MRI results and need help

Saavik

Reaction score
I'm looking back at my MRI results from several years ago (Never actually got medical care, just the MRI) but I still don't understand what the results mean. It says "Intermediate increased T2 signal within the body and posterior horn of the medial meniscus which does not appear to surface..." I have no idea what that part means, can someone explain?

The only part I can help you with is the signal, it's just the MRI signal used to create the image. I don't know what they mean by does not appear to surface. The way they're using it is a verb not a noun (like when something is submerged in water and comes up out of the water it has surfaced) so maybe it means it hasn't come out if the joint capsule?? Not sure

You weren't given an explanation in person at the time? Your doctor didn't discuss it with you? Without medical training and context it would just be a guess by anyone.

Did you get a cd with the images? You can ask the hospital that did the test for one - maybe it is not too late. An MRI is a really expensive test - the dr. that ordered it should have taken the time to follow up with an explanation.

You can always take the disk to a new dr. for a second opinion. I have had to do that and was happy to find someone who provided a easy to understand explanation rather then medical jargon and took into account symptom history. Much happier with them tracking my care now.

I am not sure why you wanted to know if doctor has not discuss with you. its about back neck (bone spine). But I dont know what it is all about though. My friend who has a R.A. and is in amry. They found out about him that he has r.a. and saw the x ray with him about T. Thats what I remember. Yeah He is waiting for the medical board meeting.

You weren't given an explanation in person at the time? Your doctor didn't discuss it with you? Without medical training and context it would just be a guess by anyone.

I don't think the OP when back a follow up appointment , maybe the OP could see if they get a written report from the DR. that ordered the MRI .There are DR. web sites on line that will answer people questions .

It means there is a little wear and tear cartilage degeneration in the meniscus.

It would have to be 3 before it was considered a problem that they would do anything about.

Well...

In MRI, you have two types of ligament of the atomic orbits, of hydrogen containing material inside of your body....The first aligns the orbits of the atoms, parallel to the magnetic powerful field (2-3- Tesla units) THAT is T1, where you can see water as a dark substance.

Then you have the alignment of the orbits perpendicular to the magnetic field, so that you can detect other type of lesions, because water is seen in a white color. This is your T2.

T2 signals can mean anything... From absolutely squat to multiple sclerosis to bleeding. I sincerely doubt it's any of those since you're saying this was a while back and you aren't complaining about dying or excruciating pain. Being that posterior horn of the medial meniscus is referring to your knee ( assuming you've relayed this correctly ) I think you'll live... which is the good news. The other good news is that this injury is incredibly common and you really don't have anything to worry about most of the time. There's really nothing to be done. 90% of people put under an MRI would have this same result come back. Cartilage breaks down and things don't work as well as they used to, it happens.

Lastly, no doctor, P.A., surgeon or any medical staff can make any sort of diagnosis off of such little information. Being that I can not see the MRI results in front of me or the scans, I am left to tell you that you're not dying and that's about all I can give you. Giving me that much information is like telling a mechanic that you need a bolt remover thingy for the thingy under the hood of your car located next to the other thingy that spins. Seriously, that's what that amount of information tells anyone. You're not dying, that's what I can definitely tell you... congratulations.

Well...

In MRI, you have two types of ligament of the atomic orbits, of hydrogen containing material inside of your body....The first aligns the orbits of the atoms, parallel to the magnetic powerful field (2-3- Tesla units) THAT is T1, where you can see water as a dark substance.

Then you have the alignment of the orbits perpendicular to the magnetic field, so that you can detect other type of lesions, because water is seen in a white color. This is your T2.

T2 signals can mean anything... From absolutely squat to multiple sclerosis to bleeding. I sincerely doubt it's any of those since you're saying this was a while back and you aren't complaining about dying or excruciating pain. Being that posterior horn of the medial meniscus is referring to your knee ( assuming you've relayed this correctly ) I think you'll live... which is the good news. The other good news is that this injury is incredibly common and you really don't have anything to worry about most of the time. There's really nothing to be done. 90% of people put under an MRI would have this same result come back. Cartilage breaks down and things don't work as well as they used to, it happens.

Lastly, no doctor, P.A., surgeon or any medical staff can make any sort of diagnosis off of such little information. Being that I can not see the MRI results in front of me or the scans, I am left to tell you that you're not dying and that's about all I can give you. Giving me that much information is like telling a mechanic that you need a bolt remover thingy for the thingy under the hood of your car located next to the other thingy that spins. Seriously, that's what that amount of information tells anyone. You're not dying, that's what I can definitely tell you... congratulations.

I can PM you with more information, but it is still painful. I can't run anymore without lots of pain, when I carry stuff that has some weight, it hurts my knees, walking hurts if I walk more than moderate distances and squatting really hurts and on my way back up, it makes a very audible noise that others can very easily hear and it feels like it's grinding badly.

Anyway, I'll PM you a little later, when I dig the paper back out. I have no idea what's wrong with my knees, but this injury occurred a few years ago, back when I was 21 and I'm 24 now.

Back