Morning-after pills made available to N.Y. high school students

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockin'robin

Reaction score
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Hundreds of New York City high schools students have received morning-after pills since the launch of a program that provides emergency contraception through public school nurses, the city's health department said on Monday.

Many schools around the nation have long made condoms available to students, but New York health officials said they believe the city is the first to make hormonal contraceptives available.

The program, launched in 13 high schools last year, gives students access to emergency contraceptive pills, designed to prevent pregnancy following unprotected sex or a contraceptive failure if taken within 72 hours, as well as condoms, birth- control pills and pregnancy testing.

The program is designed to battle the problem of unplanned pregnancies among teens, health officials said.

"In New York City over 7,000 young women become pregnant by age 17, 90 percent of which are unplanned," Alexandra Waldhorn, a health department spokeswoman, said in an e-mail.

"We are committed to trying new approaches, like this pilot program in place since January 2011, to improve a situation that can have lifelong consequences," she said.

Parents were informed of the program from the start and given the choice of opting out of any or all of the services but have largely supported the program, Waldhorn said.

Between 1 and 2 percent of parents sent back an opt-out form, she said.

Although the program has been in place since early last year, it was thrust into the public spotlight over the weekend when it was first reported by the New York Post.

Although the program has been in place since early last year, it was thrust into the public spotlight over the weekend when it was first reported by the New York Post.

The program - known as CATCH for Connecting Adolescents to Comprehensive Healthcare - is an extension of services that already were available to about a quarter of all New York public school students through privately run health clinics.

The 13 public schools were chosen because such facilities were not available nearby.

In the last school year, 567 students received emergency contraception and 580 students received Reclipsen, a birth-control pill, through the program.

Some anti-abortion advocates object to the morning-after drugs, which work by preventing the release of an egg, preventing fertilization or stopping a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus.

The National Association of School Nurses, contacted by the Post, said it too did not know of any similar program in the nation.

Morning-after pills made available to N.Y. high school students - Yahoo! News

In New York they believe adults are not capable of making soda choices, but teenagers are capable of making health care choices.

Home schooling looks better and better each year....

Laura

That's good to hear. :hmm:

I think it's a step forward for unwanted teen pregnency....No matter how much parents have preached abstinence and even "wearing a jacket" (condom)...it's as if we/they are talking to the wind.....

Teens are gonna have sex, regardless, and we cannot be with them 24/7....Took 2 of my boys to the Dentist today and I remembered to ask them about their condoms, and if they needed any more and if they had changed them in their wallet (as they should do so often).....both said No and yes.

Sadly it won't stop the spread of STD's. Keep an eye on your kids and never stop talking to them about the dangers of sex.

.Took 2 of my boys to the Dentist today and I remembered to ask them about their condoms, and if they needed any more and if they had changed them in their wallet (as they should do so often).....both said No and yes.

I agree, we all should wear condoms before going to the dentist. Oh, wait a minute....... Should the dentist be the one wearing condoms, since he is going to screw us out of our wallets anyway?

Sadly it won't stop the spread of STD's. Keep an eye on your kids and never stop talking to them about the dangers of sex.

STD caused by sex irresponsibility - lack of responsible.

STD caused by sex irresponsibility - lack of responsible.

Of course it is...but their hormones are raging...and some won't take the time to protect themselves....same as for adults.

And I do need to ask a question...how does a single Mom know what size to buy?....My asking "are they the correct size?" ....is not only embarrassing to me, it's to them also...so I'm thinking about letting them buy their own.

I agree, we all should wear condoms before going to the dentist. Oh, wait a minute....... Should the dentist be the one wearing condoms, since he is going to screw us out of our wallets anyway?

LOL....it seemed to be a good time to ask, as they had 1/2 day off from school to see the dentist, then out to McD's...so we got a chance to talk a little more...ya know?

Of course it is...but their hormones are raging...and some won't take the time to protect themselves....same as for adults.

And I do need to ask a question...how does a single Mom know what size to buy?....My asking "are they the correct size?" ....is not only embarrassing to me, it's to them also...so I'm thinking about letting them buy their own.

This is funny RR and a question we got in the pharmacy all the time. We almost always had an all female staff and most were young girls. I think letting them buy their own is a good idea at this age. I think if they let us by them the size "might" be larger then actually needed.:laugh2:

This is funny RR and a question we got in the pharmacy all the time. We almost always had an all female staff and most were young girls. I think letting them buy their own is a good idea at this age. I think if they let us by them the size "might" be larger then actually needed.:laugh2:

:laugh2:...yeah...or they might say "extra, extra large"!...

Home schooling looks better and better each year....

Laura

Both of my boys were home schooled! The public schools in most places are failures in this day and age. So now I guess we're telling them it's okay to have premarital sex! We'll give you the condoms, birth control pills and now the morning after pill! What ever happened to teaching abstinence??!! Why am I not surprised?! Where are the parents??!!

Both of my boys were home schooled! The public schools in most places are failures in this day and age. So now I guess we're telling them it's okay to have premarital sex! We'll give you the condoms, birth control pills and now the morning after pill! What ever happened to teaching abstinence??!! Why am I not surprised?! Where are the parents??!!

Most public schools are failing? Not all of them and there are plenty of good public schools, especially in suburbs. The homeschooling isn't for everyone.

Not all people will follow the abstinence and when they learned about abstinence, but they still chose to sex with other partners. It is just like speed limit law but many people chose to speeding over the limit.

Not all people will follow the abstinence and when they learned about abstinence, but they still chose to sex with other partners. It is just like speed limit law but many people chose to speeding over the limit.

That right there says a lot about today's society. Thus the reason so many are against activists pushing for same sex marriges. They feel it's bad for civilization and degrades society as a whole.

That right there says a lot about today's society. Thus the reason so many are against activists pushing for same sex marriges. They feel it's bad for civilization and degrades society as a whole.

What hell are you talking?

This thread isn't place to debate about same sex marriage. :roll:

What?!

Plan B doesn't prevent STD, it only prevent from getting pregnant.

You misunderstood my question.

The correct answer is that Plan B is a back-up (hence the name Plan B) for irresponsible sex.

You misunderstood my question.

The correct answer is that Plan B is a back-up (hence the name Plan B) for irresponsible sex.

if condom broke... that's irresponsible sex?
if she got raped... that's irresponsible sex and illegitimate rape too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back