Mum pleads for baby's return

CatoCooper13

Reaction score
15:47 AEST Sun Aug 8 2004

The overwrought mother of three-week-old girl snatched from a Melbourne shopping centre carpark has implored the kidnappers to return her daughter.

Anita Ciancio, 27, was assaulted and sprayed with capsicum spray by a man and woman just after strapping baby Montana into her car seat about 5.30pm (AEST) Saturday.

The man and woman grabbed the baby and took off in a dark-coloured sedan from the Brimbank Central Shopping Centre in Deer Park.

The sobbing mother, who needed to be carried from the press conference after almost collapsing, appealed for compassion from the kidnappers.

"Please look after her, she's only three weeks old and she's just a precious baby," Ms Ciancio said.

"She just needs to be looked after and kept warm and safe, and please, please just take her somewhere safe and call the police."

advertisement
Ms Ciancio, who was treated for a fractured jaw after being struck by the man, said she had noticed a couple following her in the supermarket.

"I can't make sense of anything - she's just a beautiful little baby and maybe someone wanted her."

Ms Ciancio had been breastfeeding Montana and was concerned she had not been fed since she was taken early Saturday evening.

"She hasn't had a bottle before, she hardly takes a dummy and she was having moments where she was quite unsettled through the night(s)," she said.

"Just bring my baby back."

Inspector Tony Cecchin said police were trying to establish a motive for the kidnapping, although he ruled out a link between the abduction and Melbourne's bloody gangland war.

The baby's father Joe Barbaro is the cousin of gangland figure Pasquale Barbaro, gunned down along with Jason Moran in the carpark of the Cross Keys Hotel, in Essendon North, last year.

"There's absolutely no link or relevance to the recent spate of underworld murders," Insp Cecchin told reporters.

He said the kidnappers had made no contact with police or the family.

©AAP 2004

Oh, Poor mother.. I hope the kidnappers return the baby back. Tiny newborn baby!! Stupid kidnappers!

Lianca said:
Oh, Poor mother.. I hope the kidnappers return the baby back. Tiny newborn baby!! Stupid kidnappers!

Yeah...it was heartbreaking to see the news and seeing the mother very distraught and crying -- pleading for the kidnappers to please return her baby unharmed. Police still don't know why nor the motive for the kidnapping of baby Montana.

i hate to see that the crazy people who steal babies and children alike that... ofc i dont blame on mother for cry and upset abt the babies... sigh... i hope that the cops find this stupid people who steal this baby!!!

Just few minutes ago on the newspaper online. They said they think they have found baby Montana on the side of a road. The baby is now in hospital. But it has ye to be verified that it's the abducted baby in question, though. Fingers crossed it is her.

Miss-Delectable said:
Just few minutes ago on the newspaper online. They said they think they have found baby Montana on the side of a road. The baby is now in hospital. But it has ye to be verified that it's the abducted baby in question, though. Fingers crossed it is her.

I sure hope it's Montana and she'll be OK -- :fingersx: Would be wonderful and happy to have a happy reunion with mother and baby.

Baby found on side of the road

It is her...she's safe! :)

10:01 AEST Mon Aug 9 2004

Baby Montana Barbaro's head was shaved by her kidnappers, but she is otherwise safe and well, her relieved grandfather said today.

Nick Ciancio, speaking outside the Royal Children's Hospital where his granddaughter was being examined after she was found in Erskine Street, North Melbourne, earlier today, said he was shocked the three-week-old baby's thick, black hair head had been shaved off.

"She's good, they've given her a shave on the head so that tells you the sort of person it is," he said of the kidnappers.

"Whether (it was done) to disguise her or whether to care for her we don't know, but she is well."

Mr Ciancio said Montana's mother Anita was relieved.

"She is shaken up, she's still in disbelief," he said.

Mr Ciancio said Anita was shaking like a leaf when she saw baby Montana for the first time.

"It's almost like a dream come true, you've got to wake up and find that it's really true," he said.

"Everything has come back, there's nothing that can describe it."

Mr Ciancio had a blunt warning for the kidnappers: "Justice will prevail."

"Obviously they need medical attention. What can I say? The quicker they get it, the better it is for them, I think."

Mr Ciancio thanked police and the media for their work on the case saying they were responsible for Montana's return.

©AAP 2004

Two arrested over Melbourne baby

17:50 AEST Mon Aug 9 2004

Two people were in custody over the kidnapping of baby Montana Barbaro from a suburban Melbourne shopping centre on Saturday, police said.

Inspector Tony Cecchin of the Victoria Police crime department said two people had surrendered themselves to Ballarat Police a short time ago.

Three-week-old Montana was snatched from her car seat after mother Anita Ciancio, 27, was hit with pepper spray and punched in the jaw by two assailants at the Brimbank Central Shopping Centre in west suburban Deer Park about 5.30pm (AEST) Saturday.

She was found with her head shaved, but otherwise safe and well, inside a derelict house in North Melbourne about 9am (AEST) today.

The pair were helping police with their inquiries and were expected to be taken to Melbourne's St Kilda Road police complex in the next two hours.

Montana Barbaro's mother says she always knew her three-week-old daughter would be found safe and well.
Speaking outside the hospital, Ms Ciancio said she's enormously relieved to have Montana back, and says she had faith her daughter would be found.

Ms Ciancio says apart from the kidnappers shaving Montana's hair, her daughter is just perfect.

©AAP 2004

In the earlier post about the baby being found on the side of the road -- that was a mistake reporters made -- baby Montana was actually found inside an abandoned house and people who were walking past the house, heard the baby crying, thus notifying the cops to it.
So am glad that baby Montana's safe and sound with her mother and family. :)

Wow that's great!!! I'm so glad to hear the baby is safe, and of course her hair will grow back ;)

*goosebumps*...
Glady hear them have happily reunion her baby return home safe..

Disapproval w/strangers who had done kidnappers.. Should have put them jail..

Todays paper revealed that the kidnapped baby's father has led a double life and his first family in Canberra ACT is horrified to know his true colors, thanks to the media!

He has been to court and is not allowed to leave Victoria until his case is over so he has not seen his other family since March. Now they don't want to see him ever again!!!

His two children in Canberra are 6 and 3 and his two in Victoria are 18 months and 3 weeks.

I missed the whole subject as I was oversea at that time but managed to catch up the latest news as it is hot converstion in Australia at the moment!

Red~Rum said:
Todays paper revealed that the kidnapped baby's father has led a double life and his first family in Canberra ACT is horrified to know his true colors, thanks to the media!

He has been to court and is not allowed to leave Victoria until his case is over so he has not seen his other family since March. Now they don't want to see him ever again!!!

His two children in Canberra are 6 and 3 and his two in Victoria are 18 months and 3 weeks.

I missed the whole subject as I was oversea at that time but managed to catch up the latest news as it is hot converstion in Australia at the moment!

Yup...that's correct.
Terrible, hey?

Double life shocks Montana's family
11:54 AEST Thu Aug 12 2004
The grandfather of baby Montana said he was shocked to discover his daughter's partner had reportedly been leading a double life with another family interstate.
The Herald Sun newspaper reported that Joe Barbaro's Canberra family did not know of his double life until a national plea for his baby daughter Montana's return last weekend after she was kidnapped from a Melbourne shopping centre.
Nick Ciancio told AAP he had not yet spoken to his daughter Anita Ciancio about the claims that her partner and Montana's father also has another family living in Canberra.
"I am in total shock," an emotional Mr Ciancio said.
"I am currently reading the newspaper but this is the first time I have heard about this."
When asked if he had spoken to his daughter about the claims, Mr Ciancio replied: "no".
He refused to make any further comment until he had spoken with his family.
According to the newspaper Giuseppe Dom Barbaro, 48 - also known as Joe Barbaro - will also face serious drugs charges later this year.
His shocked Canberra fiancee Tanya Flynn said Mr Barbaro had moved her and their two children, Letesha, six, and Jay, three, interstate three years ago.
She said they knew nothing of him also having two children with Anita Ciancio - Montana, four weeks, and Sienna, 19 months, the newspaper reported.
Ms Flynn reportedly said she was devastated when she found out.
"He has been telling us that we are his only family - he was going to be coming to live with us," she told the newspaper.
"It's been absolutely traumatic to find this out, especially like this."
A married couple have been charged with kidnapping Montana after it was alleged they snatched the baby from her mother, Ms Ciancio, at the Brimbank Central Shopping Centre in western suburban Deer Park on Saturday.
Montana was found alone but unharmed in a derelict house in North Melbourne on Monday.

©AAP 2004

Thank god the baby is safe!! I wouldn't know what to do if a stranger snatched any of my children.

On Today Tonight news -- they had interviewed the other lady who lives in Canberra with her 2 children about her future husband to be...and how she found out he was living 2 different lives -- one with her and one with Anita and baby Montana and their 16 months old child (other one) as well. She's cancelled the wedding and is going to move on with life.

Back