Money, Money, Money????

dereksbicycles

Reaction score
Don't worry, I'm not asking for money :)

I'm interested in getting a subscription to "Money" magazine. Do any one of you read that magazine. If "Money" is not the best, what similar magazines would be of interest and why??

Can you read it for free at the library?

Can you read it for free at the library?

that's assuming if library has it. your best bet is to go to any nearest bookstore and read it there.

What financial aspect are you looking for? There are different sources for different kinds of financial info.

I read Forbes for some of its interesting and inspiring articles.

At this point, you aren't really missing out on much, mostly sorting through speculation and legit info.

Maybe I should start reading this kind of information to prepare myself for when I finish college and get a real job. I wonder if there are any economic speculators who have a good track record of analyzing and predicting what course of financial planning to do for the next few years. Those are the guys/girls I'd like to read.

I'm interested mostly in managing short and long term funds. I also want to read about people that have successful small business. See how they built it up. What resources they used to start business.....

I'm interested mostly in managing short and long term funds. I also want to read about people that have successful small business. See how they built it up. What resources they used to start business.....

Wait a sec, are you trying to become a loan shark? You've already got the crazed rottweiler to bite people if they don't pay you back... :hmm:

I thought Muhammad Yunus was very inspirational. You should read his book - Banker To The Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty.

http://www.ted.com/talks/bunker_roy.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/anupam_mishra_the_ancient_ingenuity_of_water_harvesting.html

Maybe I should start reading this kind of information to prepare myself for when I finish college and get a real job. I wonder if there are any economic speculators who have a good track record of analyzing and predicting what course of financial planning to do for the next few years. Those are the guys/girls I'd like to read.

you can always take an economic course in college - highly recommended!

I hadn't thought of that and it's an excellent idea, especially since I must choose two non-science electives for my senior year starting in September.

skotan_Thumbs_up_smiley.png

Forbes and wall street journal is two I try to read when I'm at the bank or at the library trying to figure out what my niche in the money game is.

It depends on who is teaching what perspective... If you're in Harvard or some Ivy League school, you're screwed... Here's a massive dump for you.

I used to do this research until I left this behind a year ago to try to embrace the outdoors life. Nowadays, I only read a few articles from critical sources whom I learned to be reliable with a good track record of what was predicted and whether it happened. Look at this one article before I do a partial field dump. This is an article from Wall Street Journal dated yesterday, May 27th, titled "The Recovery Starts With Sound Money: The willingness to work for the sake of future prosperity is a universal human quality, but people must believe there is a link between effort and reward." The excerpt is below, and the rest can be found at Judy Shelton: The recovery starts with sound money | Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee

-------------------
BY JUDY SHELTON

The euro is beset with fiscal calamities that threaten its downfall, and markets in the U.S. are roiled by uncertainty over the government's financial regulatory legislation. But don't worry. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner meets with European finance officials today to discuss the economic situation. According to a Treasury Department statement, they will focus on "measures being taken to restore global confidence and financial stability." So everything is under control.
-------------------

Most things my sources and I have seen in advance have happened.

There are three major events we saw coming: deleveraging; debt implosion; and asset deflation. Deleveraging in the OTC markets run by black-box computer models, marked-to-model rather than marked-to-market like they're supposed to be, that operate faster than human operators are capable of intervening. Debt implosion when the debtors fail to make good on their obligations through getting in over their heads or losing their jobs. Asset deflation when the housing market busted and a lot of people went upside down on the loans and couldn't get out before the teaser terms and initial small payments ended. The last 5 years has been like a safari into the financial jungle, except you needed a computer and shorts and t-shirt instead of a Land Rover and safari clothes. It was one heck of a ride.

The dump below is only a portion of works I have used to build my understanding of what is happening around us.

Archives and Past Daily Reckoning Articles
Archives
Economic News & Analysis - Bloomberg
Press Releases, Essays, GATA in the Press | Gold Anti-Trust Action Committee
The Housing Bubble Blog
The Bank Implode-O-Meter - Your play-by-play for the end game of modern banking.
The Hedge Fund Implode-O-Meter - tracking the hedge fund implosion - leverage, speculation, SIVs, CDOs, arbitrage, interest rates, credit bubble
The Home Builder Implode-O-Meter - tracking the home building industry implosion
The Mortgage Lender Implode-O-Meter - tracking the housing finance breakdown, related to Alt-A and subprime mortgages, lending fraud, predatory lending, housing bubble, mortgage banking, foreclosures, debt, consolidation, lawyers, class-action lawsui
Shadow Government Statistics - Home Page
Gold, Precious Metals News Wire - GoldSeek.com
Market Focus: Storm Watch | FINANCIAL SENSE
MarketWatch - Stock Market Quotes, Business News, Financial News
Silver Strategies - Information Source About Silver Investment
Uncommon Wisdom Daily ? Extraordinary Insights For Growing Your Wealth
Money and Markets ? FREE Financial Investment Publication
Weiss Ratings
Weiss Ratings
Investment Rarities Incorporated Theodore Butler Silver Archives
(the above link on Ted Bulter is particularly important - you can also click home to read the works of other people)
http://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/compare/
FDIC: Failed Bank List
U.S. Data Sources | Library of Economics and Liberty
http://www.honestmoneyreport.com/index.php
GoldenSextant
The United States Mint About Us
Got Gold Report
Top Analysts Research Index
(under this link, look for their past work under Aden sisters, Bill Bonner, Ted Butler, Doug Casey, James R Cook, Deepcaster, Larry Edelson, John Embry, Ira Epstein, Antal E Fekete, Eric Fry, Douglas V Gnazzo, Nelson Hultberg, John Mauldin, Clive Maund, Dan Norcini, Hugo Salinas Price, Steve Saville, Puru Saxena, Eric Sprott, Ed Steer at http://www.caseyresearch.com/free-publications/ed-steers-gold-and-silver-daily/, Don Stott, James Turk, Pan van Eeden, Jim Willie CB - I strongly urge you to google all these names to get to their current web sites)
Stock Market News & Financial Analysis - Seeking Alpha
Agora Financial has been a leading innovator in the financial advice industry for over 25 years. Offering a full range of financial ideas, we can help you make successful investments.
Articles from Credit Suisse which was pushed to me from one or more of the sources above.

Look at some specific articles here:

Oxford University historian traces first credit crunch back to Roman republic | Business | The Guardian
10 Gold Charts Commercial Investment Firms Never Want Clients to See | The Underground Investor
Two more Census workers blow the whistle - NYPOST.com
Is Europe heading for a meltdown? - Telegraph
U.K. Consumer Confidence Unexpectedly Declines on Spending-Cut Concerns - Bloomberg

And then I read sites like CNN, BBC News, ABC News, USA Today, Reuters ONLY to determine what the government via mainstream media is NOT telling us through misinformation and omissions of facts. I also looked carefully at whether the media was pulling away from or being pushed closer to what the government wanted us to hear. That's why I was putting in 8~12-hour days. What has been comforting in the past is reading all that is going on, and yet seeing outside in the streets that the world goes on. It does. The sun rises, we get up and go to work, people come to my store to buy things to go overlanding, car camping, backpacking, traveling out of the country, things get done, I come home and see these beautiful travel stories online. My hope is it continues this way, and we find a way out of this and restore some sanity to this financial world we find ourselves in and understand better how that impacts economically what happens in México, but my research indicate some very hard lessons ahead for those who forget history.

I hope that none of this comes to pass, but I'm no longer in the position to be shocked should it happen.

Let me know if these links don't work, and I'll fix it, if I can.

Back