My Experience in Australia

curly

Reaction score
I visited Australia a while ago for my school program. I fell in love with the experience I had and it was an awesome adventure with a group from my school. I would love to come back there sometimes but next time I don't have to follow my school program schedule and stuff like that.

Random question: if there is anyone here from Australia, is there a Deaf culture/awareness in that place? Just curious. I bumped into a few who related to Deaf but, of course, signs are somewhat different.

I am an Australian Ad'er here for the last 4 years. the deaf Culture is aware on some major cities (otherwise not the city I live in, terrible service CEO is a hater etc) and yes, AUSLAN (Australian Sign language) is different to ASL, I am fluent in ASL, and I can compare the differences in both languages

When you were visiting Australia, which city did you visit? :hmm:

I definitely enjoyed both trips to Australia!!!!!!! There's soooo much to see and I haven't been to the west coast yet as well as the north. Only east coast and south... Next time I travel to Australia those will be in my schedule along with Tasmania and New Zealand. Gotta do that one too :D

Oh, we visited several different places actually for about six weeks. I think mainly Brisbane areas, Stradbroke Island, and Gold Coast. We stayed in the Bunya Mtns for one weekend camping. And Gatton (really small town). And others. I have a old list of places we were at.

Cool, I remember the Australian sign for "beautiful girls." A guy walked by us at airport said that to me and my interpreter. :lol:

And one more thing I would not forget - the stars at nighttime during staying at Fraser Island.

I definitely enjoyed both trips to Australia!!!!!!! There's soooo much to see and I haven't been to the west coast yet as well as the north. Only east coast and south... Next time I travel to Australia those will be in my schedule along with Tasmania and New Zealand. Gotta do that one too :D

Ooh, keep posted about that someday. I would like to hear about it :)

I went to Australia on a two weeks-long trip last August and it was one of the best trips that I had ever experienced.

Melby (Melbourne) is the best place in Australia that I enjoy very much. I am planning to go there on a three weeks-long trip in 2013 or 2014 because one of my fraternity brothers offered me a free one-week stay at one of his condos in Brisbane. :D

Brisbane is great! Be sure and ask for some Bug's when you go out to dinner. :)

I went to Sydney over the Christmas break. It was very nice and pleasant. I won't go back but it was nice to get out of the country.

My hubby has some friends who live in Australia just as I do. We definitely would love to visit there. Maybe when my daughter graduates from high school.

I think that would be really awesome, Shel! I hope you get to go sometime:wave:

Hi I'm a NSW Aussie, currently in Thailand. I go home from time to time usually due to my Thai visa requirements. I get to catch up with my deaf friends and practice face to face signing when I go home otherwise I have AD. Auslan is different from ASL but we do have some similar signs. Even though our fingerspelling is 2-handed, most AUSLAN users also know the ASL one-handed fingerspelling. (NB: The signs for 'what' and 'where' are the other way around in Auslan. :giggle: )

Back