Miley Cyrus College Course

KikLove

Reaction score
March 27 (UPI) -- If you're a Skidmore College student and you can't get enough of the media back-and-forth about Miley Cyrus' transformation from Disney Channel princess to twerking, tongue-happy pop star, then you're in luck.
Carolyn Chernoff, a visiting assistant professor of sociology at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, N.Y., is offering an intensive summer course called "The Sociology of Miley Cyrus: Race, Class, Gender, and Media."

Like everything else to do with Miley, it seems to begin with that VMAs performance.

"I was teaching a course called Youth Culture in and out of School, and the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards (VMA) became the twerk heard ’round the world,” Chernoff told the Saratogian. “I showed that video to my class, and the students had so much to say.”

The class description says it will "using Miley as a lens through which to explore sociological thinking about identity, entertainment, media and fame."

Class themes will include the "rise of the Disney Princess," "allies and appropriation" and "bisexuality, queerness and the female body."

"Unfortunately, the way we talk about female pop stars and female bodies, class matters, gender matters, sexuality and sexual performance matters, but race matters a lot [too] and the way we talk about white pop stars is quite different than how we talk about the bodies of women of color," Professor Chernoff told ABC News. "[Cyrus] complicates representations of the female body in pop culture in some ways that are good, bad, and ugly."

Read more: Skidmore College offering summer course on Miley Cyrus - UPI.com

Too funny, I wonder if it will involve a paper on the intricacies of the twerk

Mew, this is the core of Media studies thats what my diploma was on (i graduated last year), this year is Social Policy at governmental level....real boring shit....
but yeah i think its an interesting course....(about miley because it is about how the ideological and representation dymanic goes back and forth, and reinstating or reinventing the same old or new on old aspect of ideological confusion which the media drives to today's younger population....

....so i kind of like it, BUT, ...caveat emptor is that it is really just a in depth snapshot of todays hype...so it might be useless for tomorrow BUT in pure academic sense if you actually muster up a theoretical analysis and discourse it might be useful for post-modernism......

I heard a sociology course at my alma mater (U of SC) was given in 2010 that featured Lady Gaga as a case study. Becoming pretty common?

Source

well, i think that's clever to make sociology to be once again attractive and fashionable, i mean like everyone's getting sick of knowing facts and stuff, when in the 80's-90's early 2000's (while internet was climbing but novelty of internet still high...)...its like it kind of made sociology more or less 'redundant' and so the social phenomena of Lady Gaga does encompass many elements of "social questions" of why this music phenomena is a tread in a nicely put together, like a Madonna reinvented? or a mass appealing is still much alive? or this 'mass appealing' projection has changed but to help driving this shift from 1950 "Love is for everyone", to "explore the soul and do drugs, love and peace hippie/other awakening birth of rock n roll drug culture" 1960s -1970s 'is 1960 with more consumerism the to "I suffer and I want dream" 1980s to "Let's be individuals" 1990's " to "Me first" 2000's, then to "I got to prove to the world I'm worth it" 2010's generation mindsets or preoccupation, but question (sociological or not) arises are like who wrote this, who pushes for this psyche's molding, (psychological questions might be like what degree along the spectrum of introvert-ism to extrovert ism are shifted and why its important for shaping people's obligation or drive to find work, love, and dreams....hell even which dreams are 'permitted' or censored'.....

here's a material view, Op-shopping is made more appealing when Cyndi Lauper rose to fame in early-mid 1980s, wearing cheap clothes cut and mixed....now these days music video shows expensive BRAND names of clothing's pushing youths to spend $$$$$....on that image....

sociological? you bet there is some sociological perspective, explanations for these changes and trends and how much market forces are hovering on young gullible (or profitable, or rich or energetic (but what sort of energetic, business driven - invention driven? etc _ minds

so of course, that i now see why those lecturers are 'marketing out their sociology' for increased streams of students. (and keeping their position (jobs) in the university etc as (accountability gone mad)....what remains question though, how what these cadets once graduated , what will they do with it? more bent into music/clothing/marketing industry to go even more persuasive?
or will it mean a more enlightened, critical, wary and that would equip youth workers, counselors?

that would another interesting question, only time can answer some of these.....

so do I , if i can afford it, right now im NOT studying , why? too expensive!!

how to reinvent yourself,typical sociology stuff.. madona from slut to mother of Africa miley sweeti pie to slut.. next incarnation earth mother I bet money on that

Since when does sociology projects have to be studied on celebrities? Might as well call it the Twerking University.
:P

nothing new, celebrities ALWAYS had been studied, political science, art history, medicine (who found, invented), list goes on....

I want take Jiro 101.

Before Jiro 101: Hello, how are you? Do you have fun today?

After Jiro 101: lol lol lol lol lol

wtf?
lol
NO, don't be stupid

Katie-Cassidy-Wink.gif

Back