More school frusturations

marcyp06

Reaction score
It feels like every time I find the right path a giant boulder falls out of the sky and blocks my way.

A few months ago I was pondering my future and it hit me that I knew what I wanted to do with my life. Becoming part of the Deaf community has been so second nature to me that I hadnt even realized it. So I found a great Deaf Studies program (Seattle Central Community College) and got accepted to school. I quite my job and moved home with my Dad for a short while to get ready. Then I found out exactley HOW strict their financial aid rules are. I would have to take out bank loans to attend school there. That isnt an option for me. On the same day I also found out about RID requiring a 4 year degree to take the certification test. I was devestated on many levels.
I have always HATED school since 6th grade. I got suspended and expelled, went to an alternative school. I flunked out of community college twice and dropped out once while trying to work and go to school at the same time. But I dont want to be stuck working retail for the rest of my life and I have finally found something that I am head over heels in love with and could do every day for the rest of my life without question.

I gave up for a couple days and then started looking again and I found a 4 year ITP program at Western Oregon University. Both the school and the program seem to get great reviews. I started talking to advisors and program coordinators and just fell in love with everyone there. But it is EXPENSIVE. $32,000/yr for tuition/fees/books as well as housing/food/personal expenses. In my second two years once in the ITP program itself I would qualify for a tuition stipend/waiver, but not until then.

I finished my FAFSA (financial aid) application yesterday and the EFC (estimated family contribution/how much they think your family can pay towards tuition) was $60,000. Thats NOT going to happen. My Dad cant pay for my schooling. But because of that im not eligible for federal grants and the estimated I could get federal loans up to only $5,000/yr.

I am looking into trying to take two years of school at Central Washington University since its in the town where I am living. Tuition would be about$7,000/yr so there is a possibility they will offer me that much in a loan, and im hopeful. Then in two years when im ready to transfer to WOU for the ITP program I will be old enough that I wont have to use my Dads info when I fill out my FAFSA and should be eligible for more grant money and loans.

Im going to lose my mind if I dont get into school SOMEHOW. It sucks because there is no Deaf community in Ellensburg and the ASL teacher is... less than desireable. But at least ill be doing something and making some kind of progress.

Ok... thats my rant for the day!

What's wrong with the ASL instructor? I think I know who you are talking about.

There never has been a big deaf community in Ellensburg. Given the current policies and administration in place, I don't see that changing. But there are ASL interpreters in Ellensburg. And there are some deaf in town that aren't students at CWU. I think there is more deaf in Yakima.

$7000 in yearly tuition is a lot better than $32000. It would give you a chance to see if it was for you without the big expense and hassle of moving to another state.

If you are 22 years old, why do they still include your parents' income? You aren't their dependent, are you?

Since you have always hated school, has your attitude changed about attending college?

Not but the Federal Government requies you to file as dependant on your FAFSA and use your parents information unless:
•You are at least 24 years old on the day you file your FAFSA
•You are or will be enrolled in a masters or Doctoral degree program at the beginning of the school year
•You are married on the day you file your FAFSA
•You are a parent
•You have dependents other than your spouse who live with you and who receive more than half their support from you at the time you apply
•Both your parents are deceased (or were until age 18) a ward of dependent of the court
•You are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training
•You’re a Veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces.
•You were a foster child after the age of 13.
•You are an emancipated child as determined by a court judge.
•You are homeless or at risk of homelessness as determined by the director of a HUD approved homeless shelter, transitional program, or high school liaison.
Its really annoying.

Once I realized what I wanted to do with my life I am excited for school for the first time I can remember since elementary. I cant wait to start! Sitting around the house is driving me crazy! Maybe thats what its all about though, maybe thats why college didnt work out before, because I just wasnt really into what I was doing. I eat, sleep, and breath this culture. I dream in ASL. This isnt just a career path for me, its a life choice. And im ready to get started!

Wow, that's awful. People shouldn't have to wait until age 24 to be considered an independent adult.

Do they really expect your parents to pay for your college expenses?

Not but the Federal Government requies you to file as dependant on your FAFSA and use your parents information unless:
•You are or will be enrolled in a masters or Doctoral degree program at the beginning of the school year
•You are a parent
•You have dependents other than your spouse who live with you and who receive more than half their support from you at the time you apply
•Both your parents are deceased (or were until age 18) a ward of dependent of the court
•You are currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training
•You are homeless or at risk of homelessness as determined by the director of a HUD approved homeless shelter, transitional program, or high school liaison.
Its really annoying.

Once I realized what I wanted to do with my life I am excited for school for the first time I can remember since elementary. I cant wait to start! Sitting around the house is driving me crazy! Maybe thats what its all about though, maybe thats why college didnt work out before, because I just wasnt really into what I was doing. I eat, sleep, and breath this culture. I dream in ASL. This isnt just a career path for me, its a life choice. And im ready to get started!

marcy - are you sure?

from my understanding - FAFSA allows students up to 24 years old to be declared as DEPENDENT.

You can declare yourself as independent.

Am I eligible for federal student aid?
In general, to receive aid from the federal student aid programs, you must meet the following requirements:

Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen.

Have a high school diploma, General Educational Development (GED) certificate, pass an approved "ability to benefit" test, successfully complete six credit hours or the equivalent course work toward a degree or certificate, or have completed a high school education in a home school setting that is recognized as a home school or private school under state law.

Enroll or be accepted for enrollment in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or certificate.

Be registered with Selective Service if required (in general, if you are a male age 18 through 25).

Meet satisfactory academic progress standards set by your school.

Certify that you are not in default on a federal loan or owe money on a federal grant.

Certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes.

one question - I see that you flunked out of community college twice and dropped out once. Did you have FAFSA while you were in college?

One other thing to consider is that universities tend to be harder places to succeed academically than community colleges.

•You are a parent
Its really annoying.

Yup, that's right. In few years ago, I tried to declare as independent under FAFSA after hadn't live with parent for year so FAFSA told me that I have include my parent's income so just same shit for years until now, finally, I will be independent student in starting 2011-2012 school year due to age.

For now, if you are born in prior to Jan 1, 1988 so you will be independent student in 2011-2012 school year.

One other thing to consider is that universities tend to be harder places to succeed academically than community colleges.

Yup, that's true and one of public university won't accept me as transfer student due to unsatisfied ACT score so I went pick Gallaudet University and they accepted me as transfer student.

Yes I have to be dependant until 24 even though I moved out for first time at 14 and bought my own house at 18. Very frusturating.

I had scholarships to pay for my time at community college.

I hated the CC that I was at. Was very unhappy with the teachers and the policies. I was also trying to work two full time jobs as well as be a full time student and had my sister and her newborn living with me and my ex-wife and our marriage was failing.
So now I have left all behind and am ready to start fresh and put ALL my effort into school (will be avoiding jobs and relationships while in school). Also have finally found what im truly happy doing so that will help because I actually WANT to go to school to acheive my goals now.

"Federal student aid programs are based on the principle that students (and their parents or spouse, if applicable) are considered the primary source of support for postsecondary education." from FAFSA website. So yes, Reba, the government assumes parents will pay for college.

Yes im aware that CC are easier... but there are none around here and I dont want to have to pay rent while going to school. Not yet at least. University will be hard but im willing to work for that. Im sad I cant go straight to WOU because everyone there has been SO wonderful about calling and emailing me and answering every little question I have. CWU is... quite pathetic. But since I am in my hometown I have access to many other opportunities for help when I need it.

"Federal student aid programs are based on the principle that students (and their parents or spouse, if applicable) are considered the primary source of support for postsecondary education." from FAFSA website. So yes, Reba, the government assumes parents will pay for college. ...
Interesting. It never even occurred to me to ask my parents for college money. I always assumed it was up to me to find a way to pay for college. I never used FAFSA, so I don't know all their rules.

If parents do pay for college beyond the student's 18th birthday is the student still considered a dependent for IRS tax purposes, too?

What if the parents can't afford or refuse to pay for the child's tuition? (It seems weird to me to call someone in their 20's a child.)

Interesting. It never even occurred to me to ask my parents for college money. I always assumed it was up to me to find a way to pay for college. I never used FAFSA, so I don't know all their rules.

If parents do pay for college beyond the student's 18th birthday is the student still considered a dependent for IRS tax purposes, too?

What if the parents can't afford or refuse to pay for the child's tuition? (It seems weird to me to call someone in their 20's a child.)

IRS definition of dependant child: "Must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year and living at home, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year. "
My dad hasnt claimed me on his taxes since I bought my house when I was 18.

Under Federal law your family is primarily responsible-to the extent they are able-for paying for your college expenses. To determine how much your family can afford to pay towards your college expenses, we must collect your financial information and if you are a dependent student, we must also collect your parents' financial information.

Under very limited circumstances, an otherwise dependent student may be able to submit the FAFSA without parental information due to special circumstances

Examples of special circumstances where you may be able to submit your FAFSA without providing parental information include:

•Your parents are incarcerated; or
•You have left home due to an abusive family environment; or
•You do not know where your parents are and are unable to contact them (and you have not been adopted).

Not all situations are considered a special circumstance. The following are situations that would not be considered a special circumstance:

•Your parents do not want to provide their information on your FAFSA; or
•Your parents refuse to contribute to your college expenses; or
•Your parents do not claim you as a dependent on their income taxes; or
•You do not live with your parents.

Many people are barely getting by as is right now. Raising a child is incredibly expensive. Throw college on top of that and- ouch! Very few people actually have a "college fund" for their kids anymore. Im definatley planning on getting a Gerber Life college plan or uPromise plan started for my kids if I can.

if you want VR, try to exclude your parents' income. VR and SSI/SSI......

im hearing

Are you sure you don't quifity for disability support? I no here that apd only is classed as a learning disability and many people get workbridge(vr) support for it help with paying for an fm transmitter and receiver and help in class and so

Are you sure you don't quifity for disability support? I no here that apd only is classed as a learning disability and many people get workbridge(vr) support for it help with paying for an fm transmitter and receiver and help in class and so

I was diagnosed apd at age 9 or so in relation to some neurological disorders. But because I've never used medical services or supports and it hasn't really hindered me in any way or prevented me from doing anything I'm a pretty unlikely canidate for government help.

I was diagnosed apd at age 9 or so in relation to some neurological disorders. But because I've never used medical services or supports and it hasn't really hindered me in any way or prevented me from doing anything I'm a pretty unlikely canidate for government help.

:shock:ok lucky you

I need support to access auditory only learning as my apd means my hearing cuts in and out (from 30 db loss flat line to profound and anywhere in between)

And i can only glace(i can speed read about minute at time) at normal size print before it goes fizzy. I need irlens overlays with magnification and a ruler(at the moment im using a bar magnifier with an irlens overlay superglued to it) to read large amounts of texts or to read aloud normal sized print.For large print I only need a irlens overlay. and i have floaters that come and go. Learning braille and the unimanuel perkins keyboard
thats my visual processing disorder

if you want VR, try to exclude your parents' income. VR and SSI/SSI......

Not work if you are under 24 and VR required proof of parent's income before they can offer VR support, unless you override the dependent status in FAFSA so VR will need your income or SSI verification only.

Back