Model of CI?

It varies from center to center. Some people actually get activated like 3-5 days after surgery, but more commonly about 2 weeks to a month.

Angel, good luck with the MRI and so on!

My surgeon says 6 weeks before activation. He says the surgery site has to heal up nice before any activation.

My activation was 4 weeks. I understand this is common.
I was "allowed" to go swimming within 2 weeks but suggested that no weightlifting- over head- for 6 months. The doctor was very careful-"splitting the skull healing stitches" is no fun to repair! Didn't want to go to Emergency with an "open wound". Not worth it.

Angel, we both had appointments today! I had to get an MRI done too actually. Surgeon decided we needed to be sure about ossification in my left ear (CT scan was clear, but my mom was questioning it because of what we've been told for so long, so he decided MRI was necessary just to be sure. I guess sometimes CT scan will be clear, but then when surgeon gets into the ear he finds ossification so CT isn't always right). Yeah. But I did order my AB processors (1 harmony, 1 neptune). Now just gotta wait for surgery to happen (March 21), then activation (April 3). I'm excited!

I was planning on doing that for DS (4 yrs old). AB processors (1 harmony, 1 neptune). I wondered if that was an option. Glad to know that it is. He's use to having his hearing aids BTE so I wasn't sure he would adapt to the body worn device. Let me know if you find it bothersome to have 2 different device switched back and forth or if it made a difference at all. I was hoping to keep it simple. switch to the neptune at bath time and use the harmony for all the other time. scheduled for implant 3/23/12. going in for selection next week.

I was planning on doing that for DS (4 yrs old). AB processors (1 harmony, 1 neptune). I wondered if that was an option. Glad to know that it is. He's use to having his hearing aids BTE so I wasn't sure he would adapt to the body worn device. Let me know if you find it bothersome to have 2 different device switched back and forth or if it made a difference at all. I was hoping to keep it simple. switch to the neptune at bath time and use the harmony for all the other time. scheduled for implant 3/23/12. going in for selection next week.

if your center gives 2 processors, then yes you can get 1 of each. I plan on using the Neptune first at activation, to give my ear a bit more time to heal up before wearing the Harmony. When I wear the Harmony more full time, I'll use the Neptune for wet situations or if my ear needs a break from the BTE.

I had a look 2 cochlear implant are Med el and AB .I have dediced that am going with Med el ,The speech processor do look like a gun but i am not concern about it because they have improved battery quantity ,So they have usually 3 battery now they can do 2 battery therefore is small speech processor and also they have reduce the size coil magnet .Have u seen electrode array med el implant had ?? That was very special array,is look like soft rubber ,very smooth and soft.when insert the nerves is to stop damage inside delicate skins
I think Med el is the best choice 4 me
Am waiting for implant and operation booked if all goes ahead

I am a litttle worried now. My "all clear" MRI is next week. Yesterday I had a small seizure and fell. I am praying this doesn't change, or delay my CI surgery. I pray my MRI shows no problems with my brain, and that everything is back to normal. I hope everyone else going through this journey is doing well and not hitting any speed bumps.

my experience: AB in right ear, removed due to problems, AB in left ear, sound was ok but not great. I'm late-deafened but use ASL. Seven years after removing AB in right ear I got Med-El put in on right ear. Wow, sound is fantastic. I have Neptune AB in left ear which is so lousy compared to my Med-El that I hardly ever use it. Med-El is so much better, the sound is like I remember, I can use the phone again, hear the television and radio, it is like I am hearing again. I highly recommend the Med-El. They have much better technology. They avoid all the bells and whistles that AB has. They focus on the implant itself. I don't have any experience with Cochlear, but if Med-El can give me back sounds like I used to hear, then I am very happy. I want to remove the AB in my left ear and get another Med-El, even though I just got the new Neptune.

my experience: AB in right ear, removed due to problems, AB in left ear, sound was ok but not great. I'm late-deafened but use ASL. Seven years after removing AB in right ear I got Med-El put in on right ear. Wow, sound is fantastic. I have Neptune AB in left ear which is so lousy compared to my Med-El that I hardly ever use it. Med-El is so much better, the sound is like I remember, I can use the phone again, hear the television and radio, it is like I am hearing again. I highly recommend the Med-El. They have much better technology. They avoid all the bells and whistles that AB has. They focus on the implant itself. I don't have any experience with Cochlear, but if Med-El can give me back sounds like I used to hear, then I am very happy. I want to remove the AB in my left ear and get another Med-El, even though I just got the new Neptune.

i do like what u have put comment :), i cannot wait for the switch on about 3 weeks away as i have med el implant inserted in my head :D .i have be told by the surgeon that Med el have never had any recall so that tell u something special about med el .

wore phonak HA 31yrs
senisneural hearing loss nov 2011
Med el implanted 19/07/2012
switch on ...... waiting :)

I can believe you hear better in your right ear than your left, but that doesn't mean it's the implant. What bells and whistles are Med El avoiding? How does AB not focus on the implant itself (when that is precisely what they do.) What were the initial problems?

Most post-linguals experience sound like they remember it with their AB implant. The implant can be adjusted to any level including what you use with Med El. More than likely the issue is your own physiology. Putting a Med El in your left ear isn't necessarily going to give you what you have in your right.

If you disagree, perhaps you'd like to go into detail on how Med El has much better technology and what these cumbersome bells and whistles are? Use facts and technical specifications. Then we will have a better understanding of what works better for you.

Just as I suspected, another hit and run propaganda campaign. I always respected Med El, but if they are sending people out on the internet to drop posts like this on any hearing loss related forums the way Cochlear has in the past with their paid advocates, they are going to drop off my list of respected companies. The practice insults their targets by addressing them as if they are idiots who don't question claims. "Just get this implant, most advanced tech. I dunno why, it just is! I had three AB devices fail and two Cochlear devices fail and they all sounded like crap an now I hear better than I did when I wuz hearing!"

Yeah.. an implant that basically uses CIS, a strategy that both Cochlear and AB moved on from years ago, is magically the most advanced.

Back