Metro Will Resume Rail Service At 5 A.m. Thursday

Would you rather they risk another deadly fire? Yes, I'm sure it was a mess in DC today, but this was done for safety reasons.

Would you rather they risk another deadly fire? Yes, I'm sure it was a mess in DC today, but this was done for safety reasons.

I'm not saying about related with fire, but I'm saying that overall quality of DC subways are terrible.

Copied from my FB.
Seriously... DC subways SUCKS in big time.

The elevators and escalators always out of service. I had to deal with a lot of rude people on subways, even more than rude drivers on Alabama road.

DC subways need a lot of renovation so that why I'm sticking with driving and hopefully that genetic testing isn't turn into progressive disease like Usher Syndrome or RP.

I'm not saying about related with fire, but I'm saying that overall quality of DC subways are terrible.

Copied from my FB.
I agreed, it was much worse than when it was brand new... Poor maintenance, if properly and timely maintenance, it would be in much better shape.

I agreed, it was much worse than when it was brand new... Poor maintenance, if properly and timely maintenance, it would be in much better shape.

Yes, that is one of reason that I left DC last year and traffic congestion was bad enough for me - I stuck in traffic on I-66 and I-95 for over 2-3 hours.

No wonder about DC metro are oversaturated with job market.

I've heard about how bad it's been. The people I "talk" to have said that this closure gives them hope the new head of the metro will turn things around.

SF BART (subway) sustem is almost 45 years old and some of the original trains and system from 1972 as well as the entire system is still in service. BART has been plaqued with problems recently with power surges that damaged the propulsion systems. BART is in process of retiring old train cars when the new fleet of train cars expect to be deliver starting next year.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Mystery-glitch-s-return-knocks-out-BART-cars-6894837.php

Fleet of the future: http://www.bart.gov/about/projects/cars

Last edited:
Philadelphia SEPTA is probably the same way. Sad that the trains schedule were cut down (I know that from the last time I visited the town I lived in for 8 years in the early to mid 90s). They had a mix of newer and very old buses too. It's because public transportation is not funded by the city, state or federal government as well as it should be.

Which sucks donkey balls for those who would rather travel by public transportation.

makes me wonder how reliable the L train in Chicago and the NYC subway is so far?

Also Seattle has a 54 year old monorail line still running with original 2 train sets but they have been rebuilt few years ago when it has plagued with problems. Haven't heard any issues so far that I know of.

A D-B friend I know in Seattle says they're building up the public transportation there- I think they just finished a new station (or renovated...). She says it's a pretty good system and yes improved trains as well.

Oh cool. I was in Seattle and met her one day back in...2011- they were still working on one station as they had um... barrier walls to hide the constructions-- no idea what they're called lol. I didn't go into Seattle the second time I was in WA in 2012.

Oh cool. I was in Seattle and met her one day back in...2011- they were still working on one station as they had um... barrier walls to hide the constructions-- no idea what they're called lol. I didn't go into Seattle the second time I was in WA in 2012.

You might be talking about Capitol Hill station. Sound transit is going to open light rail extension to university of Washington from Westlake with 2 additional stations on March 19th, which is tomorrow! It's all underground like a subway. It is a huge deal for the commuters from u of w and the nearby areas. It's predicted to have around 25,000 passengers average per day by 2020 for only 2 extra stations. Currently it gets about 30,000 to 40,000 per day during the weekdays for the line from airport to downtown. Summer is higher and winter is less.

Yep it was the Capitol Hill station now that you mention it. Couldn't quite remember last night (brain fog). It's one reason I would love to move to Seattle or areas near there... good transportation system... and I love it in Washington too (despite my friend telling me it does get expensive housing/apartment wise... :( ).

Yep it was the Capitol Hill station now that you mention it. Couldn't quite remember last night (brain fog). It's one reason I would love to move to Seattle or areas near there... good transportation system... and I love it in Washington too (despite my friend telling me it does get expensive housing/apartment wise... :( ).

Out in suburbs is not too bad. In Seattle is pretty expensive but not as expensive as San Francisco which many high tech workers from California are moving to Seattle area. They could purchase a good sized house for $500,000 instead of over a million and get a shorter commute.

I lived in Seattle area from 2000 to 2010. Link light rail opened on July 2009. Light rail to Bellevue is due to break ground this year and should open in 2023. Extensions to Lynnwood and Federal Way hasn't started construction yet but the extension to Northgate which is north of university of Washington line is due to open in 2021 currently under construction.

Last edited:
Wow. I think it depends. I know on the other side of Seattle-- Poulsbo, Silverdale the rent is a tad on the expensive side (mostly because it's by the water I think). It's a bit less down in Tacoma and Olympia from what I remember one of my hearing friends telling me (who also lives in Poulsbo).

I still want to move there... if i can find anything job wise! :)

Wow. I think it depends. I know on the other side of Seattle-- Poulsbo, Silverdale the rent is a tad on the expensive side (mostly because it's by the water I think). It's a bit less down in Tacoma and Olympia from what I remember one of my hearing friends telling me (who also lives in Poulsbo).

I still want to move there... if i can find anything job wise! :)

You can find jobs mostly better luck in East part of the Puget sound, probably not so much in Bremerton and other areas on west side of Puget Sound. Housing there is much cheaper. It's quieter and not too urban.

Many people live in Bainbridge island/Bremerton area and commute to Seattle for work via the ferry.

Sadly, America is pretty behind with public transportation but some states fund the public transportation very well.

The wingnuts said constitution doesn't say about fund the public transportation so they said government shouldn't fund at all, including Amtrak so they said private companies could take care of it.

But... a lot of public transportation under private companies went out of business in between 1950s and 1970s.

The wingnuts will change their mind if congestion is extremely worst or toll rate is very expensive.

You can find jobs mostly better luck in East part of the Puget sound, probably not so much in Bremerton and other areas on west side of Puget Sound. Housing there is much cheaper. It's quieter and not too urban.

Many people live in Bainbridge island/Bremerton area and commute to Seattle for work via the ferry.

Yep my friend has lived in Bremerton as well. I've not visited there- but have in Port Orchard- PO is not the greatest place it was years ago from what I hear. Her hubby takes the ferry to get to his job at the Navy Yard (ferry prices are nuts though). IT jobs I know are all around Seattle/Kirkland/Bellevue etc... but mostly web based, apps and all the newer stuff-- hardly any mainframe jobs out there- so have to look on the east coast-- at least til I retire (and if I can even live on that if I ever retire lol).

It's still a dream. Slightly more attainable than San Francisco- I wanted to move there over 20 years ago- even then it was expensive and with the recent 'gentrification' and the pushing out of so many long time residents including the Latin@ community, I wouldn't move there now...

Back