Moving

nikesj

Reaction score
I have a quick question and hopefully anyone of you can help me with this. I am graduating this May from RIT and moving to Chicago next month. Since I am moving to an apartment in Chicago, what are the landlord's responsible for providing deaf access? Is my landlord required to install doorbell flasher and strobe fire alarm?

After doing some research, I have discovered that the landlord is required to provide/install doorbell flasher while the local fire department is required to provide/install strobe fire alarm? Let me know! I appericate your help! :thumb:

Yes, Landlords are responsible for the doorbell, fire alarms and telephone flasher, wheelchair, etc... They should have the ADA requirement if deaf or hoh or other disabilities want to live the landlord's apartment, the landlord should have get them done for you when you are ready to move in to that place.

What happens if the landlord does not believe me? Do you know any website address that shows the ADA requirements? I am calling them this afternoon :)

If your landlords doesn't believe, you should get a paper (a proof) to show that you are deaf, and you need the ADA requirement to have the doorbell flasher, fire alarm flasher, etc.

Let me find and I will post it here in a minutes.

Why don't you call Campus Safety at RIT and ask for someone in charge of fire safety. I met that woman once, (I forgot her name... oops!) and she knows a lot about this stuff. She helped out a few deaf students who were living in WBC. Give her a call and she could probably point you in the right direction. :thumb:

nikesj said:
I have a quick question and hopefully anyone of you can help me with this. I am graduating this May from RIT and moving to Chicago next month. Since I am moving to an apartment in Chicago, what are the landlord's responsible for providing deaf access? Is my landlord required to install doorbell flasher and strobe fire alarm?

After doing some research, I have discovered that the landlord is required to provide/install doorbell flasher while the local fire department is required to provide/install strobe fire alarm? Let me know! I appericate your help! :thumb:

If it is more than 12 units in your apartment. Yes, it is landlord responsiblity to install the door bell and fire alarm light flasher. I went through with MCDHH and DLC with landlord. He did install the system last summer. If your landlord refused then you can contact with your State Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

Good Luck

There are 6 units in that one apartment building while there are about 100 to 150 apartment buildings?? Does that meet the requirements?

nikesj said:
There are 6 units in that one apartment building while there are about 100 to 150 apartment buildings?? Does that meet the requirements?

Are the building apartments owner by same landlord ? If it is.. Absolutely, it is landlord s reponsbility.

well, i got doorbell, tty, clock and etc from VR.. VR gave me everything what i need.. why not try go to VR and tell them that u gradauation and u need them for apt so they will help u.. why not try that???

I am going to contact my VR in Illinois and see what they can do. Thanks for the help. I am also waiting to hear what the apartment is going to do about this situtation. So far, the apartment landlord is contacting the fire department and see if they could supply the strobe fire alarm. I ll let you guys know.

nikesj said:
I am going to contact my VR in Illinois and see what they can do. Thanks for the help. I am also waiting to hear what the apartment is going to do about this situtation. So far, the apartment landlord is contacting the fire department and see if they could supply the strobe fire alarm. I ll let you guys know.
welcome anytime!! pls let me know what VR say... i hope that they help u!!!! smile.. *cross fingers* :wiggle:

nikesj said:
Hmm... that sounds like good progress! :thumb:

Back