Much needed help and guidance

SouthPaw

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Ryan; and only recently--last week actually--have I been deaf and I now seek necessary assistance. It's a long , convoluted story on how and why I'm now deaf, but I'll give you the outline.
In 2011 I was run-over by a train, ya see...I told you it was complex. I used to climb cellphone towers for work; both physically and psychologically demanding of a job. Well, I had been at a dance-hall/bar with some co-workers of mine, after a long day of work whereafter these coworkers ask me for a place to stay for the night after getting kicked out of their houses by their wives. I did them that favor which ended us all at the bar. For whatever reason, they ditch me at the bar. Me being influenced by the night at the bar and overly confident, I decided to walk that 10 mile walk home (give or take a mile). I made it almost the entire way--9 and a half of those 10--whereupon I sat down on the tracks just to rest my sore feet. The combination of exhaustion from my job plus my lack of sleep, plus the alcohol of the night, plus any other psychological hinderences...I fell asleep sitting on the train tracks.
Sitting on those tracks a train hit me, and when it did my arm got caught and mangled in the train's "bumper", so the train had its brakes on trying to stop, all the time dragging me with it. It didn't know I was attached so my ears were forced to endure every mind wrenching train blow of the horn. Eventually my right arm gave away and broke off leaving me with 4" of bone. I woke up in the hospital minus my arm..
It took me a while to swallow all this. The train horn severely damaged my hearing, making me deaf in right ear with limited hearing in left. My hearing has been compromised since the accident, but last week I listened to ONE HOUR of talk-radio on headphones, and when I woke up in the morning, things didn't sound right. It turns out that I am now virtually deaf completely. I feel somewhat hopeless right now. Will I be able to learn ASL with only one hand? What can I/should I do in the future for work and past time?
I'm sure you can understand my delemma. Could you spare me any words of advice? Suggestions? Is ASL even an option for me? This is a bit off topic, but I'm 29 years old with no wife or kids. Would it be a waste to invest my hopes into love and kids? Thanks.
P.S. I tried to expand parts and condense parts of my testimony, so it didn't sound completely natural.

Last edited:
Yes you can learn ASL with one hand.

Do you mean I can have full conversations? I'm aware of the alphabet only requiring one hand, but what about words and terms?

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using AllDeaf App mobile app

Is this the same southpaw Im thinking of?

Maybe. Which southpaw are you thinking of? I chose SouthPaw cause the train took my right arm, hence I'm southpaw

Is this the same southpaw Im thinking of?

there is a southpaw80 here too this could be who you're thinking of.

Hi southpaw! There is no reason why you can't get married and have children , you can be fitted with a prosthetic arm and you can hug a child with one arm.

Do you mean I can have full conversations? I'm aware of the alphabet only requiring one hand, but what about words and terms?

Sure you can hold full conversations. One of my college friends has CP- her left side is severely compromised so she has very little use of her left hand/arm. She did well learning ASL (I met her in New Signers Program) and we all understood her with ease. There are probably ways around signing any two handed signs but I would think in general it's not difficult.

No I don't think it's a waste to invest hope into a future relationship and/or kids. You never know what can happen :).

You've certainly had to deal with a LOT in 5 years. I say give it a try with ASL- nothing ventured nothing gained! Houston I think has a lot of deaf folks (well don't quote me on that...I know at least 2 people in/around Houston....)

Sure you can hold full conversations. One of my college friends has CP- her left side is severely compromised so she has very little use of her left hand/arm. She did well learning ASL (I met her in New Signers Program) and we all understood her with ease. There are probably ways around signing any two handed signs but I would think in general it's not difficult.

No I don't think it's a waste to invest hope into a future relationship and/or kids. You never know what can happen :).

You've certainly had to deal with a LOT in 5 years. I say give it a try with ASL- nothing ventured nothing gained! Houston I think has a lot of deaf folks (well don't quote me on that...I know at least 2 people in/around Houston....)

It has been a lot to accept. I was handling it well until I lost ALL hearing last Monday. I was feeling pretty hopeless for the first couple days but I've been through so much that this isn't gonna push me over. It's gonna be one huge adjustment though.

Hi southpaw! There is no reason why you can't get married and have children , you can be fitted with a prosthetic arm and you can hug a child with one arm.

Good to know. I'll see if I can change my profile name to SouthPaw86

:welcome:

It might be a challenge to learn ASL with one arm but it can be done.

I already have a prosthetic arm. The loss of my arm hinders me none. I know it's still possible to love. It's finding a woman in a superficial society that can see past my losses

I already have a prosthetic arm. The loss of my arm hinders me none. I know it's still possible to love. It's finding a woman in a superficial society that can see past my losses

I know a guy that lost a his leg in n Vietnam war and he met a woman and they have a son. There a lot wounded vets that come home with missing limbs and their spouse still stay with them.

Southpaw, did you get hit by a steam train? the new trains dont have guards on them, what did you get hung up on to be dragged?
All Ive seen is get hit like a car, pulled under and chopped up.

Southpaw, did you get hit by a steam train? the new trains dont have guards on them, what did you get hung up on to be dragged?
All Ive seen is get hit like a car, pulled under and chopped up.

Yes, I was hit by a locomotive train. It didn't have a "cattle-guard" on front so when it hit me, there was nothing to deflect me. I was sleeping on the tracks when it hit me (I'm not proud of it). When it hit me my arms were arm level with the linkage which my arm got stuck in. Then the train just tugged me along until my arm broke off. Sorry to sound so gruesome.

My uncle worked the railroad in his late teen to young adulthood. His crew was sitting on the back of a box car having lunch, when an engine was mis-directed onto their track and collided with the box car, knocking everyone off onto the tracks below, my uncle unfortunately wasnt so lucky... He had chunks taken out of various parts of his arms, body and both legs amputated above the knees. Fast acting co workers saved his life using their belts to stop the blood loss. They were able to revive him as he flatlined many times at the hospital. Since a baby Ive known him as a mean looking drill sergent, with leg braces, always wore a long sleeved shirt and collar buttoned up to hide all his scars. As I got older I realized he wasnt mean at all, but always had the deep rough scary voice.
God has really watched over this man, as he has died more times than I can count on my hands and toes and was always brought back to life and I remember some vividly.

My uncle worked the railroad in his late teen to young adulthood. His crew was sitting on the back of a box car having lunch, when an engine was mis-directed onto their track and collided with the box car, knocking everyone off onto the tracks below, my uncle unfortunately wasnt so lucky... He had chunks taken out of various parts of his arms, body and both legs amputated above the knees. Fast acting co workers saved his life using their belts to stop the blood loss. They were able to revive him as he flatlined many times at the hospital. Since a baby Ive known him as a mean looking drill sergent, with leg braces, always wore a long sleeved shirt and collar buttoned up to hide all his scars. As I got older I realized he wasnt mean at all, but always had the deep rough scary voice.
God has really watched over this man, as he has died more times than I can count on my hands and toes and was always brought back to life and I remember some vividly.

Much of your uncle's story reminds me of my own. I'm sorry to hear of his tragedy. How has he come along in life? I take it he's adjusted somehow. How much of his arms were lost?

Wow, you have had some challenges. As far as meeting someone, personality goes a long way. Despite your experience you come across as being very upbeat and positive. This will more likely attract people to you than someone who wallows in self-pity.

As far as signing with one hand goes, yes you should be able to do so and still be understood. Actually, most people sign one handed at times anyway. When your other hand is busy - eating, driving, carrying something, etc - you use just the free hand and you can be understood.

Back