Much needed help and guidance

Much of your uncle's story reminds me of my own. I'm sorry to hear of his tragedy. How has he come along in life? I take it he's adjusted somehow. How much of his arms were lost?
He didnt lose his arms, but the wheels cut, or should I say mushed chunks of muscles and tissue away, so he had like indentations all over him ( reason for the long sleeved shirts. His legs were amputated about mid thigh, docs were able to save the legs, sawing off the crushed bone edges and using surgical pins to re attach them for proper length. But he had to use leg braces his entire life to walk, a stiff walk as he really had no control of them other than the braces supporting him to stand. He passed away a few years back at 92 years old, He still got around, slowly, but at that age and all he much rather stay home all the time which he didnt come to more and more family functions as he aged. I used to go fish at their farm, play with the bulls and other animals. My aunt is still kicking, due to age she sold the farm and all the other properties they had ( Bars, rentals ) and living a simple life. But My uncle was a tough man and I admired him for his strengths. Here is a couple more stories on my uncle, He slid off the road going home in a snow storm off a cliff, wasnt found for 3 days, loss a lot of blood but survived that ordeal ( lots more to this story but keeping it short ) and the bar they owned, he was working late to clean up and stock it, told my aunt to go on home and he would finish ( think she was tired or had shopping to do that day ) anyways, he was carrying cases of beer ( bottles) down to the basement when he fell, cut several arteries and basically bled to death... My aunt got concerned when he didnt come home and called the police thinking a possible robbery, well they found him in a pool of blood, no pulse, nothing, paramedics worked him, pumping him full of fluids and revived him, still losing him and bringing him back several times, he survived... He was the man who wouldnt die. There were several news articles on him ( both, from all the accidents and interviews ) I have a couple that were saved by family, but very interesting to read.
There are lots of people who have been injured and still press forward, My uncle still worked until he retired, never gave up.

Sono- you sure there isn't any Scot blood in your family (aka Uncle)? One stubborn man, as you said- kept moving forward no matter what.

Very fascinating stories and man to say the least.

When my son-in-law lost his lower right leg in an industrial accident, my daughter (his wife) said it's a body part, not a person. She was just thankful that he was alive. If anything, their relationship has thrived since the accident.

Yes, I was hit by a locomotive train. It didn't have a "cattle-guard" on front so when it hit me, there was nothing to deflect me. I was sleeping on the tracks when it hit me (I'm not proud of it). When it hit me my arms were arm level with the linkage which my arm got stuck in. Then the train just tugged me along until my arm broke off. Sorry to sound so gruesome.
Glad you survived. In our area there are frequent accidents, usually fatal, from people sleeping on train tracks.

Sono- you sure there isn't any Scot blood in your family (aka Uncle)? One stubborn man, as you said- kept moving forward no matter what.

Very fascinating stories and man to say the least.
Im not sure what was in his bloodline, But my side of the family is German, Cherokee, Italian and Irish. I will find out about his bloodline, whatever he had, he was tough as nails.
I swear they modeled this warrior off my uncle, looked just like him.

Attachments

• TS.jpg
    TS.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 11
He didnt lose his arms, but the wheels cut, or should I say mushed chunks of muscles and tissue away, so he had like indentations all over him ( reason for the long sleeved shirts. His legs were amputated about mid thigh, docs were able to save the legs, sawing off the crushed bone edges and using surgical pins to re attach them for proper length. But he had to use leg braces his entire life to walk, a stiff walk as he really had no control of them other than the braces supporting him to stand. He passed away a few years back at 92 years old, He still got around, slowly, but at that age and all he much rather stay home all the time which he didnt come to more and more family functions as he aged. I used to go fish at their farm, play with the bulls and other animals. My aunt is still kicking, due to age she sold the farm and all the other properties they had ( Bars, rentals ) and living a simple life. But My uncle was a tough man and I admired him for his strengths. Here is a couple more stories on my uncle, He slid off the road going home in a snow storm off a cliff, wasnt found for 3 days, loss a lot of blood but survived that ordeal ( lots more to this story but keeping it short ) and the bar they owned, he was working late to clean up and stock it, told my aunt to go on home and he would finish ( think she was tired or had shopping to do that day ) anyways, he was carrying cases of beer ( bottles) down to the basement when he fell, cut several arteries and basically bled to death... My aunt got concerned when he didnt come home and called the police thinking a possible robbery, well they found him in a pool of blood, no pulse, nothing, paramedics worked him, pumping him full of fluids and revived him, still losing him and bringing him back several times, he survived... He was the man who wouldnt die. There were several news articles on him ( both, from all the accidents and interviews ) I have a couple that were saved by family, but very interesting to read.
There are lots of people who have been injured and still press forward, My uncle still worked until he retired, never gave up.

I had a neighbor who was an engineer and was the top one in his company . He was working on a machine and had turned off all the juices before he started to fix it, some fool didn't bother to see if anyone was inside the machine before putting the power back ! My neighbor got enough power to had killed 3 men , his foot was burnt off. The doctors said he should had be dead right on the spot. He had no toes one on foot , and got enough of an electrical shock to kill 3 men. Some people seem to be lucky and have nine lives.

For people who've grown up hearing, it's the receptive part of learning ASL that's more difficult to obtain fluency in. Having one arm won't change that.

You're still young, so you should do quite well if you can get into a good ASL class. "Good" means an instructor who is Deaf and uses an interactive voice-off curriculum with lots of signing activity. The more time and effort you put into the class, the better. If you can find a deaf social group, even better.

Important--when you take ASL, don't compare it to English--just go with the flow.

I had a neighbor who was an engineer and was the top one in his company . He was working on a machine and had turned off all the juices before he started to fix it, some fool didn't bother to see if anyone was inside the machine before putting the power back ! . . .
Uh, oh. Number One safety rule when working on electrical or mechanical equipment is to tag the controls so that doesn't happen.

Uh, oh. Number One safety rule when working on electrical or mechanical equipment is to tag the controls so that doesn't happen.

The guy that put the power back was working with my neighbor and for some insane reason turned it back on . My neighbor had the guy there to made sure no one turned the power back on and the fool turned it back on. Sadly my neighbor trusted the guy too much to watch his back . This was years ago .

Im not sure what was in his bloodline, But my side of the family is German, Cherokee, Italian and Irish. I will find out about his bloodline, whatever he had, he was tough as nails.
I swear they modeled this warrior off my uncle, looked just like him.
Ahh German- they're stubborn as hell too sometimes. There's German blood down from my maternal grandfather's side of the family. Irish (and Scot, Welsh) mainly on my father's side. One of my cousins has been doing genealogy on his family- most fascinating on his mother's side(dad's sister) lol.

Wondered about Scot because both grandmothers were born in Scotland- strong Scottish roots...and both were stubborn; also had a distant relative (I've forgotten exactly how she was related to my grandmother...) who when she visited here in America was interesting to watch walk...with purpose and if it's even possible a purposely stubborn walk lol.

I had an uncle that sent his 4 finger down a cliff side on a log, the attached them again but he got drunk and believed they would fall off so he tore them off again. So he only had a thumb. Alcohol makes people do weird things.
I normally sign with one hand so it is not very hard at all. Also marrying someone with 1 hand, or is deaf is not a huge problem if you find the right girl. :) best of luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

I had an uncle that sent his 4 finger down a cliff side on a log, the attached them again but he got drunk and believed they would fall off so he tore them off again. So he only had a thumb. Alcohol makes people do weird things.
I normally sign with one hand so it is not very hard at all. Also marrying someone with 1 hand, or is deaf is not a huge problem if you find the right girl. :) best of luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Thank you for your wishes. I'm searching for that lady. I'm 29 and still haven't found her yet. If I find her now that I'm deaf AND amputee...well hell, that's my main concern. You know how people are these days.

like Zephren said... personality goes a loooong way. Many people will care more about that and how you treat people than how you are physically, there are of course twerps who are shallow enough or maybe afraid to not want to date a disabled person (those you avoid....).

I know of at least one multi disabled individual who has had... quite a few relationships but none lasting...in my own view- I swear part of the reason why is their own personality- not an easy person to deal with at all rather than their disabilities. Don't know if that's true but that's my perception.

You sound like a decent and easy going guy who's certainly dealt with what life threw at him very well and I'm betting you'll find someone. Never too late (hell I'm a lot older than you...still single- would be nice to have someone but have made my peace with being single) :).

SouthPaw, congrats on getting the avatar. :)

Well if you find her, Im sure she will do the Right things for you.

Thank you for your wishes. I'm searching for that lady. I'm 29 and still haven't found her yet. If I find her now that I'm deaf AND amputee...well hell, that's my main concern. You know how people are these days.

Yeah people are more accepting today about dating people with disabilities.
I met a guy that was in a w/c and I really liked him but when he told me his dad was a KKK member I knew it wouldn't work with me being Jewish and having a Black daughter . The guy had MS. but that didn't stop me from liking him. If you keep thinking this way it's going to made it harder find a woman. I likes the guy in the w/c b/c he didn't feel this way about people.

Yeah people are more accepting today about dating people with disabilities.
I met a guy that was in a w/c and I really liked him but when he told me his dad was a KKK member I knew it wouldn't work with me being Jewish and having a Black daughter . The guy had MS. but that didn't stop me from liking him. If you keep thinking this way it's going to made it harder find a woman. I likes the guy in the w/c b/c he didn't feel this way about people.

That's reassuring to hear, because I've been noticing how superficial society is. It's not that I think like that, I'm just new to being deaf so I'm trying to familiarize myself and get expectations. I do stay optimistic about it.

and the truth shall set you free

My daughter and son-in-law have not only accepted his amputation, they've embraced it. They have t-shirts with amputee sayings and cartoons, and they tell amputee jokes. My SIL wears shorts most of the time so his prostheses (which is decorated) shows. They participate in amputee support activities. My SIL counsels new amputees and talks to groups of prosthetic technicians and therapists.

My SIL is proud of his prostheses. He has an articulated computerized below-the-knee unit. He also has a standard one for work, and a running "blade."

Most of men and women in their support group are married. The ones that are single are single for reasons other than their amputations.

With so many war veterans coming home with amputations of all kinds, the public is becoming more comfortable with amputees.

Do you feel comfortable enough to show us a picture of your protheses?

Back