Memorial Day

I'm sorry for the loss to your family.

Was he wounded during the attack on Pearl Harbor and then die from the wounds later? His grave shows that he died Sep. 12, 1943.

No, he was killed during the reconstruction of the base. He enlisted after the attack and requested to serve at Pearl Harbor.

He was in a munitions facility that exploded, he was killed with several others that were inside.

No, he was killed during the reconstruction of the base. He enlisted after the attack and requested to serve at Pearl Harbor.

He was in a munitions facility that exploded, he was killed with several others that were inside.
Oh, my, that's terrible. Munitions work is very hazardous.

Thank you Reba and anyone else here for serving our country!

Oh, my, that's terrible. Munitions work is very hazardous.

I didn't really think about this until today .... I wonder if I can find the others that were killed with him by searching for the date they died? My grandmother told me that he had volunteered to stay on base while his men left for the weekend. This is an emotional time for her, every year - she really loved and adored her brother. She has, over the years, expressed anger at this loss - how he was always the "good guy" right up to the end - even volunteering to work when it wasn't required. I don't think she has ever had any real closure.

I do know there were quite a number of accidents at Pearl Harbor during the reconstruction of the base. I have heard that we were completely unprepared for the war, and the rush to prepare our country caused a number of accidents.

Is there any way you can help your grandmother have closure ? I had a stone made for my mom's sister b/c her sister wasn't buried with most of the family and mom
was upset about . So my sisters and I brought a stone and had it engraved with mom's sister name DOB and DOD and laid in front of their parents headstone . Mom felt better know her beloved sister's name was going to be there when she buried , it gave mom some closure.

Back