Motorcycle sale advice, please

Saavik

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my motorcycle to a ZX6 when I get back to Virginia and I'm selling my EX500 since the riding season should be starting when I get back and people will be looking for a good beginner bike, which the EX500 is well known for, but I digress.

KBB places this ZX6 at $1,145 if it were in good condition. I'm thinking $900 is a fair price since it's going to require carb cleaning, which on that bike is a mighty chore, I'm going to have to replace all the fairings since it doesn't have any. Maybe my price is too low, but his is certainly too high for a bike in that condition.

What do you think would be a fair price for that bike in it's current condition?

1997 kawasaki zx6 $1800 obo fs only.

I don't know anything about motorcycles but I've sold many things on Craigslist and eBay.

You should take pictures in a sunny day. It's too dark to see details. Other than that, it looks good. More pictures, the better.

I don't know anything about motorcycles but I've sold many things on Craigslist and eBay.

You should take pictures in a sunny day. It's too dark to see details. Other than that, it looks good. More pictures, the better.

I'm not the seller, I'm a potential buyer.

If I were you, I would go for GL1500!

I had the intention to start a riding season this year but, nope.. you all know I just had surgery few weeks ago. :( maybe next summer.

Start with highest possible price offer, compare with other local that sells similar as yours, that way buyer can negotiate with you, but if you offer too low, you offered less negotiate power.

Damn, I missed riding, I have not rode since 2010 due to injury.

Whats mine? Its GL1200 still in garage, used to have Suzuki Thumper (1 cyclinder), nighthawk. If I going buy another crusier, I'd like Yamaha V-STAR custom.

If I were you, I would go for GL1500!

I had the intention to start a riding season this year but, nope.. you all know I just had surgery few weeks ago. :( maybe next summer.

Start with highest possible price offer, compare with other local that sells similar as yours, that way buyer can negotiate with you, but if you offer too low, you offered less negotiate power.

Damn, I missed riding, I have not rode since 2010 due to injury.

Whats mine? Its GL1200 still in garage, used to have Suzuki Thumper (1 cyclinder), nighthawk. If I going buy another crusier, I'd like Yamaha V-STAR custom.

I'm not the seller, I'm a potential buyer and I don't want anything other than a ZX600.

I'm looking to upgrade my motorcycle to a ZX6 when I get back to Virginia and I'm selling my EX500 since the riding season should be starting when I get back and people will be looking for a good beginner bike, which the EX500 is well known for, but I digress.

KBB places this ZX6 at $1,145 if it were in good condition. I'm thinking $900 is a fair price since it's going to require carb cleaning, which on that bike is a mighty chore, I'm going to have to replace all the fairings since it doesn't have any. Maybe my price is too low, but his is certainly too high for a bike in that condition.

What do you think would be a fair price for that bike in it's current condition?

1997 kawasaki zx6 $1800 obo fs only.

you sure? I think you should wait until you're financially secured.

I is agree! Insurance won't be cheap!

If you want cheap one, this isn't one. Any 500 cc or smaller street crusiers, that is because insurance assigns crotch rocket as high risk, so cost a lot more.

you sure? I think you should wait until you're financially secured.

I already own a '99 EX500, I can sell it for $2k since it's a highly sought after beginner bike in good running condition and with riding season approaching, I can get that from it.

My EX500 costs $164 for 12 months full coverage from progressive, I'll double check into the ZX6 insurance price in a bit, but if I wasn't so afraid of the ZX6 as a starter bike, I'd have gone for it and be done already, since the ZX6 is the bike I've always wanted (Except the really impossible to buy Brough Superior).

I already own a '99 EX500, I can sell it for $2k since it's a highly sought after beginner bike in good running condition and with riding season approaching, I can get that from it.

My EX500 costs $164 for 12 months full coverage from progressive, I'll double check into the ZX6 insurance price in a bit, but if I wasn't so afraid of the ZX6 as a starter bike, I'd have gone for it and be done already, since the ZX6 is the bike I've always wanted (Except the really impossible to buy Brough Superior).

right. your bike is in a proven working condition therefore your cost is minimal. but by selling it and buying another bike with a questionable condition.... you'll risk running up some unforeseeable cost that could possibly put you in the red.

I strongly recommend that you should keep what you have now. and you should do whatever you like once you're financially secured.

Yeah, you guys are right, but that doesn't negate the fact this royally sucks. If only I could fit the ZX6 engine in the EX500, I could pay the EX500 insurance price and have more or less a ZX6..lol I'll skimp on my auto insurance because I can't afford that, but I don't skimp on my motorcycle coverage.

Yeah, you guys are right, but that doesn't negate the fact this royally sucks. If only I could fit the ZX6 engine in the EX500, I could pay the EX500 insurance price and have more or less a ZX6..lol I'll skimp on my auto insurance because I can't afford that, but I don't skimp on my motorcycle coverage.

true that! I don't ever want to put myself in a shitty situation when it could have been prevented in the first place by paying just a few extra bucks more.

true that! I don't ever want to put myself in a shitty situation when it could have been prevented in the first place by paying just a few extra bucks more.

For 12 months full coverage for a total of $164, it's kinda hard to justify not buying into that and it includes vanishing deductible and towing/ roadside assistance.

My car on the other hand just costs way too much to insure to anywhere near that level until after 26 December of this year, then I turn 25 and hopefully I see an insurance drop and can afford more coverage.

My car pretty much just covers vandalism, theft and liability. If I roll the car or just hit someone else and total my car, I get no money to get a new car, but as long as I have liability and protection against vandalism and theft, that's all I care about for now.

Logically, I should just sell the car and get something else with lower insurance, but having really shopped around and seeing insurance quotes for other, more boring cars, in my age group, it really makes little difference and will change come the end of December when I'm no longer in that age group, especially since I have no accidents or speeding tickets against my record.

Come to think of it, keeping the EX500 for another year makes sense, sucks, but makes better sense since after December of this year, I not only have more years experience in my favour, but also am no longer in the younger age group and should be able to afford the insurance on the ZX6 since it will be a substantially reduced cost.

Back