Meet harpo my guide dog!

Yeah shopping and food shopping going to the kids schools even want to start a granola business.. soon as get stronger yes absolutely..

Good looking dog. I love Labs. I used to have two (a mother and son). Smart dogs. :)

Good looking dog. I love Labs. I used to have two (a mother and son). Smart dogs. :)
He is so smart sometimes I think he is smarter then me lol .. he has me listening to him when we work together..

Love labs ! He's gorgeous and smart too. He will assist you with every day life .

Cute dog! I am glad you feel better about going out to places.

What a beautiful dog ! Labs are great dogs ! Are you going put a patch on your vest saying "Pleases Don't Pat Dog" ?

Luverly! Labs are friendly and smart :)
I am glad now you have your freedom back. How are your kids reacting to the dog? do they spoil him silly?

Fuzzy

:) <smiley face> Happy news, great dog! One of my first dogs some years back was a dear mellow soul of a Black Lab....

Awww black lab. He's adorable! One of my deaf-blind friends back in college had guide dogs. Her first was a yellow lab- after she retired, the next one was a black lab. I think the third one was also a black lab but never met the last one. Knew of one other deaf-blind woman at Gallaudet who had a black lab also.

Awww black lab. He's adorable! One of my deaf-blind friends back in college had guide dogs. Her first was a yellow lab- after she retired, the next one was a black lab. I think the third one was also a black lab but never met the last one. Knew of one other deaf-blind woman at Gallaudet who had a black lab also.
Wow so got to see how they work nice he also is like my best friend..

I got my wife a Black Lab puppy and gave it to her at our baby shower, Labs are very smart and gentle with kids, also get along with other animals.
I know service animals aren't allowed to be with other animals and not for family pets, But the Labs are a great breed and well rounded for the work cut out for them. You will love the gentle giant ! Beautiful dog you have.

Does he also pick up small items that you might drop ?

Guide dogs for the blind generally are not taught or trained to do that so... no. I don't recall Ripple or Darla doing that at all (and I was around both a lot).

I got my wife a Black Lab puppy and gave it to her at our baby shower, Labs are very smart and gentle with kids, also get along with other animals.
I know service animals aren't allowed to be with other animals and not for family pets, But the Labs are a great breed and well rounded for the work cut out for them. You will love the gentle giant ! Beautiful dog you have.

I think you are right that Service animals aren't to be around other animals or 'double' as a pet... I do know that once retired they can revert to being pets. Ripple (the yellow lab guide dog) was retired and went to live with a friend of the owner. Interestingly I know someone who had an American Eskimo as a pet but trained her as a hearing ear dog (she claimed to have done so...I'm not sure how much I believe it- never saw any visible evidence the dog acted as one...).

Labs are definitely smart... but Ripple was stubborn...she liked doing things her way on her "off duty" time (there's a story in there lol).

My guide dog harpo will if I drop something his head down.. to kinda show me but not always nope if im lucky yeah .but he will not pick anything up ..

Back