My Main PC Hard Disk Drive is dead. Blah!

I am concerns about that one. I already order Windows 7 Family Pack/ Home Premium Upgrade, but how I could installing new OS on new HDD without XP installed?

Read CAREFULLY...

Now I have a problem! I can't active a product key without XP installed. My XP CD in unreadable. What's I do?

Read CAREFULLY...

Now I have a problem! I can't active a product key without XP installed. My XP CD in unreadable. What's I do?
You must use the Windows 7 key.

The XP key is irrelevant now.

You must use the Windows 7 key.

The XP key is irrelevant now.
Unfortunately, this is incorrect. There are two versions of Windows 7 a user can purchase - a "Full" and an "Upgrade".

Josh B: If you follow the steps I outlined for recovering your old hard disks' contents, you may be able to boot into XP in order to run the Windows 7 installer.

If that does not work, it would appear your best bet would be to run your installer, but when it prompts you for the product key, don't put one in. That should allow you to finish the installation. From there, you can add your product key after the installer is finished and manually activate your copy of Windows 7 by phone.

Unfortunately, this is incorrect. There are two versions of Windows 7 a user can purchase - a "Full" and an "Upgrade".

Josh B: If you follow the steps I outlined for recovering your old hard disks' contents, you may be able to boot into XP in order to run the Windows 7 installer.

If that does not work, it would appear your best bet would be to run your installer, but when it prompts you for the product key, don't put one in. That should allow you to finish the installation. From there, you can add your product key after the installer is finished and manually activate your copy of Windows 7 by phone.
What is incorrect? You can't use an XP product key on a 7 install.

What is incorrect? You can't use an XP product key on a 7 install.

No, but the original poster indicated that s/he had purchased an upgrade version of Windows 7. According to Microsoft, an upgrade copy of Windows 7 will look for a version of XP or higher already being installed on the computer. So she may still need it to prove that it is an upgrade if they have to call to activate the copy (assuming it lets them install at all).

No, but the original poster indicated that s/he had purchased an upgrade version of Windows 7. According to Microsoft, an upgrade copy of Windows 7 will look for a version of XP or higher already being installed on the computer. So she may still need it to prove that it is an upgrade if they have to call to activate the copy (assuming it lets them install at all).
Well, from what I understood, the OP's hard drive was going bad and he was trying to install Windows 7 on a new hard drive. There would not be anything for it to detect on a new hard drive.

Hey fellas, I got it active a product key on new HDD by called MS last 4 weeks ago...
Sorry for very late reply. I an drooling too much on Windows 7. :lol:

Hey fellas, I got it active a product key on new HDD by called MS last 4 weeks ago...
Sorry for very late reply. I an drooling too much on Windows 7. :lol:

And you just left them here fighting about it?? :nono:

Back