more interpreter issues...UGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I copied some of the important stuff that was said on this thread and printed it out to show to my mom your suggestions. She says that she agrees with you. And she has studied the RID interpreting rules, etc because she went to sinclair community college for sign language. She also told me that she has an associate degree for interpreting as well. I thought about my mom kind of being the back up for me but then i didn't think that would be a good idea. So yeah she knows some of the rules. But bleh, still nervous about what might or might not happen.. yikes!

I think your meeting is today. I hope it goes well... Do give us an update...

Hey all,
I had my meeting today.

Great news, my interpreter resigned! It was her decision, and her choice. The school did not ask her to resign. I'm so happy. They already have a sub-interpreter for me for the rest of the year I already know the sub-interpreter too, shes my friend's mother, who moved to ohio from california and are in band with me as well.. Tomorrow is my last day of school then friday is my spring break, my interpreter's last day is tomorrow so after tomorrow, my interpreter isn't coming back. The supervisor said that they are going to find an full-time interpreter for me this summer and will let me meet my new interp before school starts again.

So far, I'm satisfied, excited, and so happy. I feel as if this load of stress just lifted off of my shoulders. I'm looking forward to next year so i don't have any more drama with the same interpreter. Just a new fresh, clean slate to start over. I wish this would have happened a long time ago though. It's a little sad though because She has been my interpreter for 6 years. But she did not do her job. My parents said that i shouldn't feel guilty for her, resigning. And that i taught the school what deaf people really needs.

During the meeting they basically asked my parents and I a bunch of questions about how the interpreter is suppose to be signing to me and communication between the interpreter and the teachers. And they kind of made excuses about how i wasn't paying attention to both the teachers and the interpreter. I mean i am trying my best, but whatever, just as long my interpreter is gone, and that i'm getting a new interpreter, i'm fine with it :)

Yes, congratulations! That must feel so good, to know you have control over your accommodations, your services. That's how it should be!

Congrats!

One thing I would suggest is that you read up those links I posted before ... it's very important that you understand what your legal rights are (as well as responsibilities) as well as how to advocate for yourself.

This will become increasingly important once you're out of highschool, and have to advocate for your rights in situations like college/university and other situations (medical, legal, etc)

The more you learn about all these issues (including what your rights are, what various accommodation rules are in different settings, the rights/responsibilities and regulations that certified interpreters must abide by etc ) the better.

It's nice to have a "clean start"... it's a great time to make adjustments to prepare you for a more college setting :)

FWIW - personally, I had my 'terps sign all the time, even if I didn't audiologically "need" them to for some parts of the class - for me it was easier for the "default" to be "sign everything" and sometimes be able to understand what was orally said as well.

I am very glad that your interpreter resigned. I think she knew that she was going to get canned for unprofessional behavior. You will have a fresh start from now on with a new interpreter. Hopefully, that new interpreter will treat you with the respect.

Wow, I am very impressed that you have done it to make them realize what the deaf person need in the classrooms. I have never thought that the interpreter would not care to interpret for the deaf students or going to a public places. I don't know if the old interpreter would continue to interpret outside to another realm like public places. But good riddance of the old interpreter, now you can move on with a new interpreter in your classrooms. Congratulation, coolgirlspyer90. Way to go, girl. :thumb:

Great news, my interpreter resigned! It was her decision, and her choice. The school did not ask her to resign.

She probably saw the writing on the wall and knew it was time for her to go. Let's hope she resigned from the interpreting profession because judging by your comments, her behavior is disgraceful.

That sounds like a great idea, the whole videotape her thing. But then that raises a whole mess of questions about what you could have been doing while you were videotaping. I guess you could switch up your body language if that isn't exuding focus in the class. Be super attentive and then see what the teachers say. I really hope you get this all fixed. Is there any way you could fire her and ask for a replacement? She isn't doing her job properly at all and it was right of you to tell your mom. I mean seriously, she's an interpreter, not a life coach!!

That sounds like a great idea, the whole videotape her thing. But then that raises a whole mess of questions about what you could have been doing while you were videotaping. I guess you could switch up your body language if that isn't exuding focus in the class. Be super attentive and then see what the teachers say. I really hope you get this all fixed. Is there any way you could fire her and ask for a replacement? She isn't doing her job properly at all and it was right of you to tell your mom. I mean seriously, she's an interpreter, not a life coach!!

I agree. But I already resolved this problem in the spring with the school. She has resigned her position as an intepreter and isn't coming back.

Congrats, coolgirl!

For me, I haven't had any beef with any of my interpreters except a couple of them that my VR hired for - those 2 terps are actually sub-terps. The issues I've come to was the SLOW signing as if they hasn't taken the RID test - I mean, come on. I need to catch up on what the profs and the students in class are saying. If the reg terp is not gonna be showing up, the agency informs me via email. If there's no replacement, then I still go to class anyway, knowing that I have notetakers that take notes in carbon copy paper for me. The notetakers get paid by my disability advisors and they get CC papers from them. How did the disability advisor pick a random student from MY classes to take notes, you might ask? Well they took a look in the course database to see who's taking those same classes as myself, and they email to each one asking for notetaking assistance.

Anyway, I told VR and the terping agency to not hire those 2 terps again and they listened. So far, so good ... because I just graduated from my uni with a BS in IT! :D

I'm considering grad school after I take some time off. I need a well-deserved break.

I agree. But I already resolved this problem in the spring with the school. She has resigned her position as an intepreter and isn't coming back.

I look forward to future updates about the new terp. Go you!

Just reading through this all after it popped up on the new posts search...what a nightmare!

Why do some terps also think they're your mom/guardian/etc? That's just insulting.

Anywho, sending you well wishes for the new year!

k-12 interpreters seem to be under some utter delusion that it's not only their job to interpret, but also to be "parent","hall monitor","life judge" etc ... but it's NOT.
First, I know this post is old but I gotta respond.

I agree with your entire post. This one I kind of disagree but I am sure it is true in cases other than mine.

I had a fantastic interpreter in high school. She believed in only interpreting, not be a parent, hall monitor, etc. She fought my school about this because she has sworn secrecy. One day, the principle gave her the ultimatum - saying she will be fired or she does not agree with the school. And I guess she got scared for not knowing legalities at the moment. She and I would have conversations outside of classrooms and she is required to report what I am talking about, required to report if I am breaking any rules, etc. She wasn't a professional interpreter at that point and our friendship slowly drifted away.

My point is, I believe schools are responsible for interpreter's behavior despite being told by her own officials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back