Mouth and Ears

toffeekukki

Reaction score
Taking notice of how I listen/Talk
Lip reading i have to sometimes watch a mouth to guess what is been said. I would say i understand more if i have a mouth to look at but i don't just relay on this. I have also found that i can hear things behind me. So maybe this is why i use a mouth to help.
I also find a have found i slurr my words and speak faster without my aids in.
Also i do sometimes just stop talking halfway though a sentance.
I don't mean to but i forget i am talking or forget what i was saying.
This happens mainly when i don't have my aids in.
My Husband has said that if i am in a loud place and i cant hear it is harder for him to get my attention to focus on the conversation.
I more often go quiet and stop talking in a loud place or i feel like if i can hear myself others can here me. But on the other hand he tells me he can't hear me as i am mumbling.
Also if i enter a place that's quiet from a loud place i sometimes get told i am shouting. Then i get asked "are your hearing aids on" i cant control my volume if i cant hear. I am talking the same volume. I don't know how to adjust myself if i cant hear myself or my environment correctly.
Taking my time to answer a question.
I DO take my time to answer sometimes but i take a bit of time to defunk what you have said into something sensible.
Husband "we going to need to go to shop"
Me "I am already wearing socks"
I do this alot. I miss hear and get it wrong. I also know it is a bad thing to say 'nevermind forget it' but i get annoyed with having to ask someone to repeat themselves.
It can be more hassle for me to remember what i habe said.
I listen for your reply.
I dont get your reply the first time.
I listen again.
They didnt hear me because they wasnt listening or paying propper attention.
I forget what i said orignally.
This last bit happens ALOT with me and my house mate, I sometimes let my anger take over because i have lived with them for 12months and this situation happened a couple of days ago.
What common situations get you annoyed or make you want to just walk away.

I totally can relate to this. I hate it when people say... DO you have your hearing aids on, its like they don't think we know we can't hear without it, or "expect" us to lip read... :pissed:Not everyone's mouths move the same way in a perfect movement when they talk. You know what I mean? THAT IS ANNOYING when they say... Nevermind, or forget it, or I'll tell you later when they don't. That annoys the CRAP of out me!!!!!! But when I say Nevermind, they get mad... Uhhh "exuse moi... it goes both ways. :mad:
I just don't think they understand the frustrations we all go through. :nono: We all try to meet there needs, but what about ours????? when it comes to communications in loud places or when a person is not facing you, we dont do well in those kind of places, unless they know ASL. Ugggggh. Its not just you toffeekukki I am sure alot of HOH peoples go through this. :hug:

Normally it is my husband that asks me 'do you have your ears turned on',
I go 100% deaf if I have them turned off so I would not hear anything.
But to be fair to him. He asked me alot because my old aids just so darn temperamental so it was usually when we was out and he knew if they cut off I had no sound and I would put myself in danger with total loss of sound.
I have not been asked this yet with my new ones but I have only had them just over 24 hours.

Back