Monopoly kicks out three classic game tokens

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
@DeafDucky maybe you can finally buy a new Monopoly game with new Duck tokens... :D

170314133014-monopoly-new-eight-780x439.jpg

There's been a big shakeup in Monopoly's eight classic game pieces. Say goodbye to the boot, wheelbarrow and thimble tokens.

The ouster of the classic trio is the result of an online vote Monopoly parent Hasbro (HAS) held in January at VoteMonopoly.com, marking the first time in Monopoly's 82-year history that Hasbro crowdsourced the future of the game.

Voters were faced with a choice: Should Hasbro replace some -- or all -- of the traditional game pieces like the top hat and boot with more culturally relevant items like a hashtag, emoji or computer?

More than 4.3 million votes determined the newly configured group of eight: a T-Rex, rubber ducky and penguin will join the five classic tokens Scottie the dog, hat, car, cat and battleship. The boot, wheelbarrow and thimble won't appear in the game starting this fall.

"While we can't say why these exact tokens were chosen or who exactly chose them, we know they represent the voices of our fans -- young and old -- from around the world," said Jonathan Berkowitz, senior vice president of marketing for Hasbro Gaming.

Still, he said fans of the now rejected boot, wheelbarrow and thimble did rally hard to keep them around longer.

"We saw a lot of passionate fans out there, including Singer Sewing Co., who rallied their fans on their social pages to keep the thimble token," said Berkowitz. Hardware chain Ace Hardware used social media to drum up support for the wheelbarrow.

"I imagine that the thimble, boot, and wheelbarrow tokens don't resonate as much with today's fans," Berkowitz said.

Although crowdsourcing input is unique for the brand, Hasbro has launched 300 different versions of Monopoly to date. Most recently Hasbro released a cashless version of the game, Monopoly Ultimate Banking, which used bank cards and an electronic banking unit instead of paper bills.

"We're always listening to our fan base," said Berkowitz. "They're very engaged with the brand, especially on Facebook (FB, Tech30). We want them to continue to weigh in with ideas."

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/17/technology/monopoly-classic-game-tokens/

I love Monoply. I have a Twin Cities (Minnesota) version of it as well as a cat version :)

The original Monopoly had a cat token???? I never knew that and we played that game about a hundred times.

The cat token came out in the 2014 edition.
I was wondering about that too because I didn't remember a cat. Somebody over there finally wisened up and added the cat :) (I'm talking about the regular version, not the cat version I have.)

The cat token came out in the 2014 edition.
The first Monopoly games came with no tokens, players were instructed to use small items found around the house. The first games to include tokens came with wooden tokens that looked somewhat like chess pawns and were each painted a different color. The metal pieces came out in 1935, and were the Top Hat, the Thimble, the Iron, the Canon, the Shoe, and the Battleship.

Yes the iron disappeared in favor of the cat.

They got rid of the boot?!! I ALWAYS took the boot when we played Monopoly! Well maybe our set will become more valuable...hmm.

But I guess I'll accept the lil rubber ducky as a replacement....

Yes the iron disappeared in favor of the cat.

They got rid of the boot?!! I ALWAYS took the boot when we played Monopoly! Well maybe our set will become more valuable...hmm.

But I guess I'll accept the lil rubber ducky as a replacement....
I try to get the hat.
Hmmm. If there were kitties goodness knows what woulda happened.

I would need to dig mine out of a storage chest. I think it is from the 1950's as I was born in 1942 and would have really been young to play Monopoly in the 1940's.

I would need to dig mine out of a storage chest. I think it is from the 1950's as I was born in 1942 and would have really been young to play Monopoly in the 1940's.
I don't give likes, but I like this.
Wanna play? :)

Getting rid of the wheelbarrow? Boo! How else will carry away my $$ when I win? I have Ghettoploy. Unopened.
Check out the playing pieces. :)
615Yu3B39BL.jpg

Getting rid of the wheelbarrow? Boo! How else will carry away my $$ when I win? I have Ghettoploy. Unopened.
615Yu3B39BL.jpg
Obviously not a Hasboro creation! My guess is there was or is a lawsuit pending!

615Yu3B39BL.jpg
I don't see weed as part of ghetto stuff so it is medically necessary for some of us.

Obviously not a Hasboro creation! My guess is there was or is a lawsuit pending!
You are right! I checked the box. No Hasbro trademark anywhere. I do remember that there was something going on with this game, but could not remember what.

I don't see weed as part of ghetto stuff so it is medically necessary for some of us.

I am under the impression that at one time it was. Thus, if this is an older version, it makes sense to me.

I am under the impression that at one time it was. Thus, if this is an older version, it makes sense to me.

They are fake, not real.

Monopoly NEVER make ghetto version.

Did some research and Ghettopoly was a parody on Monopoly done by David Chang that was released in 2003. It was criticized by the NAACP as being racist and Hasboro brought a lawsuit against Chang for trademark infringement and he was found guilty with a default judgement when Chang produced no documents in his defense and Hasoro was awarded $400,000 which Chang has never paid. The game is still being sold on David Chang's website as well as on Amazon.

Wow surprised Amazon is selling it.. and here I thought they were cracking down on businesses that were fake or at least promoting items that obviously broke the trademark law.

Back