My coclear implant surgery

BLONDI53

Reaction score
Well so i had my surgery the 9th,so this is 2 days later now,im rather sore and have had a bad headache since comming out of surgery,it is getting a little better finally!! The pain meds im on helps a lot with the pain and discomfort,but makes me sleep a lot which i guess i need right now! I do have this really loud ringing in that ear which gets annoying cause i can barely hear anything else,hope this goes away soon.I really havent had the dizziness or nausea that i was told i might have which is great! I will go to my ent here in 2 weeks to see how everything is healing and so on,and then next mth my activation which im so excited for! Just wanted to tell a little of my experience with the surgery and all to maybe help anyone else out there! Guess im gonna lay down,have a bit of a road to recovery to go!

The ringing in the ear should go away. It's most likely your auditory nerve reacting to being stimulated (yes, I know you haven't been activated yet,but the implant seems to still some signals to the nerve without the processor). I had some loud "beeping" (can't remember the sound now - 4 months later) for about 24-36 hours a day or two after my surgery.
Take naps as often as your body tells you too. I thought I was ready to go back to work 6 days after my surgery and ended up coming home at lunch time and hopping into bed.

The ringing in the ear should go away. It's most likely your auditory nerve reacting to being stimulated (yes, I know you haven't been activated yet,but the implant seems to still some signals to the nerve without the processor). I had some loud "beeping" (can't remember the sound now - 4 months later) for about 24-36 hours a day or two after my surgery.
Take naps as often as your body tells you too. I thought I was ready to go back to work 6 days after my surgery and ended up coming home at lunch time and hopping into bed.
The ringing seems to have backed off some,its not quiet as loud now,thank god!! Now it feels totally stopped up, or something,yes i have been sleeping quiet a bit,when does some of the soreness go away so that i can maybe sleep on that side?!Yes i bet it was hard for you to try and go back to work cant imagine moving around,bending over or whatever without falling over!

First off, congrats! I replied to you in my thread about the sleeping question you had. I mentioned I waited about two weeks before laying flat but didn't mention it was almost 4 weeks or so before I actually slept on the side I had my implant. I look forward to your updates and hope you feel better soon!

First off, congrats! I replied to you in my thread about the sleeping question you had. I mentioned I waited about two weeks before laying flat but didn't mention it was almost 4 weeks or so before I actually slept on the side I had my implant. I look forward to your updates and hope you feel better soon!
Ok yeah saw that you had answered that!! Thanks,am very excited to get activated,cant wait!! I do wish my ear would unstop or whatever it is doing,everything is so very muffled right now, really cant hear now! Yes i can see that it would take a mth before being able to lay on that side,it is sooo sore!! Thanks for the info!!

It took me about 4 weeks also before I could lay on the implant. I did inch my way there. After about the 1st week (I, too, slept somewhat elevated in bed to help with the swelling/healing - used a bed wedge and extra pillow) I would place a small pillow under my jaw/chin as I semi leaned to that side. This kept the implant part of my head from touching the pillow and I just leaned a little more every few days.

It took me about 4 weeks also before I could lay on the implant. I did inch my way there. After about the 1st week (I, too, slept somewhat elevated in bed to help with the swelling/healing - used a bed wedge and extra pillow) I would place a small pillow under my jaw/chin as I semi leaned to that side. This kept the implant part of my head from touching the pillow and I just leaned a little more every few days.
Yep,i guess that is what i will have to do also,cant even touch it much less think about laying on that side!! My doc said i could wash my hair after 3 days but gosh its so tender i dont want to wash it so i just put a little soap on it barely touched it,then rinsed and patted dry,yes im a little wimp!!

Well its been 4 days since my implant,feeling better,not quiet as much pain now so reduced my pain meds,was rather tired of being sleepy and drugged all the time! My ear is still stopped up or full,whatever its called, just wish it would pop and open! Have started doing a little more around the house,not any heavy lifting or anything yet but light stuff. I have my 2 week check up the 23rd,will feel better then to know everything is healing as it should! How soon after the implant did yall wash your hair,did it hurt?! When did yall start picking up a little heavier stuff? Bet yall can tell im from fl huh?!!:D

Gosh, reading your posts makes me glad I decided against CI's. Lol. But seriously, I enjoy reading your posts and hope you heal quickly!

Gosh, reading your posts makes me glad I decided against CI's. Lol. But seriously, I enjoy reading your posts and hope you heal quickly!
Oh no, please dont say that i guess im being a little too honest or revealing,guess i was trying to tell my experience without hiding or smoothing things over,i am very glad i did this,and im very excited!! If i can even get 50% understanding back it is all sooo worth anything that i go through. Im so sorry if i made you think twice,that was not my intention at all. I have been reading so many people's experiences, but felt like things were smoothed over maybe, i want to know the good and bad,i want to know what i can expect or not expect, i want to know it all!! Again im very sorry to upset you

Oh no, please dont say that i guess im being a little too honest or revealing,guess i was trying to tell my experience without hiding or smoothing things over,i am very glad i did this,and im very excited!! If i can even get 50% understanding back it is all sooo worth anything that i go through. Im so sorry if i made you think twice,that was not my intention at all. I have been reading so many people's experiences, but felt like things were smoothed over maybe, i want to know the good and bad,i want to know what i can expect or not expect, i want to know it all!! Again im very sorry to upset you
It was so nice of you to reply this way, but I can assure you I was not upset (except through getting sympathy pangs lol). I have friends with CI's, and I would say roughly a third of them were dissatisfied with it. Heck, I have a friend with Usher's Syndrome and he had no sense of balance at all (in my viewpoint) and he ignored my warnings and got CI's anyway. Needless to say, he has since had them removed (yep, TWO of them). It sounds like you are the ideal candidate for a CI, though, and I look forward to hearing more of your adventures. :)

Last edited:
It was so nice of you to reply this way, but I can assure you I was not upset (except through getting sympathy pangs lol). I have friends with CI's, and I would say roughly a third of them were dissatisfied with it. Heck, I have a friend with Usher's Syndrome and he had no sense of balance at all (in my viewpoint) and he ignored my warnings and got CI's anyway. Needless to say, he has since had them removed (yep, TWO of them). It sounds like you are the ideal candidate for a CI, though, and I look forward to hearing more of your adventures. :)
Ok, im glad,i would hate to think that something i said would have turned you away from ci, yes thats why i have done so much research,read so many testimonials, spoke with people to make this decision! Its sad that it did not work out for those people,but at least they tried,right?!!

Ok, im glad,i would hate to think that something i said would have turned you away from ci, yes thats why i have done so much research,read so many testimonials, spoke with people to make this decision! Its sad that it did not work out for those people,but at least they tried,right?!!
Yep, they did. Don't you dare call yourself a wimp. :)
My family members do not understand why I resist it. Gosh, it is so hard to put into words, you know? The only way I can explain it is to recall Helen Keller's feelings that in her next life she would be able to hear. Somehow that is comforting.

Yep, they did. Don't you dare call yourself a wimp. :)
My family members do not understand why I resist it. Gosh, it is so hard to put into words, you know? The only way I can explain it is to recall Helen Keller's feelings that in her next life she would be able to hear. Somehow that is comforting.
Well i feel that it is each persons individual choice, its not something that has to be done,if its not for you then thats your choice,nobody elses!! Your family just needs to respect your choice and let it go,who knows one day you may change your mind or you may never change it,and thats ok,kniw what i mean?!!:D

Put a cotton ball coated with Vaseline in your ear and wash the area gently as you try to keep water out of the ear (which the cotton ball will help with).

Put a cotton ball coated with Vaseline in your ear and wash the area gently as you try to keep water out of the ear (which the cotton ball will help with).
Ohh ok,will try that,been working up the nerve to wash my hair tonight,i think it could use it! !

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Although I don't have plans to have surgery myself, I do like reading about other's real experiences - the good and the bad.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Although I don't have plans to have surgery myself, I do like reading about other's real experiences - the good and the bad.
Well thank you!! Hey,you never know,one day you could change your mind!!

Back