MSNBC: Texas to let teachers bring guns to school

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumbingmi

Reaction score
HOUSTON - A Texas school district will let teachers bring guns to class this fall, the district's superintendent said on Friday, in what experts said appeared to be a first in the United States.

The board of the small rural Harrold Independent School District unanimously approved the plan and parents have not objected, said the district's superintendent, David Thweatt.

School experts backed Thweatt's claim that Harrold, a system of about 110 students 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth, may be the first to let teachers bring guns to the classroom.

Story continues below ↓
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thweatt said it is a matter of safety.

"We have a lock-down situation, we have cameras, but the question we had to answer is, 'What if somebody gets in? What are we going to do?" he said. "It's just common sense."

Board members estimate it would take first responders nearly 30 minutes to get to the rural school in an emergency.

Teachers who wish to bring guns will have to be certified to carry a concealed handgun in Texas and get crisis training and permission from school officials, he said.

Recent school shootings in the United States have prompted some calls for school officials to allow students and teachers to carry legally concealed weapons into classrooms.

The U.S. Congress once barred guns at schools nationwide, but the U.S. Supreme Court struck the law down, although state and local communities could adopt their own laws. Texas bars guns at schools without the school's permission.

School district to let teachers have guns - Education - MSNBC.com

Would deaf teachers need to carry guns? Dont think so.

I believe teachers should carry guns in case because kids these days are crazy mofo.

And the proportion of districts in which there has been a school shooting to those that haven't is astronomical.

Armed teachers is asking for trouble.

And the proportion of districts in which there has been a school shooting to those that haven't is astronomical.

Armed teachers is asking for trouble.

Teachers who wish to bring guns will have to be certified to carry a concealed handgun in Texas and get crisis training and permission from school officials, he said.

Like I said, kids are crazy these days and you dont know if one of them is going to blow up and going on wild murder spreeing. Lest you forget about Columbia and Virgina Tech shooting.

Like I said, kids are crazy these days and you dont know if one of them is going to blow up and going on wild murder spreeing. Lest you forget about Columbia and Virgina Tech shooting.

Did you mean Columbine or Columbia? And that is two examples out of how many schools in the United States?

Did you mean Columbine or Columbia? And that is two examples out of how many schools in the United States?

My bad. It s Columbine School. It is better to be safe than be sorry. Teachers dont have to wave their guns to students but instead having a gun in place to keep themselves safe from crazy students who may be on drugs or have too much time on "Doom" games.

My bad. It s Columbine School. It is better to be safe than be sorry. Teachers dont have to wave their guns to students but instead having a gun in place to keep themselves safe from crazy students who may be on drugs or have too much time on "Doom" games.

Oh, yeah. Armed teachers is the solution.:roll:

I thought tasering was an alternative embraced by even armed police officers. Or would teachers used them a bit too often?

"Now, son, if you don't score one for the team, I'll be forced to defend the school."

If a kid was killed or wounded by a teacher with a gun, it's simple that the parents can sue the school and the town.

If that happens, we will be forced to pay more money on our car insurance. For instance, a lawsuit (priest's abuse/molestation on children in 1970's) won the case a couple of years ago. The insurance company paid to the lawsuit for millions of dollars. We really do not want the teachers to carry their gun at school.

The teachers are responsible not to inflict the kids at school. You know some kids have free mind or rebel themselves for some silly things.

My opinion is that some kids need to see a psychologist to improve their behavior before consultants determine to suspend the kids or not.

If a kid was killed or wounded by a teacher with a gun, it's simple that the parents can sue the school and the town.

If that happens, we will be forced to pay more money on our car insurance. For instance, a lawsuit (priest's abuse/molestation on children in 1970's) won the case a couple of years ago. The insurance company paid to the lawsuit for millions of dollars. We really do not want the teachers to carry their gun at school.

The teachers are responsible not to inflict the kids at school. You know some kids have free mind or rebel themselves for some silly things.

My opinion is that some kids need to see a psychologist to improve their behavior before consultants determine to suspend the kids or not.

LOL Do you not think kids would act up their age if they visit psychologist? The main reason for teachers to have guns is to protect themselves from crazy drugged up students.

:gpost:

Bring a gun on the premise; there will always be a level of access for the students, themselves, to get to it, too.

Oh,yeah! Watch out for that killer weed! Someone has been watching too many repeats of "Reefer Madness"!:giggle:

Isn't it fair to teachers to being at the mercy at students whose are capable to wield weapons ?

Again, how many incidents can you cite per the number of school districts in the U.S.?

Again, how many incidents can you cite per the number of school districts in the U.S.?

Do u not agree with teachers have the right to protect themselves from crazy students? It is better to prevent something than allow it to happen. Remember teachers aren't force to own guns but rather to have choice to have guns.

If I m teacher, I would own guns in order to take control of the situation rather than waiting for cops to come or have someone get killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back