Methotrexate anyone?

sallylou

Potterhead and Janeite
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going crazy! Does anyone have experience with methotrexate treatment? If you're willing to talk about it, please PM me. I'm having limited success and I'm trying to decide what to do next. :ty:

I am sorry, but no I don't have any experience with this drug.

Fuzzy

That's usually for cancers.. I would ask your doctor what to do next if it isn't working ..drugs work differently for different people

It is sometimes used in low doses to treat psoriasis, arthritis, lupus, ms, and other diseases. It can be nasty, but some tolerate it ok. Maybe Doug will answer?n the meantime please be wary of side effects and report anything to your dr ASAP.

Hoping the best for you!

I know what its uses are but that drug is very common in cancers... it is a very hard drug on your body one of my patients was on this for breast cancer.

Yes, it is (or was) used for cancer primarily. Those doses are usually much higher. I think they began using this drug in the 50's for "solid" type cancers. At those doses it can be very hard on a body and it is a very serious drug.

That is why I urged Sallylou to be wary of side effects and to call her dr. should she notice anything awry.

It is also used for various other problems in doses that are quite lower than those doses prescribed for cancer. It can be a very effective treatment if properly managed and if the patient can tolerate it. I remember this from my own days working at the hospital and Dr office before I was diagnosed with Lupus (now it is MCTD). Methotrexate was one of the many treatments we discussed to control the disease. We did decide upon Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) and NSAIDS along with other treatments. I was taking about 11 prescriptions per day. Also, my best friend at the time was taking methotrexate for her ms. It did work ok for her and she did tolerate it well.

I hope that your patient is ok now and she is lucky to have such a caring person with her.

I am sorry not to able to help you that i have never heard of it. I did read it in google. is it helping to reduce the skin effect? :hug:

Back