My journey to hearing with a Cochlear Implant

Your brain has to learn to interpret new signals. It takes time. (In soothing voice) It will be OK...
Lol,cute!! Im trying to be patient,i really am!! Oh by the way,what are some of the exercises or web sites, for learning to listen or whatever, do you know?

I can't believe they're making you wait till the 18th of July for your next mapping. I'd think they'd want to see you in one or two weeks. At my clinic they actually had me come back the next day, then a week later then a month. Now I'm in the every 3 months cycle till I hit 18 months out. Of course, if I feel I need adjustments, I can go back earlier.
Probably did that because of how far away we live,they were the closest to us a little over 3 hrs! After this next visit u can start going to another place which is about an hr away. If i change insurance theres 1 place in my town that does it and thats it but they dont take my insurance, my insurance i have now is the only one that helps pay for hearing aids also,which i will need soon,so im kinda stuck!

Probably did that because of how far away we live,they were the closest to us a little over 3 hrs! After this next visit u can start going to another place which is about an hr away. If i change insurance theres 1 place in my town that does it and thats it but they dont take my insurance, my insurance i have now is the only one that helps pay for hearing aids also,which i will need soon,so im kinda stuck!

It looks like you live in rural area?

Oh I see, I live in suburb, however, it went thorough the rural on HWY 11.
I love it out here,no neighbors plenty of privacy and all that,but kinda far away from everything,its a drive to get anywhere just about!

I love it out here,no neighbors plenty of privacy and all that,but kinda far away from everything,its a drive to get anywhere just about!

I have Usher Syndrome so driving isn't option in Alabama anymore, however it is fine in some other states.

I have Usher Syndrome so driving isn't option in Alabama anymore, however it is fine in some other states.
I had to look that up,i was not familiar with that,yes i can see where that would be a problem,im sorry to hear you have that

I had to look that up,i was not familiar with that,yes i can see where that would be a problem,im sorry to hear you have that

Yes, I have 90 degrees visual field for two eyes combined since Alabama require 110 degrees, so I drove for 10 years before had to stop it.

Yes, I have 90 degrees visual field for two eyes combined since Alabama require 110 degrees, so I drove for 10 years before had to stop it.
Wow that doesnt seem fair, thats so close for them not to let you drive. Yeah alabama has some really tough laws. I live close to alabama/ fl line so im there a lot,so whats legal for fl isnt for alabama, sucks!

Wow that doesnt seem fair, thats so close for them not to let you drive. Yeah alabama has some really tough laws. I live close to alabama/ fl line so im there a lot,so whats legal for fl isnt for alabama, sucks!

I went to PCB and Destin many times, also Pensacola few times. Yes, alcoholic beverage laws are relaxed in Florida that where you can buy in private liquor stores, but not case with Alabama.

In Florida, visual field with above 130 degrees are required to drive in Florida but they do have asset protection so it means people won't lose the house or car if they are sued.

I went to PCB and Destin many times, also Pensacola few times. Yes, alcoholic beverage laws are relaxed in Florida that where you can buy in private liquor stores, but not case with Alabama.

In Florida, visual field with above 130 degrees are required to drive in Florida but they do have asset protection so it means people won't lose the house or car if they are sued.
Everybody loves our beaches i guess,i miss the way they used to be,with the hugh sand dunes,it uswd to be so pretty, all the blooming hotels and condo's have gotten rid of that.

Everybody loves our beaches i guess,i miss the way they used to be,with the hugh sand dunes,it uswd to be so pretty, all the blooming hotels and condo's have gotten rid of that.

Yes, PCB is losing the own culture after real estate boom, along with expensive condos and houses, even Destin has same issue.

In 25 years ago, 3 nights stay gonna cost less than $300 but now, it is over $1,000.

Yes, PCB is losing the own culture after real estate boom, along with expensive condos and houses, even Destin has same issue.

In 25 years ago, 3 nights stay gonna cost less than $300 but now, it is over $1,000.
You got that right,it really upsets me cause i remember how beautiful it was, and i muss it like that. Oh i know the prices out there are through the roof,its just aweful.:(

Awesome,thanks,I will go look that up right now!! I have been watching tv for yrs using cc,does that help any or no,i guess reading isnt really listening huh?!

Listening while reading is a great start. Then try to listen without reading but keep the cc on to look at when you miss a word.

I diwnload audiobooks & eBooks from the library and listen while I read. I should be doing listening and only reading when I miss something but, for me, it can be a pain to pause the audio while I read to catch up. Especially when I do it while on my walk.

Listening while reading is a great start. Then try to listen without reading but keep the cc on to look at when you miss a word.

I diwnload audiobooks & eBooks from the library and listen while I read. I should be doing listening and only reading when I miss something but, for me, it can be a pain to pause the audio while I read to catch up. Especially when I do it while on my walk.
I downloaded the angelsound late last night,that took a while even with dsl!! I havent started it yet (just got up) but i will! I have been trying to listen to the tv without reading,not a lot of luck yet,guess im expecting a lot for 5 days huh?I tried to go back and find out but, how long have you had your implant again? Ebooks sounds like a good idea also will have to try that too,i just want to hurry up and hear and understand!!

I downloaded the angelsound late last night,that took a while even with dsl!! I havent started it yet (just got up) but i will! I have been trying to listen to the tv without reading,not a lot of luck yet,guess im expecting a lot for 5 days huh?I tried to go back and find out but, how long have you had your implant again? Ebooks sounds like a good idea also will have to try that too,i just want to hurry up and hear and understand!!
I was activated 2/14/17. I was able to understand, though it was robotic, at my activation. But I still struggle with some words. My last mapping, on 6/1, I scored 80% on sentences, but only around 50-60%, I think, on words only. I've gotten a bit lax on rehabbing because I am doing much better than before the implant in most conversations. I did need to use my Roger Pen (FM system) last night talking with some people.

Back