My coclear implant surgery

Discussion in 'Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants' started by BLONDI53, May 11, 2017.

1. seb

seb Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who got a CI about 10 years ago initially thought he made a huge mistake because when they activated it all he heard for several weeks was what to him sounded like potato chips being crunched. Each time he went back in they tweaked it a little bit here and the little bit there and about 6 months in he knew he had made the right decision. The kids who had implants at the deaf school that was part of the elementary school my kids went to all had their processors clipped to the collar of their shirts so they didn't fall off.

BLONDI53 likes this.
  2. BLONDI53

BLONDI53 Member

Aahh, finally someone says they didnt hear and understand what was being said right after activation! I had begun to think something was wrong with me or something,cause i just dont yet and its been a little over a mth since my activation. Yeah crunching chips is about what music sounds like to me,i hear the beat kinda and thats it. Thanks so much for telling me this i feel a little more hopfull now!! Yep can definetly understand clipping to the shirts,it does come off pretty easily!

Tetracyclone likes this.
  3. Salman

Salman New Member

i have to admit that i red your post twice !! and it made me think twice about it lol i have 0 tolerance towards pain and i hate being isolate it form the others for 3 weeks waiting for activation uhhhhh pain isolation and sleeping is it worth it , i always afraid that i will regret that later on

4. LoveBlue

LoveBlue Well-Known Member

Is a few weeks of discomfort worth a potential lifetime of hearing - only you can decide.

BLONDI53 likes this.
  5. Salman

Salman New Member

I been selected as a candidate since 2015 but I'm a chicken lol

6. BLONDI53

BLONDI53 Member

The pain wasnt bad really,just uncomfortable for a few weeks then it was fine,as far as regrets,well having the oportunity to hear again,yes it is worth it! Im not the most patient person in the world,that is my problem,im having to be patient to let this all fall into place for me,so i do kinda whine a little bit! Yes i think it is worth it all in all,but you have to make that choice for yourself! I am on my way right now for my 2nd audio visit will let you know how it goes!!

7. Salman

Salman New Member

Thanks can you tell me more how the music sound its that horrible? Is the sounds in the activation sessions sound so bad

8. BLONDI53

BLONDI53 Member

Well, this is my experience,as you have read everybody is different ok?! Um music for me right now sounds crackly, static,and i dont understand the words yet. I can hear the beat of the music sort of.. My activation experience was, things were louder,yes i could hear sounds i havent heard in a long time,its just my speech comprehension, people sound robotic like,which is supposed to be the norm when you first get activated i guess!