Merced woman who stabbed her husband to death goes free

rockin'robin

Reaction score
MERCED, Calif. (KFSN) -- The woman who stabbed her husband to death in Merced last summer is getting out of jail Thursday night. A judge sentenced Courtney Ross to three years of probation and gave her credit for time served.

Courtney Ross gave a small smile as she waited to learn her sentence. The 32-year -old is hearing impaired so a sign language interpreter communicated for her. Courtney watched as a victim's advocate read letters from family and friends of the man she killed, her husband, Johnathan.

"John was a very loving and caring person. He loved life and treated people with respect."

But the defense attorney paints a very different picture of Johnathan, who was also hearing impaired. He says the father of two had a history of abusing his wife, including a conviction for domestic violence in 2008. Courtney claims she was in the couple's bathroom at the Tioga Hotel in Downtown Merced last July when Johnathan walked in with a knife. She says they fought, and then she stabbed her husband to protect herself.

"John was a very loving and caring person. He loved life and treated people with respect."

But the defense attorney paints a very different picture of Johnathan, who was also hearing impaired. He says the father of two had a history of abusing his wife, including a conviction for domestic violence in 2008. Courtney claims she was in the couple's bathroom at the Tioga Hotel in Downtown Merced last July when Johnathan walked in with a knife. She says they fought, and then she stabbed her husband to protect herself.

Defense attorney, John Garcia said, "The statements immediately at the scene all support that, bruises to the sides of her neck, on her arm, fresh bruises and marks were evident, photos were taken, the police, everyone was aware of this."

Johnathan's supporters claim Courtney was also abusive and argue she killed him out of jealousy because of his relationship with another woman. They wanted her to serve time in prison.

"When you lose a family member, it's always a tragedy for those who have lost someone," Nicole Silveira said. "I had discussions with them and explained the difficulties in this case."

The judge ultimately sentenced Courtney to probation, stating she has no criminal history and that she acted out of fear.

Garcia said, "Courtney just told me she's overjoyed with this, and she's looking forward to meeting with her family, her mother and her children."

Courtney Ross must get domestic violence counseling as part of her sentence. The judge also said he hopes other victims of abuse will have the courage to get help before it becomes a matter of life and death.

Merced woman who stabbed her husband to death goes free | abc30.com

Deaf woman gets probation in husband's stabbing death at Hotel Tioga

By VICTOR A. PATTON - vpatton@mercedsun-star.com
A 32-year-old woman who stabbed her husband to death at the Hotel Tioga last year was released from jail Thursday, after a judge determined the abuse she had suffered in her relationship played a major role in the killing.

Judge Ronald Hansen sentenced Courtney Ross to a year in jail and three years' probation for killing Jonathan Ross, 25, after an argument July 11. Because of her jail credits and time served, Ross was freed Thursday night.

Ross pleaded no contest to an involuntary manslaughter charge in February and was facing a maximum of four years in prison.

The sentencing was translated by two sign language interpreters, because the defendant and family members on both sides of the aisle are hearing impaired. The victim also was hearing impaired.
Hansen gave a comprehensive explanation before handing down the sentence, saying the killing was likely committed "under circumstances of great provocation and duress" by the defendant after periods of violent physical abuse at the hands of her husband.

The night of the killing, the defendant had been inside a bathroom at the residence, Hansen said. Her husband, who had been drinking throughout the day, went into the bathroom uninvited. An argument and fight began, with the husband and wife pulling each others' hair.

There was evidence that Jonathan Ross was the person who took the knife into the bathroom, according to Hansen. The judge also mentioned Jonathan Ross' arrest record for domestic violence; his wife had no criminal background.

"In her mind, she knew he was going to hit her," Hansen said. "The question arises, 'Why did she know he was going to hit her?' The extensive records that have been produced shed some light on that question."
Hansen highlighted the advantages of sentencing the defendant to probation, as opposed to jail, saying she would have better access to mental health and domestic violence services.

"I think probation is the best way to go in this case," Hansen said. "It provides a longer period of supervision."

'Very unusual' case

Officers responded to the 1715 N St. building about 1:20 a.m. after someone called the police. The victim was found with three stab wounds to the upper torso and pronounced dead at the scene.

Early in the case, Merced police learned that Jonathan Ross was arrested four years ago in Wilmington, N.C., for assaulting his wife and their oldest daughter. He served a few months in jail for that crime.
Attorney Nicole Silveira, the prosecutor in the case, had previously said she wasn't going to argue for a specific sentence in the case, citing the mitigating factors.

"This was a very unusual and difficult case," Silveira said. "Judge Hansen spent a considerable amount of time weighing all the evidence and going through all the varying factors. We feel confident that he made the appropriate decision in this case."

John Garcia, Ross' attorney, was pleased with Hansen's decision. "The judge, I think, made the right call. And Courtney told me she's overjoyed with this," Garcia said. "I thought we had a good chance for probation right from the start. And our hunch was correct."

Before Hansen announced the sentencing, Melinda Shrock, a psychologist who has interviewed more than 5,000 domestic violence victims, testified for the defense.

Shrock determined Courtney Ross was a victim of domestic violence, based on her examination. Shrock said the physical abuse included punching, kicking, chocking and being locked in a room.

Some of Jonathan Ross' family members and friends wrote letters to Hansen, saying the defendant herself had been abusive and manipulative toward her husband.

One woman, named Lisa Watkins, wrote that at one point she and Jonathan Ross planned to marry. Watkins called Courtney Ross a manipulative, abusive person. "The difference was Jon's past was on record and Courtney's was not," Watkins wrote.

Namiko Monk, another friend of Jonathan Ross, wrote that the defendant should spend more time in jail. "She is playing the victim because of her past," Monk wrote. "You do the crime, you do the time."
Kelly Ross, Jonathan Ross' mother, said the defendant ruined her life. "Please give us the good feeling that his life was worth something," she wrote.

Garcia said his client plans to move back to North Carolina.

City Editor Victor A. Patton can be reached at (209) 385-2431 orvpatton@mercedsunstar.com.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

If I remember correctly, there was some Aders that knew these people. Sad story all around.

Wirelessly posted

If I remember correctly, there was some Aders that knew these people. Sad story all around.

*Raising my hand*...I didn't know them personally, but one of my very good friends (NCSD classmate) knew them, as they stayed with her a few weeks, and lived in the same city (Wilmington, N.C.)., and the same city that I am from...Courtney suffered a lot of domestic abuse, but she was a "fighter", who fought back...and Jonathon was very well-liked by those who casually knew him....Courtney has gone back to Wilmington, N.C. to be with her family, and her parents have taken over her children.

Just hoping she can get some excellent counselling!...Very sad indeed!

What I don't understand is why she didn't divorce her abusive husband before that happened. Millions of women including OJ's ex-wife divorced their abusive husbands to avoid more problems.

What I don't understand is why she didn't divorce her abusive husband before that happened. Millions of women including OJ's ex-wife divorced their abusive husbands to avoid more problems.

Good question, but no easy answer....they had kids together, and my guess was that she loved him very much. They were struggling...havng to move in with friends, having roommates, etc. Perhaps trying to keep the kids together, since both had no jobs.

Back