My journey to hearing with a Cochlear Implant

I was activated 2/14/17. I was able to understand, though it was robotic, at my activation. But I still struggle with some words. My last mapping, on 6/1, I scored 80% on sentences, but only around 50-60%, I think, on words only. I've gotten a bit lax on rehabbing because I am doing much better than before the implant in most conversations. I did need to use my Roger Pen (FM system) last night talking with some people.
I am doing absolutly horrible on everything,i cannot hardly understand anyone speaking,its all humming,staticy,feel like im in a box sounding, i tried the app the sounds i got 1 right after listening over and over,it all sounds the same, no difference in pitch,is there something wrong for me to be doing this bad? Just sitting here blubbering while writing this,sorry

I am doing absolutly horrible on everything,i cannot hardly understand anyone speaking,its all humming,staticy,feel like im in a box sounding, i tried the app the sounds i got 1 right after listening over and over,it all sounds the same, no difference in pitch,is there something wrong for me to be doing this bad? Just sitting here blubbering while writing this,sorry

Have you consider to find a speech therapy? They may help you to adapt with sounds from CI.

Have you consider to find a speech therapy? They may help you to adapt with sounds from CI.
No i havent thought about that,went to speech therapy from elementary school to high school which is why my speech is as good as it is,would probably cost money for that and just dont havw the extra funds right now,Going to keep trying with the angel sounds and turning music up really loud,maybe something will click!!

No i havent thought about that,went to speech therapy from elementary school to high school which is why my speech is as good as it is,would probably cost money for that and just dont havw the extra funds right now,Going to keep trying with the angel sounds and turning music up really loud,maybe something will click!!

I believe that insurance usually pay in full for speech therapy and rehab, I think so, but they may changed.

Have you tried to turn the volume down? That's happened to me when I got first CI in 1996 and the volume on TV was too loud so I turned most to down but my sister complained that she can't hear about what TV saying, so I turned the processor off or suffered myself in loud environment.

How vexing this is!
Do you meditate? You could try meditating with the sounds on, and eventually ignore the sounds. It sounds nuts, but I have read of researches that "prove" that your emotional state affects your physical reality. They did experiments at which subjects were able to change the shapes of snowflakes through emotional thought. I hope you know what I mean.
Just turn the sounds on, then meditate, which means ignoring them. Everything has its own time and place, and eventually something will click, causing you to jump up and yell "Eureka!"
As sono says, it could take six months, so don't try to push it or rush it.

I believe that insurance usually pay in full for speech therapy and rehab, I think so, but they may changed.

Have you tried to turn the volume down? That's happened to me when I got first CI in 1996 and the volume on TV was too loud so I turned most to down but my sister complained that she can't hear about what TV saying, so I turned the processor off or suffered myself in loud environment.
I will have to check into that,see how my insurance works. Yeah afraid i have tried that with the tv,went one way then the other,then turned on surround sound which made it louder,that may have helped some. Ihave worn ha in other ear,have turned it off all together,trying to figure out what the problem is,or is it my brain just not adapting like it should

I will have to check into that,see how my insurance works. Yeah afraid i have tried that with the tv,went one way then the other,then turned on surround sound which made it louder,that may have helped some. Ihave worn ha in other ear,have turned it off all together,trying to figure out what the problem is,or is it my brain just not adapting like it should

It take some time for brain to adapt the new CI sounds.

On my CI pre-certification from my insurance, it says they requires rehab. My rehab is covered. They don't want to pay for an expensive implant and the patient doesn't get full benefit from it because the patient didn't have access to rehab. This doesn't mean your insurance will cover it. And your clinic may not offer rehab.

On my CI pre-certification from my insurance, it says they requires rehab. My rehab is covered. They don't want to pay for an expensive implant and the patient doesn't get full benefit from it because the patient didn't have access to rehab. This doesn't mean your insurance will cover it. And your clinic may not offer rehab.
I dont know what my precertification was orher than to have bad enough of a hearing loss to need it,havent heard anything about any rehab of any kind,not yet anyway, it hasnt been a week yet (tomorrow). I got mine done in birmingham a little over 3 hr drive,trying to get closer in to me,but they havent said anything either

How vexing this is!
Do you meditate? You could try meditating with the sounds on, and eventually ignore the sounds. It sounds nuts, but I have read of researches that "prove" that your emotional state affects your physical reality. They did experiments at which subjects were able to change the shapes of snowflakes through emotional thought. I hope you know what I mean.
Just turn the sounds on, then meditate, which means ignoring them. Everything has its own time and place, and eventually something will click, causing you to jump up and yell "Eureka!"
As sono says, it could take six months, so don't try to push it or rush it.
I can really understand you emotional state having to do with physical or what not,i have never meditated,though i can shut off and go somewhere deep in thought for a few mins, dont think thats the same thing though!! Yep, im really waiting for the eurika moment believe me!! Must be cause im blonde?!!;)

Figured I should post an update. Last visit about 2 months ago to the Audiologist, I had a 97% sentence recognition with my implant only! That's a small jump from the 31% speech recognition I had when wearing both hearing aids. Hope everyone has been doing good and if you have any questions, ask away! :)
How well do you understand speech in noise now?

How well do you understand speech in noise now?

It's been about a year, but I believe I was at 60% understanding at a level 7? I'll email my audiologist to get the specifics and I do have another appointment coming up soon for a retest.

Compared to hearing aids alone, I can hear much better. It's by no means perfect, but I can actually follow a group conversation without trying so hard to read everyone's lips.

Back