Metabolism

Weshoulddo

Reaction score
Can you suggest some food that can help boost my metabolism? Thank you.

Food isn’t directly involved. Work on your endurance and intensity, it’s all about keeping that furnace active at rest. Just no junk food!

1. Eat Plenty of Protein at Every Meal
2. Drink More Cold Water
3. Do a High-Intensity Workout
4. Lift Heavy Things
5. Stand up More
6. Drink Green Tea or Oolong Tea
7. Eat Spicy Foods
8. Get a Good Night's Sleep
9. Drink Coffee
10. Replace Cooking Fats with Coconut Oil

Details in the link: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-ways-to-boost-metabolism

What Calvin said. That was great! Thanks, @Calvin!

Also, @Weshoulddo, if you're trying to lose weight, managing insulinemic response is really helpful too. A lot of people I know swear by Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (a few tablespoons?) to blunt insulinemic response during days when they try to burn fat.

And lastly, I think one of the most epic pieces of advice I've been given is don't mix carbs with fat in a meal. Mix protein with carbs or protein with fat, but mixing carbs and fat is a big part of the reason why we have an obesity epidemic. Candy bars are a huge example: they're tons of carbs and fat mixed into a tiny bar.

Last edited:
True, so is being out of shape.

You may be out of shape because of a sluggish metabolism. I didn't start to lose weight until I started taking a herbal thyroid supplement to go with the thyroid tablets I take.

Of course exercise and a careful diet also helps.

You may be out of shape because of a sluggish metabolism. I didn't start to lose weight until I started taking a herbal thyroid supplement to go with the thyroid tablets I take.

Nod, agreed. I have a friend who has a thyroid issue and her weight is a challenge. She tries hard and I respect her a lot for it.

Also what "careful diet" means is not always clear. I know what it means to me because I've spent years experimenting on my body and know exactly how my body reacts to different foods and macronutrient combinations. But I honestly believe just eating "well" should be a lot easier than it is, unfortunately. A lot of that may have to do with an old fitness industry maxim: "complicate to profit."

That’s not all. What level of metabolism do you want your body to exert? A body assumed to be balanced with its necessary hormones and nutrients will not correct the weight probkem on its own. You’ve got other factors to control, i.e. type of food consumed, how active you are, lean/fat ratio, etc. Most peopke have the genetics to be any body condition, it comes down to how well you control these factors. And medical condutions? There’s more careful work involved.

Some people with thyroid problems have very obvious symptoms, while others do not. There is such a range of possible symptoms that many other ailments may be tested for first before levels of thyroid hormone are checked. Some of the other symptoms people with hypothyroidism might include:

• Weight gain
  • Anemia
  • Muscle cramps and joint pain
  • Fatigue
  • Depression
  • Migraines
  • Impaired memory
  • Increased sensitivity to heat and cold
  • Paleness
  • Brittle fingernails
A blood test can determine if someone has a thyroid problem, and there are several different treatments that should make this cause of low metabolism relatively easy to tackle.

Other Causes of Low Metabolism
Of course not everyone who has a low metabolism has a thyroid problem. The fact is, most people's metabolisms decrease as they age There are all sorts of reasons for this, some of which are beyond our control. But there are some things you may do that can be the cause of low metabolism, so changing your behavior may change the way you feel.

Diet
One of the biggest factors in metabolism is actually what we eat. If you're fasting or on a very low-calorie diet, odds are you have slowed down your metabolism to the point that you still aren't losing a lot of weight even though you're miserable from not eating.

The body needs nutrients and calories in order to work properly, and a lot of research seems to indicate that eating more often is better than eating only a couple of meals a day. That's because it takes energy (calories) to digest and process food, and it keeps blood sugar levels more even when you eat regularly, which also keeps you feeling full.

Not only does how often you eat make a difference, what you eat can have an impact. Lots of high-sugar foods can mess with your metabolism because of the fluctuation of blood sugar. There are also foods that increase metabolism that should be consumed more often.

Water
Drinking enough water is important for a lot of reasons, but not being properly hydrated can really slow your metabolism. Most of the body's functions, including digestion and metabolism, require water. If you're not getting enough, your body can't function at its peak.

Foods that can help you boost your metabolism

Blueberries
Almonds
Salmon
Spinach
Avocado

6. Dairy products
If you’re not intolerant of dairy products, then you’ll be glad to know that by eating cheese and milk, you can greatly improve your health and your metabolism. Per cup of milk, you’ll get around 10g of protein. The best option, however, is a low-fat dairy product. Avoid high-fat dairy and you’ll boost your metabolism without consuming too much fat every day.
Asparagus
Oatmeal
Green tea
Red Beans
Garlic
Broccoli
Whole Grains
Whey protein
Legumes
Greek Yogurt

Last edited:
I'm vegan so I don't eat any dairy products or salmon but I eat a lot of the other food on the list. And lots of water too.

I was born with an underactive thyroid so I've been taking tablets for underactive thyroid since I was 8 months old. I still get regular blood tests to see how I am doing. I also take a herbal Thyroid supplement which Has definitely helped my metabolism.

Back