Michigan State University Deaf Education Program Closing

heatherrogers

Reaction score
I'm currently a student at MSU in the Deaf Education program. On November 9, we received an email stating that pending approval from the university governance, MSU will stop accepting applicants for its Deaf Ed program in the spring of 2010, and all students currently enrolled will need to be finished by the year 2013. MSU is the only school in our state that teaches Deaf Ed using ASL (Eastern Michigan University has an oral program), and the students here are extremely concerned, upset, and shocked that MSU is considering cutting such a unique and vital program. Since the news has come out, we have had an outpouring of support around us both on campus and throughout the community.

We have since started a petition that we plan to present to the University president and would love any support we can get - please ignore the donation request at the end of the petition - you don't have to donate money and it does not go towards our cause, its an ad for the website.

Keep Deaf Education Program at Michigan State University Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

In addition, we are planning to hold a rally on Dec. 4 at 10:00 am in front of the Hannah Administration Building on campus to protest against the university's decision to close this program. I'll also post some links to various facebook pages we have with more information as well. The students here at MSU believe strongly in our program and in the future of our students!

Support Deaf Ed/ASL: KEEP DEAF-ED MAJOR AT MSU! | Facebook

Rally Information: RALLY TO KEEP DEAF EDUCATION PROGRAM AND ASL CLASSES AT MSU | Facebook

Same thing happened to the University of Pittsburgh - not enough qualified teachers...

My friend had to drop out of MSU because they were planning to drop their Deaf Education program. I hope the rally and petition will change the university administrators' minds about canceling the program.

It is my understanding that there would be no Deaf Education program in the state of Michigan, should they go ahead to cancel it.

Seems that deaf people aren't important to the hearing world and they throw us out like we're trash.

Yiz

Seems that deaf people aren't important to the hearing world and they throw us out like we're trash.

Yiz

Of course! Nothing new under the sun. I know how you feel.

As Glenn said, what we have been told the reason for the cut is financial. But there are still a lot of questions to be answered because while they are cutting the ASL program which typically has very good enrollment, they are keeping other programs will lower class sizes.

In terms of Deaf Ed programs in MI, EMU will have the only one left and they are a strictly oral program. Madonna U. only offers a Deaf Studies degree and LCC an interpreting program. We are really hoping that the rally on the 4th makes a difference, and are quite lucky that on the next day, Dec 5th, the ASL Expo will be in Lansing. If you find yourself in the area please feel free to stop by!

Heather...............I would contact Michagan School for the Deaf as well as a lot of the regional programs for the Deaf.............Maybe they could support you guys.
TODs are VERY important. We can't be lumped in with general special ed.
It's possible they are falling for the "oh ASL isn't needed anymore" rhetoric.
Point out that TODs are extremely valuable and worth their weight in gold....also point out that it would help poorer kids. Most of the oral/CI sucesses are relatively wealthy. (and before faire jour jumps on me for bashing wealthy people, its a fact that richer folks can afford to move their kids, and pay tutition and afford all sorts fo enrichments that poorer folks can't)

As Glenn said, what we have been told the reason for the cut is financial. But there are still a lot of questions to be answered because while they are cutting the ASL program which typically has very good enrollment, they are keeping other programs will lower class sizes.

In terms of Deaf Ed programs in MI, EMU will have the only one left and they are a strictly oral program. Madonna U. only offers a Deaf Studies degree and LCC an interpreting program. We are really hoping that the rally on the 4th makes a difference, and are quite lucky that on the next day, Dec 5th, the ASL Expo will be in Lansing. If you find yourself in the area please feel free to stop by!

You mean its the only program they cut down?

If that is true... anyone have an idea of other reasons for that? The budget excuse is obviously weak.

I have no idea but it does seem like HDMI, internet, movies, and now this are all mistreating deaf on purpose.

I wonder if it is because people from my generation were raised in Oral mainstreaming so they have a different view of deaf people today and are treating them horrible over it.

Dr. Pagliaro and Dr. Johnson are the heads of the Deaf Ed program here, I have Dr. Pagliaro for two classes right now. The university has cut other programs (Natural Science, Geography, and Communication Sciences and Disorders as well as a few others I think) so we are by no means a unique situation in terms of being cut. What makes this different to us is that there is no where else for teachers to get trained in MI using not only a manual method, but ASL... but the other programs being cut are offered at other schools around MI (CMU for instance has a very strong Speech and Audiology program).

In terms of contacting schools and MSD specifically, we have done that already and they are showing their support. So hopefully this will continue and we can at least postpone if not reverse the university's decision to do away with these two programs.

Just a reminder that the rally to protest the closing of the program is this Friday! It sounds like we're going to have a good turnout so if you're in the area feel free to stop by and show your support!

MSU community gathers in protest
By Heather Guenther
(Last updated: 9 hours ago)

Students and faculty in the MSU Deaf Education Program, as well as members of the deaf community, will gather outside the Administration Building at 10 a.m. today in protest to a recommended moratorium on the program’s admission of students.

The recommendation, along with a proposal to discontinue all American Sign Language classes, will be sent to Academic Governance for input, according to a message sent to students enrolled in ASL courses or the teaching program obtained by The State News.

According to the messages sent by Susan Dalebout, the College of Education’s academic student affairs director and certification officer, students currently enrolled in the program and those who are admitted in the spring will be allowed to complete their program and be recommended for certification if finished by summer 2013.

Students who submitted an application this fall will be considered for admission, but would need to take part in an accelerated program to complete a modified course in order to meet all certification requirements, according to the
messages.

The State News : MSU community gathers in protest

Back