My IEP's rights

JoeyDeafNinja

Reaction score
Hey everybody. To be honest with you all. I actually have a little knowledge of IEP's rights for me and for my mainstream school. :lol: Can anyone explain this to me? I knew I have a IEP's right for many years but I didn't know their rights for me because no one told me about it. :/. Thanks!

-JK

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have at least another year of high school left or do you graduate this year?

YAY!!!! Only one more year! You could put on your IEP " Joey will not do random Ninja Attacks in School":D

Sadly nope.

You should read the papers dude. I always review my IEP crap before PPT and always read the final version for the next year.

It allows you to understand what you are going to have/do the next year and what you need to complete before off to college. Sometimes some of the stuff is a waste of time therefore you just tell them not to put it on the IEP.

You should read the papers dude. I always review my IEP crap before PPT and always read the final version for the next year.

It allows you to understand what you are going to have/do the next year and what you need to complete before off to college. Sometimes some of the stuff is a waste of time therefore you just tell them not to put it on the IEP.

I don't think Joey knew that he was permitted to review his IEP. It sounds like his parents have kept him in the dark.

What is an iep? I am knew to deaf so i was hearing all through out school. Do i need to do one before college? I have been curious of how college would work for me being deaf now. I have profound loss and can speech read a little bit. I don't know sign language but, want to learn. I feel like i'd have to go college and take a few courses in asl to finish my college education. Lol

What is an iep? I am knew to deaf so i was hearing all through out school. Do i need to do one before college? I have been curious of how college would work for me being deaf now. I have profound loss and can speech read a little bit. I don't know sign language but, want to learn. I feel like i'd have to go college and take a few courses in asl to finish my college education. Lol

I learned that all deaf should have a IEP. I think IEP gives you a fair rights. For example, teachers have to give you a notes each time when they teach a lessons, so you can watch terp all time without having to look down and write the notes. Hearings doesn't need a notes from teachers because they can listen and write down at same time.

Very interesting. I will have to look more into because I want to go to college. I have only been deaf for 5 years and still not sure. I haven't met anyone to teach me ASL and have been really bummed out about it because I lack communication skills except for writing and doing a horrible job of speech reading.

Very interesting. I will have to look more into because I want to go to college. I have only been deaf for 5 years and still not sure. I haven't met anyone to teach me ASL and have been really bummed out about it because I lack communication skills except for writing and doing a horrible job of speech reading.
The IEP is for elementary and secondary school students only. College students don't use an IEP.

If you're not a signer, you might prefer to use a live transcription service, such as CART, for classroom lectures. I suggest you research the various kinds of services that might suit your needs. Then, go to the disabilities office at the college of your choice, armed with that information. Sit down and talk to them about options for classroom accommodations.

Also, have you inquired about ASL classes at your local colleges? More and more of them are offering them. Some are offered as continuing ed (no credit) classes, and some are offered for full credit. Make sure it's an ASL class and not a generic sign language class.

Also, don't forget that colleges offer on-line classes that might fit some of your needs.

The IEP is for elementary and secondary school students only. College students don't use an IEP.

If you're not a signer, you might prefer to use a live transcription service, such as CART, for classroom lectures. I suggest you research the various kinds of services that might suit your needs. Then, go to the disabilities office at the college of your choice, armed with that information. Sit down and talk to them about options for classroom accommodations.

Also, have you inquired about ASL classes at your local colleges? More and more of them are offering them. Some are offered as continuing ed (no credit) classes, and some are offered for full credit. Make sure it's an ASL class and not a generic sign language class.

Also, don't forget that colleges offer on-line classes that might fit some of your needs.

I know which every way I go I will be needing a tutor. I was a special education student for slow learning. I am really good with english and horrible at Math. I wanted to ultimately go for a teaching degree in special education working with deaf and HoH children since becoming deaf myself. I hope to learn ASL but, the ASL classes here cost a lot. $450 plus a class. How many classes do I take before becoming fluent? I am just way overloaded with all this and definately looking into CART. THANKS!

I know which every way I go I will be needing a tutor. I was a special education student for slow learning. I am really good with english and horrible at Math. I wanted to ultimately go for a teaching degree in special education working with deaf and HoH children since becoming deaf myself. I hope to learn ASL but, the ASL classes here cost a lot. $450 plus a class. How many classes do I take before becoming fluent? I am just way overloaded with all this and definately looking into CART. THANKS!
Is the ASL class for college credit?

Have you taken a placement exam for college?

Have you applied to VR for financial aid for college?

Back