Musically Inclined

tattybogles

Reaction score
My name is Stephanie and I'm 32. I sail, read, write, do photography, and am fighting with my cat who insists on sitting on top of me while I type. Hope all's well with you.

I am a hearing student of ASL 1 at the Community College of Rhode Island in Newport and am loving the class. I have been doing research for a paper and my chosen topic is Music and Dance in the Deaf Culture. I have been fortunate enough to get responses from Sean Forbes and his D-PAN associate Adrean. I am waiting to hear from dancers at the Gallaudet Dance Company. If you are interested in discussing this with me, cool. If not, I am sorry to have offended.

Hello welcome to AD :)
nice to meet to you!
Friendly

I recently lost the majority of my hearing due to autoimmune inner ear disease and am still an avid musican. :) I'm glad to know that someone out there cares that we deaf/HOH people can still love and live with music. I may not be famous, but I'll be happy to help you however I can.

I recently lost the majority of my hearing due to autoimmune inner ear disease and am still an avid musican. :) I'm glad to know that someone out there cares that we deaf/HOH people can still love and live with music. I may not be famous, but I'll be happy to help you however I can.

Thats very cool man. Although I am hearing I play piano and drums.
What instrument do you play?

I used to play lots of instruments, but mostly I focus on playing acoustic guitar and singing now :) I use a guitar tuner hooked to a mic to make sure I start on the right note with my voice.

Thanks for responding! I am really excited about thinking about the world from different perspectives. In my research, I came across the documentary "Touch the Sound". In it Evalyn Glennie describes her interpretation of sound as vibrations that she can differentiate by how and where she feels the vibrations. It seems that although she is deaf, she can hear. She attributes that to her "sixth sense". I wonder if you have any thoughts? Also, from the people I've spoken to, all of the Deaf musicians (and the one Deaf dancer) were raised in hearing families. I wonder if there are any Deaf musicians from Deaf families who can offer their story on how they became interested in music...?

Check out Signmark on YouTube: Deaf hip hop artist from Finland. He's awesome. Good songs are "Against the Wall," "Smells like Victory," and "Speakerbox."

Welcome to AD!

there are many deaf who appreciate music it all it's forms. if you read enough of the threads here you will see that.
so welcome and participate

Thanks, DDU and TheWriteAlex.

I watched the Signmark videos -- excellent. Love 'em.

Sure, DDU, I realize that. I am unfamiliar with this format of site so, navigating around all the old threads is a little slower for me than I'd like to admit. Nevertheless, I am glad to be part of it and I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

Back