Morning-after pills made available to N.Y. high school students

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, before I forget. The school says it can give out a medicine but allow the parents to opt-out.
Well slap the school upside the head a hundred times until they understand they are NOT a DOCTOR they are SCHOOL. I've never ever heard of a DOCTOR working at a school during regular school hours. THEREFORE, the opt-out is a cope-out!

The schools do have licensed nurses so they are allow to give a medicines.

In our state, licensed nurses are only legally to give medicines or treatment to students.

The schools do have licensed nurses so they are allow to give a medicines.

In our state, licensed nurses are only legally to give medicines or treatment to students.

Yes they do have nurses and these nurses give prescription medicine that the parents are already aware of or will be notified that the medicine was given.

Oh, before I forget. The school says it can give out a medicine but allow the parents to opt-out.
Well slap the school upside the head a hundred times until they understand they are NOT a DOCTOR they are SCHOOL. I've never ever heard of a DOCTOR working at a school during regular school hours. THEREFORE, the opt-out is a cope-out!

Schools have nurses and a sick bay....there are several nurses on duty at my son's high school. Any meds a student has to take has to be given by the school nurse, and kept in a locked cabinet.....

The opt-out is not a "cope-out" as you stated, or a "cop-out"....It's totally up to the Parent whether to agree or not, and a signed permission form is necessary.

Yes they do have nurses and these nurses give prescription medicine that the parents are already aware of or will be notified that the medicine was given.

so it means your concern from #41 post is just silly because you know that school do have licensed nurses.

That's just phobia statement - no kidding.

so it means your concern from #41 post is just silly because you know that school do have licensed nurses.

That's just phobia statement - no kidding.

Nope, it is not. That is because I know for a fact that nurses can give out OVER-THE-COUNTER medicine, medicine BROUGHT FROM HOME and the parents are aware about it or medicine that is APPROVED BY A DOCTOR.

Nope, it is not. That is because I know for a fact that nurses can give out OVER-THE-COUNTER medicine, medicine BROUGHT FROM HOME and the parents are aware about it or medicine that is APPROVED BY A DOCTOR.

but you didn't state those in #41 and you are simply phobic about what happen goes with school.

The licensed nurses can give a prescription drugs to children too, especially Plan B for example.

Of course they can....it's not disputed...as for the "Morning-After Pill"...a letter of permission from the Parent(s) or legal guardian is necessary before they can dispense the pill to a minor. And I'm pretty sure if there are any side-effects they are listed on the consent form to the Parent(s)....Some parent(s) may check with their family doctor for more information before signing it and giving their permission....

And I'm very sure that whenever a teen has unprotected sex and is not on any birth control, they will not tell the Parent about their "activities"....They will opt for the pill in order not to become pregnant. Whether the school will inform the Parent or not, I don't know (about their teen having sex).

Schools have nurses and a sick bay....there are several nurses on duty at my son's high school. Any meds a student has to take has to be given by the school nurse, and kept in a locked cabinet.....

The opt-out is not a "cope-out" as you stated, or a "cop-out"....It's totally up to the Parent whether to agree or not, and a signed permission form is necessary.

Like you said, you have boys. And like I said, condoms are NOT medicine.

For girls, who said school nurses were capable of deciding if a student should be given a drug? How does the nurse even know if a doctor was aviliable that doctor would authorize the drug? Again, for girls I could see the nurse giving an over-the counter medicine for cramps and headaches related to menstruation. However, if a girl come in the office holding get stomach and complaining of sever pain then the nurse does not give a drug....she calls 911. Same thing with Plan B. How does a nurse be sure the girl needs Plan B? After all kids do lie. Maybe this girl did not have sexual intercourse in the last 48 hours but plans to have it tonight. That is why she wants to take it now. Alot of what-ifs that need the doctor to decide and not the nurse and certainly not the school.

Of course they can....it's not disputed...as for the "Morning-After Pill"...a letter of permission from the Parent(s) or legal guardian is necessary before they can dispense the pill to a minor. And I'm pretty sure if there are any side-effects they are listed on the consent form to the Parent(s)....Some parent(s) may check with their family doctor for more information before signing it and giving their permission....

And I'm very sure that whenever a teen has unprotected sex and is not on any birth control, they will not tell the Parent about their "activities"....They will opt for the pill in order not to become pregnant. Whether the school will inform the Parent or not, I don't know (about their teen having sex).

Yup and the state law (NYS) allows that.

Every states have different laws about how school handle with medicines or treatment for children.

Not logical. You are saying the parents can authorize a drug to be giving. However, there has to be a doctor's diagnosis, In otherwords the parents can not just demand the doctor give their daughter a drug. An example of this is b/c pills, the parent takes the girl TO THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE and gets a prescription. The girl,and even the parents, can not get b/c pills without a prescription.

Not logical. You are saying the parents can authorize a drug to be giving. However, there has to be a doctor's diagnosis, In otherwords the parents can not just demand the doctor give their daughter a drug. An example of this is b/c pills, the parent takes the girl TO THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE and gets a prescription. The girl,and even the parents, can not get b/c pills without a prescription.

Whether I have boys or girls...it's irrevalent!...The "Morning-After" Pill has been approved by the FDA...as "safe"....And we know that teens will have sex regardless....and some will not bother with Condoms....No body is "demanding" that a doctor give their child a "drug"....As far as birth control pills, they always don't work, forgot to be taken, side effects (same as for the "shot").....

The Parent is not authorizing their teen to have Sex....but a signed consent, in case their teen does...to take the Morning-After Pill in case they do. is a wise decision, IMO....Teens do not talk about their "sexual encounters" with their Parents.....An unwanted Pregnancy, an illegimate child is the last thing a Parent should want for their minor daughter....same as for a Parent of a minor boy.

um.... you do not need a prescription to get a Plan B. doctor is not needed to dispense Plan B.

Like you said, you have boys. And like I said, condoms are NOT medicine.

For girls, who said school nurses were capable of deciding if a student should be given a drug? How does the nurse even know if a doctor was aviliable that doctor would authorize the drug? Again, for girls I could see the nurse giving an over-the counter medicine for cramps and headaches related to menstruation. However, if a girl come in the office holding get stomach and complaining of sever pain then the nurse does not give a drug....she calls 911. Same thing with Plan B. How does a nurse be sure the girl needs Plan B? After all kids do lie. Maybe this girl did not have sexual intercourse in the last 48 hours but plans to have it tonight. That is why she wants to take it now. Alot of what-ifs that need the doctor to decide and not the nurse and certainly not the school.
perhaps you should sit down and sssssssshhhhh. you need to update your information because you are clearly not familiar with current school policy. RR is telling you how it works and you are clearly ignoring her.

maybe american children should learn and know how cross there kegs bit more take leaf out the little dude who send a lego kit into space practice physics as apposed to hands on biology, not much better in uk either

Whether I have boys or girls...it's irrevalent!...The "Morning-After" Pill has been approved by the FDA...as "safe"....And we know that teens will have sex regardless....and some will not bother with Condoms....No body is "demanding" that a doctor give their child a "drug"....As far as birth control pills, they always don't work, forgot to be taken, side effects (same as for the "shot").....

The Parent is not authorizing their teen to have Sex....but a signed consent, in case their teen does...to take the Morning-After Pill in case they do. is a wise decision, IMO....Teens do not talk about their "sexual encounters" with their Parents.....An unwanted Pregnancy, an illegimate child is the last thing a Parent should want for their minor daughter....same as for a Parent of a minor boy.

Did you not read where I posted "can Not just demand"? And yes there are many people that do go to doctors and DEMAND to be given a drug.......that happens everyday.

My point is still valid....a girl can NOT go to a nurse and say which drug she wants and be expected to get that drug. There had to be a diagnosis. And my little story about the girl lying can, and does, happen. You are right that no parents would want an unplanned pregnancy but my point is valid.......the girl is planning to have sex. And we all know what planning to have sex can led to.

Know why I think this is all happening? Because a minor girl can NOT walk into a pharmacy and purchase Plan B....only adult women can. There is NOT a drug on the market that FDA had NOT deemed "safe", however, we do continue to hear these recalls and pulling drugs back off the market and lawyers suing for damage due to a drug.

You seem to be a strong supported of teenage sex education and I really thank you for that. However, if one of your boys came to you and said to you: help me get this girl Plan B because my condom broke......what would you do? I would certainly hope you would not YOURSELF go get the pill and give it to the girl because to me that would be criminal. If it was my boy, I would immediately call together a conference of me, my boy, the girl and her parents. And I would offer financial assistance if necessary. I , and no one else does, make ALL medical decisions about my boy. Same thing for the girl, her parents are the ones who make all medical decisions.
Which includes if/of not she gets Plan B.

Both of my boys were home schooled! The public schools in most places are failures in this day and age. So now I guess we're telling them it's okay to have premarital sex! We'll give you the condoms, birth control pills and now the morning after pill! What ever happened to teaching abstinence??!! Why am I not surprised?! Where are the parents??!!

Because teaching abstinence doesn't work, teaching abstinence only leads to teenagers who are having sex with out proper education about how their bodies work, and how stds are spread. This is coming from someone who was a teen parent, my school taught abstinence, I legitimately thought there was a safe period to have sex and then an unsafe period to have sex, because not only did the schools not teach me about how it worked but neither did my parents. I wouldn't trade my kids for the world now, I have twin boys but having twins at 18 was not easy and if I and other kids had been more educated about how their bodies work, and not taught to be embarrassed to buy condoms or contraceptives, there would be less teen pregnancies.

There is no right or wrong about same sex marriage so only religious people oppose those, 50% support and 50% oppose.

In order for two people to want a same sex marriage wouldn't they have had sex prior to? I was just trying to show that one thing leads to another when it comes to sex outside of marriage. Whether it be teen pregnancy, STD's, promiscuity, prostitution, etc. By changing the norm, society becomes more acceptable to corruption and thus we become less civilized. The consequences are reprehensible and creating a stumbling block for future generations. History is full of examples, if only we could all see and learn from them.

Because teaching abstinence doesn't work, teaching abstinence only leads to teenagers who are having sex with out proper education about how their bodies work, and how stds are spread. This is coming from someone who was a teen parent, my school taught abstinence, I legitimately thought there was a safe period to have sex and then an unsafe period to have sex, because not only did the schools not teach me about how it worked but neither did my parents. I wouldn't trade my kids for the world now, I have twin boys but having twins at 18 was not easy and if I and other kids had been more educated about how their bodies work, and not taught to be embarrassed to buy condoms or contraceptives, there would be less teen pregnancies.

Kids can, and should, have both. In otherwords they need the full information about their whole body. Teaching a kid to avoid fatty food because it can damage the heart is just as important as teaching abstinence because irresponsible sex is always damaging. These kids need to know all the facts if "if you do that, this happens". And they also need the full information about how to avoid "this", regardless of what part of the body "this" pertains to. Making a wise decision about having sex includes the danger of having sex irresponsible and teaching them to hold off until they are fully aware of those dangers is logical.

Oh wow...the same characters with the same tired arguments. I don't know how a thread about plan b and teens turned to same sex marriage unless someone is obsessed with it, but...

In orwoulda want a different sex marriage, wouldn't they have had to have sex to know? sounds absurd.

Right or wrong, parents in our society. Have the right to make decisions for their minor children. So, if they agree to let their kids have access to plan b, who are we to impose our beliefs on them? The entire debate seems to be about imposing differing beliefs on the kids and parents involved.

Ask yourself...do you want a stranger telling you how to live your life, raise your kids and tell you what is right or wrong? Probably not. Do unto others....

Did you not read where I posted "can Not just demand"? And yes there are many people that do go to doctors and DEMAND to be given a drug.......that happens everyday.

My point is still valid....a girl can NOT go to a nurse and say which drug she wants and be expected to get that drug. There had to be a diagnosis. And my little story about the girl lying can, and does, happen. You are right that no parents would want an unplanned pregnancy but my point is valid.......the girl is planning to have sex. And we all know what planning to have sex can led to.

Know why I think this is all happening? Because a minor girl can NOT walk into a pharmacy and purchase Plan B....only adult women can. There is NOT a drug on the market that FDA had NOT deemed "safe", however, we do continue to hear these recalls and pulling drugs back off the market and lawyers suing for damage due to a drug.

You seem to be a strong supported of teenage sex education and I really thank you for that. However, if one of your boys came to you and said to you: help me get this girl Plan B because my condom broke......what would you do? I would certainly hope you would not YOURSELF go get the pill and give it to the girl because to me that would be criminal. If it was my boy, I would immediately call together a conference of me, my boy, the girl and her parents. And I would offer financial assistance if necessary. I , and no one else does, make ALL medical decisions about my boy. Same thing for the girl, her parents are the ones who make all medical decisions.
Which includes if/of not she gets Plan B.

You said:

Same thing for the girl, her parents are the ones who make all medical decisions.

And the article has stated....as we have said...time and time again!....the Consent Form is sent home to the Parent(s)...it's up to the Parent(s) to sign it or not...What part of that don't you understand?

The school would not give the teen a Pill if the Parent did not authorize it beforehand.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back