Monkeys & Apes

sallylou

Potterhead and Janeite
Premium Member
Reaction score
Following up on a derailment on another thread (sorry! :Oops:), here's a thread for people who like monkeys and apes.

Here's my favorite kind of monkey--the Golden Lion Tamarin

Golden Lion Tamarins, Golden Lion Tamarin Pictures, Golden Lion Tamarin Facts - National Geographic

I like them because they have beautiful fur and they are very active. At the Denver Zoo, they have a golden lion tamarin that they allow outside in the trees with a special electronic collar. He loves it!

For those people who don't know about the bonobos, here's a link:

http://www.bonobo.org/

Jillio taught me that they are the apes that are most genetically similar to humans (98-99%). They are also matriarchial.

Wow! He is beautiful.

I'm still partial to my bonobos, but I find all primates to be fascinating.

White handed gibbon or also called lar gibbon, is my favorite ape. It is one of the lesser apes, and I like their faces. They look like people to me.

qrasyv.jpg

They are awesome beings.
I sometimes check out Koko,org, though it makes me sad.

Yea, gorilla are really sociable. They need to be with other gorillas with plenty of room and stimulation.

apes are the whole family. Gorillas are apes, except they're (species) of apes native only to the africas.

We had some friends in Missouri who had a macaque monkey as a pet.

pig tailed macaque - Google Search

His name was Austin Charles and he wore a diaper and had his own cage and bedroom in the house. While I was changing him one day, one of the kids was making funny faces and Austin turned and bit me something fierce. Since they did not have his shots up to date, I had to have all kinds of shots as well as rabies vaccinations as a precaution. Never again will I go near a monkey.

me, I'm interested in measures of their intelligence. Ayumu (the chimp) is one of them I had done some research in comparing with other species.

Is it true that AIDS come from monkeys or is that a myth?

There is a form of the HIV virus that is found in monkeys but it is not the same virus as is found in humans. The hypothesis is that the simean virus mutated and infected people, or vice versa. Nothing has really been definitively confirmed, either way.

Oooh, monkeys and apes--some of my favorites!

My favorites are orangutans. So peaceful, so beautiful, and so intelligent.

Gibbons are pretty lovely, but they have incredibly loud and intense screams that are very haunting. Not as bad as howler monkeys, though--they're the frat boys of the jungle!

As for bonobos, if you can find a captioned version of Sue Savage-Rumbaugh's TED talk on bonobos, definitely watch it! Kanzi the bonobo plays Pac Man in it. I've watched that video at least five or six times and actually made my ex sit and watch it with me. :x

There's a primate rescue about an hour or two from where I live, and when they got a shipment of macaques who had been used in research labs they asked for name suggestions. I suggested Milano (the masculine version of my name), and they chose it, so I have a monkey named after me. :) I send a meager $10 a month (poor college student, etc.) to sponsor him. Here's a picture:
0005q31e
The fact that he has numbers tattooed on his chest to identify him (reminiscent of how the Nazis kept track of concentration camp prisoners) breaks my heart.

I also find the bonobos to be particularly fascinating; the societal differences between them and chimps are intriguing to me.

sometimes I do check on Koko, too. I have mixed feelings about that whole situation.

Back