Movie: Children of a Lesser God.

pek1

Reaction score
Has anyone seen this movie back when it was released at this time in 1986? If you remember it, what are your thoughts? It is a bi-bi approach to teaching deaf to speak or what is it? In case you're interested, I'm writing an assimilation paper for my Communications Studies class and the rough draft of it is due Nov. 6. I'm working on it tonight and however long it takes me to finish it, as my two partners on it are nowhere to be seen. :(

:ty::ty:

what a pity!
i have never seen this movie

Has anyone seen this movie back when it was released at this time in 1986? If you remember it, what are your thoughts? It is a bi-bi approach to teaching deaf to speak or what is it? In case you're interested, I'm writing an assimilation paper for my Communications Studies class and the rough draft of it is due Nov. 6. I'm working on it tonight and however long it takes me to finish it, as my two partners on it are nowhere to be seen. :(

Yes, I remeber seeing that movie long time ago. It was life time ago. Few of the actors and actoresses I know are from my school from MSSD that must been past 21 years ago. wow.

Ahh I have my own video tape of this Children of a Lesser of God :) it somewhere in my boxes :)

Pek1,

I really liked that movie. I think you can rent it from movie rental place.

I should have been more specific . . . I got a copy of it from the library yesterday and viewed it. I was asking how everyone felt about it and what your reaction was. Sorry for the miscommunication on my part.

I remember that time when my mom watch that movie. She was so emotional about that movie. So I asked her about that movie. She said that she realized that any deaf people can do anything and that touched her that she is very proud of me and my sister. So I rented that movie and watch whole movie. I must say that is very good movie and very awesome movie. I learned that it will make on DVD as soon as possible but I am not sure if that happened today.

I liked the part when James was trying to interpret what music was like to Sarah...was hard to, but sweet of him to try. He tried to understand her deaf world and why she was happy with being deaf. He fell in love with her. They had some disagreements. I liked the part where Sarah played the cards and she won. She just learned how to play the cards by reading the book. She was smart. James didn't understand why Sarah enjoyed the quietness while working as housekeeper. Sarah could have gotten a better job as she's smart, but she didn't feel the motivation to. Sarah's sister wasn't nice to Sarah...she got boys to have sex with her, just cuz Sarah was deaf. Sarah's self esteem went down partly cuz of that experience. So, Sarah's deep resistment and anger came from that. Sarah was telling James about that experience and James felt really bad. He believed that Sarah was worth more.

I have seen that movie as soon as it went on VHS back in the 80ties. I don't remember anything specific, but yeah I liked that movie.
sorry I can't be of more help.

Fuzzy

I should have been more specific . . . I got a copy of it from the library yesterday and viewed it. I was asking how everyone felt about it and what your reaction was. Sorry for the miscommunication on my part.

That okay, we all makes mistake on miscommuications. I don't expect anyone to be pefrect. But speaking of the movie "Children of the lesser GOD" it was pretty good movie. I think took James a long time to realized that Sarah has her own needs to be free a little bit and James also push her to far sometimes. He was expect her to learn to speak, But she can't she would rather for him to accpet her for the way she is not try to changer to force her to speak. I think James got to realized he was wrong to do that. But they did live happy ever after. :)

Yes, I remeber seeing that movie long time ago. It was life time ago. Few of the actors and actoresses I know are from my school from MSSD that must been past 21 years ago. wow.

Yes, the movie came out the year my son was born. It really helped to give me a different perspective on what it was to be a deaf child.

I watched it at school once, for deaf studies. As much as I wish I could remember, I don't really remember this movie. It was about 7 years ago.

I think that this is a movie that should be watched and really looked at in depth by anyone studying Deaf Culture. It is very significant that the movie was adapted from a stage play written by a deaf author, and is based on real life experience. It is a story that is truly told from the deaf perspective. For that reason alone, it has much to communicate to us.

Does anyone know if that was the Bi-Bi approach being used in the movie? I cant remember so I need to watch it again.

I liked the part when James was trying to interpret what music was like to Sarah...was hard to, but sweet of him to try. He tried to understand her deaf world and why she was happy with being deaf. He fell in love with her. They had some disagreements. I liked the part where Sarah played the cards and she won. She just learned how to play the cards by reading the book. She was smart. James didn't understand why Sarah enjoyed the quietness while working as housekeeper. Sarah could have gotten a better job as she's smart, but she didn't feel the motivation to. Sarah's sister wasn't nice to Sarah...she got boys to have sex with her, just cuz Sarah was deaf. Sarah's self esteem went down partly cuz of that experience. So, Sarah's deep resistment and anger came from that. Sarah was telling James about that experience and James felt really bad. He believed that Sarah was worth more.

I forgot about the cards. Peachy Lady, you are right. Sarah was smart. I hated the part about sex with hearing boys. I didn't like James and thought Sarah should get a better guy - hearing, deaf, or HoH! James was arrogant or something.

I forgot about the cards. Peachy Lady, you are right. Sarah was smart. I hated the part about sex with hearing boys. I didn't like James and thought Sarah should get a better guy - hearing, deaf, or HoH! James was arrogant or something.

I saw the play "Children of a lesser God" on stage in Minneapolis, Minnesota. They don't have any props or background props. Just only the actors and actresses playing the roles about Sarah and James. Also I saw the movie "Children of a lesser God" on production with everything background and houses, school, and furniture adding to the play. It is a good movie, but it made me piss me off when James try to push her to speak and she refuse to obey him like as if she is a child and also not have any freedom to do what she want to do with her life. This is her life, not James. He is controlling her life on what he want her to be and that is wrong. I have to agree with you that I don't like James doing that and in the end I don't think it is going to be a happy ending, but that will make people think it is a happy ending. Yeah, Sarah should have a better boyfriend than James whether he is hearing or deaf or hard of hearing, no matter, just someone who love her for who she is. It is sad when teachers or any hearing people especially parents trying to get them to go into speech and lipreading. I like one boy in the classroom where James was teaching. He is very silent and James try to coak him to speak like the rest of the classmates. But he just sit there and just silent looking at James. He never speak or try to talk all through the movie to the end, never. That is good that we don't get force like that. Remember hearing people love to hear the sounds very much just like my husband who love to listen to country music all the time on the radio or on T.V. (CMT). He does not know what is like to be deaf (no sounds or no noise, everything is quiet). That is where James find going under the community swimming pool the silence with no sounds at all. I don't know if he understand, but he just love his music on opera, and symphony and he try to express to her about the music. Sarah does not mind about music because she can not hear it anyway and is use to being quiet in her world. So are we,too. It is really a sad movie for me and I don't like what hearing people do that to us. :pissed:

That okay, we all makes mistake on miscommuications. I don't expect anyone to be pefrect. But speaking of the movie "Children of the lesser GOD" it was pretty good movie. I think took James a long time to realized that Sarah has her own needs to be free a little bit and James also push her to far sometimes. He was expect her to learn to speak, But she can't she would rather for him to accpet her for the way she is not try to changer to force her to speak. I think James got to realized he was wrong to do that. But they did live happy ever after. :)

Yeah, it took James a LONG time to realize that Sarah has her own needs, not just as a woman, which wasn't mentioned in the movie, but as a deaf person. Same is true for all of us deafs. I've been crapped on, taken advantage of because of it (by hearies), but am smarter now and older, so these things won't happen so subtly in the future.

Back