My coclear implant surgery

Well I go back on monday the 17th for my programming,the humming i used to hear isnt quiet as bad anymore,but sorry to say the understanding what people say or listening to music and hear something other than what sounds like static hasnt changed for me. I e-mailed my audioloogist with these questions and comments,still says im where im supposed to be,that it will take like 6 mths before im doing well with my implant, yes things are a little louder but not clear at all. My head is no longer sore,and it doesnt bother me at all wearing it,of course i have knocked it off several times (i run my fingers through my hair alot,or forget and put my sunglasses on my head and knock it off,luckily i always clip it to my hair! Oh and the metallic taste in my mouth is still there 2 mths later,hope it goes away soon,ick! Well guess we will see what happens monday,hopefully i will be better off this time!!
A friend of mine who got a CI about 10 years ago initially thought he made a huge mistake because when they activated it all he heard for several weeks was what to him sounded like potato chips being crunched. Each time he went back in they tweaked it a little bit here and the little bit there and about 6 months in he knew he had made the right decision. The kids who had implants at the deaf school that was part of the elementary school my kids went to all had their processors clipped to the collar of their shirts so they didn't fall off.

A friend of mine who got a CI about 10 years ago initially thought he made a huge mistake because when they activated it all he heard for several weeks was what to him sounded like potato chips being crunched. Each time he went back in they tweaked it a little bit here and the little bit there and about 6 months in he knew he had made the right decision. The kids who had implants at the deaf school that was part of the elementary school my kids went to all had their processors clipped to the collar of their shirts so they didn't fall off.
Aahh, finally someone says they didnt hear and understand what was being said right after activation! I had begun to think something was wrong with me or something,cause i just dont yet and its been a little over a mth since my activation. Yeah crunching chips is about what music sounds like to me,i hear the beat kinda and thats it. Thanks so much for telling me this i feel a little more hopfull now!! Yep can definetly understand clipping to the shirts,it does come off pretty easily!

i have to admit that i red your post twice !! and it made me think twice about it lol i have 0 tolerance towards pain and i hate being isolate it form the others for 3 weeks waiting for activation uhhhhh pain isolation and sleeping is it worth it , i always afraid that i will regret that later on

i have to admit that i red your post twice !! and it made me think twice about it lol i have 0 tolerance towards pain and i hate being isolate it form the others for 3 weeks waiting for activation uhhhhh pain isolation and sleeping is it worth it , i always afraid that i will regret that later on
Is a few weeks of discomfort worth a potential lifetime of hearing - only you can decide.

The pain wasnt bad really,just uncomfortable for a few weeks then it was fine,as far as regrets,well having the oportunity to hear again,yes it is worth it! Im not the most patient person in the world,that is my problem,im having to be patient to let this all fall into place for me,so i do kinda whine a little bit! Yes i think it is worth it all in all,but you have to make that choice for yourself! I am on my way right now for my 2nd audio visit will let you know how it goes!!

The pain wasnt bad really,just uncomfortable for a few weeks then it was fine,as far as regrets,well having the oportunity to hear again,yes it is worth it! Im not the most patient person in the world,that is my problem,im having to be patient to let this all fall into place for me,so i do kinda whine a little bit! Yes i think it is worth it all in all,but you have to make that choice for yourself! I am on my way right now for my 2nd audio visit will let you know how it goes!!
Thanks can you tell me more how the music sound its that horrible? Is the sounds in the activation sessions sound so bad

Thanks can you tell me more how the music sound its that horrible? Is the sounds in the activation sessions sound so bad
Well, this is my experience,as you have read everybody is different ok?! Um music for me right now sounds crackly, static,and i dont understand the words yet. I can hear the beat of the music sort of.. My activation experience was, things were louder,yes i could hear sounds i havent heard in a long time,its just my speech comprehension, people sound robotic like,which is supposed to be the norm when you first get activated i guess!

Late to the party! I had the same experience as you when I first got activated. Watching all the youtube vids of people responding and crying with joy, I was left somewhat disappointed because everything sounded robotic/metallic and I couldn't understand anything. Only advice I can give is KEEP wearing it as often as possible and eventually, it will all start to come together. After about 2 months for me, things started to sound more natural and then I started to smile. You've introduced new sounds your brain has not dealt with for a long time and once it figures out what's what, you'll be doing amazing. Congrats on your activation and I look forward to hearing more.

Late to the party! I had the same experience as you when I first got activated. Watching all the youtube vids of people responding and crying with joy, I was left somewhat disappointed because everything sounded robotic/metallic and I couldn't understand anything. Only advice I can give is KEEP wearing it as often as possible and eventually, it will all start to come together. After about 2 months for me, things started to sound more natural and then I started to smile. You've introduced new sounds your brain has not dealt with for a long time and once it figures out what's what, you'll be doing amazing. Congrats on your activation and I look forward to hearing more.
That is exactly how i feel,pretty dissapointed honestly,was really hoping to be one of those at activation saying oh wow! Oh yes will keep wearing it for sure,it does make you tired by the end of the day though doesnt it?!,iguess i try to listen and concentrate so hard it jyst wears me out! Thanks for telling me this!

Aahh, finally someone says they didnt hear and understand what was being said right after activation! I had begun to think something was wrong with me or something,cause i just dont yet and its been a little over a mth since my activation. Yeah crunching chips is about what music sounds like to me,i hear the beat kinda and thats it. Thanks so much for telling me this i feel a little more hopfull now!! Yep can definetly understand clipping to the shirts,it does come off pretty easily!
How long did it take you to understand speech?

How long did it take you to understand speech?
It took me longer than most from what i have read here it has been almost 7 mths now since being activated the robotic sound is gone,i still have that minnie mouse affects from womens voices! I understand more and more,but at the moment i still need to look at peoples faces while there talking. I had a programming done last week i am at 58% understanding w/o seeing the lips, before my implant i was at 14% comprehension,so guess its quiet an improvement! I do want to get my right ear done also,which would give me even more understanding!

It took me longer than most from what i have read here it has been almost 7 mths now since being activated the robotic sound is gone,i still have that minnie mouse affects from womens voices! I understand more and more,but at the moment i still need to look at peoples faces while there talking. I had a programming done last week i am at 58% understanding w/o seeing the lips, before my implant i was at 14% comprehension,so guess its quiet an improvement! I do want to get my right ear done also,which would give me even more understanding!
Maybe you have a weak hearing nerve . I don't have CI yet , but think it is better if you wait for another year to get the most 9 this ear and then add another CI.

Maybe you have a weak hearing nerve . I don't have CI yet , but think it is better if you wait for another year to get the most 9 this ear and then add another CI.
Idk,just know it seems to be taking so long my husband days i hear more than i think i do! I can hear and mostly understand what he says to me from another room,which before my ci was totally impossible

Idk,just know it seems to be taking so long my husband days i hear more than i think i do! I can hear and mostly understand what he says to me from another room,which before my ci was totally impossible
That's great. Maybe you will improve more.

Back