Mom with hoh son

Brittany123

Reaction score
Hello my name is brittany and i just found out my 1 year old is hard of hearing in his left ear im a single mother looking for advice and input i go to the ears nose and throat doctor in two weeks and ive been a emotional wreck feeling like i cant do this and just been crying i need some mommy friends that have kids that are hard of hearing just looking for support and advice if you can tell me what the ent doctors will do and if i will need to teach my hearing impaired child sign language thank you in advance

The ent will see if there is fluid behind the ear drums. If there is it is called earlier glue and is 100% fixable. They will also do a hearing test. It all depends on how much hearing loss your child has. I started with mild hearing loss so my parents raised me hearing.
Anyways welcome to alldeaf. :)

Hello my name is brittany and i just found out my 1 year old is hard of hearing in his left ear im a single mother looking for advice and input i go to the ears nose and throat doctor in two weeks and ive been a emotional wreck feeling like i cant do this and just been crying i need some mommy friends that have kids that are hard of hearing just looking for support and advice if you can tell me what the ent doctors will do and if i will need to teach my hearing impaired child sign language thank you in advance
You can hook up with your state's Hands and Voices http://www.handsandvoices.org/chapters/starts.htm or Ag Bell http://www.agbell.org/Landing.aspx?id=137

The majority of unilateral loss kids respond VERY well to traditional HOH style accomondations (ie HA, front row seating, use of an FM) ASL can be a great option for a second language, especially as unilateral loss kids tend to struggle in noise. Basicly look into every and anything. Be proactive and openminded!

Back