Mobile Phone Caption?

rowebil

Reaction score
Okay, so my Dad has been born deaf in one ear, and 75% (deaf) hard of hearing in the other. I was pretty sure he was 90% (deaf) hard of hearing in the one ear, but my Mom said 75%.

Anyhow, he bought an app for his phone and asked me to figure out how to work. Supposedly it is just for him to talk, and then see's the text. It could even be for talking to someone in person, having the app open, then reading what they said.

He likes his caption phone at home, but he was wondering if there were any apps that could intercept the phone call, type out the conversation, and display it on his Android phone.

What does everyone else use to speak on a mobile phone?
I can't seem to find an app, ONLY for sign language interpreting, but he doesn't know ASL. (I do :)
If anyone on here is a developer, this is a good potential app!

He uses a Bluetooth enabled hearing aid which works, but having caption is convenient.

Okay, so my Dad has been born deaf in one ear, and 75% (deaf) hard of hearing in the other. I was pretty sure he was 90% (deaf) hard of hearing in the one ear, but my Mom said 75%.

Anyhow, he bought an app for his phone and asked me to figure out how to work. Supposedly it is just for him to talk, and then see's the text. It could even be for talking to someone in person, having the app open, then reading what they said.

He likes his caption phone at home, but he was wondering if there were any apps that could intercept the phone call, type out the conversation, and display it on his Android phone.

What does everyone else use to speak on a mobile phone?
I can't seem to find an app, ONLY for sign language interpreting, but he doesn't know ASL. (I do :)
If anyone on here is a developer, this is a good potential app!

He uses a Bluetooth enabled hearing aid which works, but having caption is convenient.

You don't give us the right information to be of much help.

Lets start with something that I want to make sure I am understanding right from what you did post. He does speak and in such a way that most other people can understand him?

You just mentioned the operating system that his phone uses; but who does he get his phone service from (Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc.)?

There are apps out there that will give captions of what the other person on the call is saying. But, there are things need to qualify for using them because of government subsidies and thus rules.

One place you might want to look is Hamilton CapTel: Smartphone: Android

Feel free to come back with additional information and questions.

Dragon Dictation is free
As a person is speaking, Dragon will transcribe the words for the person who is hard of hearing to read. Though it is not perfect, it will usually give enough information to improve understanding of the conversation. This is a great free tool and works best in enviornments that are not overly noisy.

Back