Music: And you.

Xero

Reaction score
This thread has been made out of sheer curiosity, and probably my ignorance of deaf culture or whatever you want to call it. Hopefully, none shall take offense from this thread -- as that was not its intention.

I just have to ask. I mean, I grew up in the "hearing world" as you all call it. Grew up in a public school, and being the only person in my town who had a hearing loss, as far as I was concerned, I was the only "deaf" person in the state (not literally of course!)

I grew up with a love of music. I can listen, appreciate, and respect any type of music, with a few exceptions (Country music, for example, I have never been able to enjoy). Rarely, will anyone find me WITHOUT my music. Be it my discman, or my radio in my car cranked up, or me listening to MTV, chilling in my room -- but not without my CD player of course, or even me just strumming away on my Bass Guitar.

However, when I transfered to ISD (Indiana) in 8th grade, I was expecting utter quiet from everyone, being as (as far as I knew) no one could hear, and there would be no point of them making an noise, or listening to any music whatsoever. More or less, I was correct, with a few exceptions. There were a few kids who, constantly, like myself, never turned their music off. Hell, I even saw a few discman's/walkman's around! I was shocked, and tried to get closer to these few people. I quickly learned that most of these (no offense to anyone) were fucking retarded. I mean that literally, these were the "special" students, and I quickly stopped getting to know these people, not because they were "special" but just because they were dull, boring, and whatever.

I dunno. It's just that all through high school, it seemd to me that anyone I met at ISD who actually listened to (whether they enjoyed it or not) music of any sort, seemd to be a little. . . well, stupid.

It annoyed the hell out of me. Sure, I found other friends with other interests, but my biggest intrest, music, seemed to be shunned by anyone half-way interesting there.

I was honestly, furious. I couldn't see how these people, some of which who could hear better than I, couldn't enjoy music for what it was. And the ones who did listen to music, and actually seemed to enjoy it, were more or less, putting in an old Vanilla Ice CD, and setting it to repeat one song, over, and over, and over all day and night.

I dunno, maybe it was just how I grew up. I mean, where I came from, music was everything. The music you listened to defined whether or not you were "cool". The music you listened to decided whether or not you got beat up. The music you listened to determined who your friends where. And if you didn't listen to music? You simply didn't exist. You were a loner, no one liked you, and such.

I don't even know what my question really is. I guess it all comes down to this --

Why is it that, in the deaf culture, music is not generally appreciated?

I can see how this would not apply to people born 100% deaf, I'm mainly refering to the hard-of-hearing students, like myself, who grew up surrounded by deaf students, unlike myself.

Or this may just be a dumb question, and a useless thread, full of nothing but my unorganized rants and raves.

uhmm Xero -- u do have a valid question i have NEVER thought of before -- i myself am pre-linguistically deaf aka born deaf and as i grew up i did appreciate some music cuz i ALSO had some hearie friends but as i got older i just simply abandoned the interest in music favoring the silence -- i have a friend (shes also an ADer and knowing her she prolly will post in here) has a love for country music and THAT puts me to sleep :zzz:

when i was younger the 80s era was my type of music -- always went for heavy metal/headbanger type music -- was into Skid Row, Metallica, Motley Crue, and etc -- at 1 point i did like Bruce Springsteen :shock:

but with music now a days :barf: they have NO meaning whatsoever IMO -- maybe i will post the lyrics to a Skid Row song i most identified with when i was younger (thats only if ppl asks me to post i will do so LOL)

Originally posted by Fly Free
uhmm Xero -- u do have a valid question i have NEVER thought of before -- i myself am pre-linguistically deaf aka born deaf and as i grew up i did appreciate some music cuz i ALSO had some hearie friends but as i got older i just simply abandoned the interest in music favoring the silence -- i have a friend (shes also an ADer and knowing her she prolly will post in here) has a love for country music and THAT puts me to sleep :zzz:

when i was younger the 80s era was my type of music -- always went for heavy metal/headbanger type music -- was into Skid Row, Metallica, Motley Crue, and etc -- at 1 point i did like Bruce Springsteen :shock:

but with music now a days :barf: they have NO meaning whatsoever IMO -- maybe i will post the lyrics to a Skid Row song i most identified with when i was younger (thats only if ppl asks me to post i will do so LOL)

AND im that FRIEND LOLOL! THANKS FLY for falling asleep on my country but hear this.,.. i have listened to other music and have had a hard time understanding them whlist when i listen to country i catch on the words and know what they means and how to identify them. BUT some musics in the lyrical world from my perspective cuzzes to a point where its not into a movivational needs. but there is a song i LOVE and it's from the late 80s early 90s Forever young by rod stewart, thats movivational to me.... WHILIST they bitch abt voilence and etc.

I too am also deaf and have no intrest anymore in my radio And some of the musics i have are in CDs and tend ot not listen to them til bed time or just plain bored.,i have my internet thats all i need :)

Of course, I only have valid questions :-p I just wish I would have taken the time to organize my thoughts before just slapping them down, after reading my original post, it's well. . . trash.

Anyway, all I have to say to you is -- kudos. I really have yet to meet a deaf person that listens to anything outside of rap, hence my Vanilla Ice remark.

Heh, what song are you refering to with Skid Row? I used to listen to them a bit back in the day, so I probably already know the lyrics. Ahh, the good 'ol rock and roll days. Poison, Def Leopard, Black Sabbath, Metallica. . . those were the days.

AHHHHHH Black Sabbath!!!! yes yes i remmy that!!!!!

in ref to Skid Row i most identified with was "Youth Gone Wild"

its been so many years! :( miss my wild teenage days :-x hahaha

yep yep -- im classified as a Gen Xer -- the 80s rocked!!!! :thumb:

at times i DO get some music running in my head i remmy from my old days as a teen and being basically a rebel LOL -- not listening to authority and BS like that ahhhh those days *remincing* hehe

Haha, kinda sounds like me. Only I'm a "loveable" rebel. Most people don't know I do what I do until they see me do it :)

Which probably explains why everyones parents love me, and the police get along with me fine :)

kewl Xero :thumb:

i was the kid parents liked too when im "well behaved" around them *smirk* but otherwise took to the streets with pals and partied non stop 24/7 and back in my time it was SO easy to evade the cops :laugh2:

*perks* I've stumbled upon MANY deaf people who appreciate music, but I didnt grow up being the only deaf person in town - my parents are deaf. But I suppose I had the same experience when I went to MSAD (Minnesota) I was afraid I'd be shunned by people who were all about "D"eaf power, and stuff - needless to say, I was. But then they (those !!!!! people) finally accepted me cause I really am deaf despite the fact I can (because i am very very post-lingually deaf) talk and listen to music (which has to be on like an 5-8 out of 10 on my discman depending on the song). I love all sorts of music too :) Country, R&B, Pop/rock, some alternative, some indie, some techno. Rap can go to hell =D

Vanilla Ice rocked :D Its a sad sad shame that he got in a lot of trouble :)

If you graduated in 2002, dont be saying "back in the day" you're not allowed :P

I was born deaf also...

I don't have any interest in music because it always bores me, and i don't understand what they are singing about...(the voice is always soft, but the beats and virbrations are always louder)

I'm bored in music, and I've been never it seem the sing and music. :zzz:

i wasnt born deaf and didnt loose my hearing til i was 21 so music was a big part of my life, i was the typical teenager and listened to alot of music (hell more than alot) in my last car (the car i had when i could still hear) i had a pioneer cd player with a 12 disc changer in the trunk

now that i am fully deaf i of course cant listen to music but its still with me, i have a great memory and listen to songs inmy head pretty much thruought the day, sometimes to the point thats its gunna drive me crazy when i have some song stuck in my head

i mean i am deaf but i never experiecne silence, theres always this light buzz in my head and my thoughts, i mean its LOUD in there

need to tell myself to shut the hell up sometimes so i can get some sleep ;p

Hmm, this is very interesting...

I'm like Xero in that I also grew up in the "hearing world." Thing is, I never even left it so deciding whether to listen or not listen to music has never been an issue. It's all about, "what's your favorite band? singer? genre?" etc.

Btw, do some deaf people really get offended when you say you enjoy music? :shock:

Originally posted by Ice
i mean i am deaf but i never experiecne silence, theres always this light buzz in my head and my thoughts, i mean its LOUD in there

need to tell myself to shut the hell up sometimes so i can get some sleep ;p

Heehee. Ditto. I was afraid I might have tinnitus(sp?).

Right now, I'm hearing Gregorian monks' rendition of "Tears in Heaven" at the back of my head. This is not fun to "mentally" listen to at 2:00 in the morning! :crazy:

Originally posted by sputnik
Hmm, this is very interesting...

I'm like Xero in that I also grew up in the "hearing world." Thing is, I never even left it so deciding whether to listen or not listen to music has never been an issue. It's all about, "what's your favorite band? singer? genre?" etc.

Btw, do some deaf people really get offended when you say you enjoy music? :shock:

Not quite. It's not necessarly when I say I enjoy listening to music, but its more of the fact (I think anyway) that many (not all) of them, cannot enjoy and appreciate it in the way I can. I mean, it'll be like, a friends in my dorm room, we'll be chilling, playing a video game, talking or just whatever, and I'll be like "hold up" and just go pop in a CD or something. I dunno. I'm just guessing that they get annoyed/offended that I'm making THEM wait, while I'm doing something for myself, that I can enjoy when they can't.

I was born and raised to crank the dial up to 10!! To this day, my parents still stamp the floor at me to lower the music.. I shake my head at them because I just love listening to the music and feeling the vibrations. I listen to quite a lot of technotronic music because you can feel the pulsating beat. When I go to the dance clubs.. my friends can find me dancing right by the huge woofers. You can literally feel the music pounding on your body. :D

I feel the same way when I got here. My friends wasnt exactly into music like I was. I'm a big ass fan of music but talking about it is out of the question. All I get is " Who is that?". The artists been around for awhile on tv, radio, and papers which would be magas, newspapers, and flyers. These people act like they dont have any connection with any type of media...It is boring when you cannot talk about movies in the theater or concerts coming up....I started to get used to it now and seeking friends elsewhere when it come to music cuz music is my life!

and listen to songs inmy head pretty much thruought the day,
Maybe your hearing aids pick up radio stations or something. I actually have a friend(severe-profound loss) whose hearing aids do just that! :)
Me I consider myself VERY culturally Deaf and I LOVE music....folk, Indigo Girls Broadway musicals , and classical music. I know over at Deaf Notes Sue was saying that she's noticed a lot of her well-educated Deaf friends (as well as herself) LOVE music.

Thank for reminding me to check the upcoming concerts in Utah!!! :lol: I have gone to concerts by No Doubt, Green Day, Blink 182, and Jimmy Eats World. Of course, pure ASL interpreter is available, too! If you ever decide to visit Utah while there is a concert, let me know and I'll hook you up with a great interpreter and meet you there!! ;)

I was born deaf and grew up mainstreamed. My brothers and sisters were always listening to music, but what got me hooked was from watching good old MTV. *sighs* MTV is not what it used to be. :\ I love a variety mix of singers and bands. I also love Cold Play, Everclear, Aerosmith, most of Mariah Carey's old songs before she ruined her talent with duets or features, Madonna, Cardigans, Dixie Chicks and more..

: plays that old Vanilla Ice "Ninja Rap" song full-blast on Xero's stereo system all day long just to annoy him:

No, I am just kidding! :rofl:

---------
<edit> The concert schedules are listed HERE. SLC just built a new outdoor amphitheater! Now, I wonder where they will put the interpreters and Deaf concert fans!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back