptive and expressive language (according to assessments)?

My three year old is hearing while my other is Deaf and me and the wife also Deaf... He is by far the loudest kid in the family. He definitely takes advantage of us not being able to hear. Definitely. It can be challenging taking him out to restaurants but he's learning and getting a little better and better. Still shrieks, yells to get our attention, bangs the table, etc. MOM! MOM! DAD! DAD! Then the temper tantrums just... are wow... loud. Poor hearing people. Sorry!

I recently got hearing aids so... it's getting better.

Many people, even to this day, tell me that I speak a little too loud. My husband tells me that my volume increases when I don't have my HAs in. I remember as a child my mom shushing me frequently or to lower my voice. I'm guessing that because your daughter doesn't hear you or her own voice, she's probably unintentionally making herself loud because she doesn't understand just how loud she is. To me, it seems an age thing until she is able to understand why she needs to lower her volume.

How is her receptive and expressive language (according to assessments)?

We have not had any assessments done as far as that is concerned... This is all so new and I don't really know what direction they are taking her in. We have only seen an ENT and audiologist- no speech therapists or other therapists that would do those type of assessments. I am sure that will be happening soon, though, because I am in contact with FSDB as well as our local group for helping with early intervention (it is a group called FDLERS/ChildFind and they help hook you up with services- I am sure assessments will be part of this eventually). With that being said, though, I do believe her language skills are pretty good. When she was hearing she definitely could tell you what she wants and understand what you were telling her. She appears to still be able to pick up things now but she definitely does better with ASL than speech at times- she understands the signs we have taught her so far and uses them to express what she needs when they are appropriate for the situation.

Then the temper tantrums just... are wow... loud. Poor hearing people. Sorry!

:lol: This made me laugh! I find myself telling my husband "if we don't figure something out soon I think I will be going deaf too!" I have always had pretty sensitive ears (I pick up on the hum of fluorescent lights which a lot of hearing people don't and other things) and the high pitches she hits when she screams/screeches cut right through me!! What makes it worse is that her hearing loss is WORSE in the high pitches, so I am sure if she is hearing ANY of her screaming it probably just sounds like a whisper to her!! Definitely not to me though!!

Is it possible she's bored? She's not getting as much environmental stimulation so that, coupled with being 3, could lead to her trying to occupy herself and one thing that toddlers LOVE is driving mom crazy. She probably knows it bothers you when she screams, so she does.

My son and my daughter went through those terrible toddler years. My son would get I to a screaming fit if he didn't get his way in public. Now, he is 7 years old and very well behaved. Too a lot of patience and being firm with him. My daughter never really had horrific tantrums in public..she tends to do things I trovertly and gets into these dark moods. Now, she is 15 years old and still has her dark moods. Kids are NOT easy!

With 3 rowdy and loud boys...my nerves were shot to hell and at times I was a frazzled wreck.....:giggle:....and I was deaf and they were hearing...and no amount of telling them..."you don't have to yell when telling me something"...(all hearies think they need to yell at deafies or HOH people)...Felt sort of sorry for the neighbors!....:giggle:...Survived it all, and 2 are on their own...Good Luck!

My son and my daughter went through those terrible toddler years. My son would get I to a screaming fit if he didn't get his way in public. Now, he is 7 years old and very well behaved. Too a lot of patience and being firm with him. My daughter never really had horrific tantrums in public..she tends to do things I trovertly and gets into these dark moods. Now, she is 15 years old and still has her dark moods. Kids are NOT easy!

That's part of why I'm grateful I have two boys.. Girls can be complicated! :)

With 3 rowdy and loud boys...my nerves were shot to hell and at times I was a frazzled wreck.....:giggle:....and I was deaf and they were hearing...and no amount of telling them..."you don't have to yell when telling me something"...(all hearies think they need to yell at deafies or HOH people)...Felt sort of sorry for the neighbors!....:giggle:...Survived it all, and 2 are on their own...Good Luck!

As complicated as girls can be, boys are definitely a force to be reckoned with! They don't stop!!

Sounds like a stage. I have seen some kids like this, I don't think hearing level has anything to do with it. The sad part is, I have seen these people receive a lot of advice but none of it worked. You just have to wait them out.

My hearing daughter who just turned 4 behaves the same way. It is getting better slowly but it still grates at my nerves and drives me batty sometimes. Hang in there! Who said parenting was easy...lol

Hang in there!

Back