Meat eater VS vegetarian/vegan

I have absolutely no problem being an omnivore. I know this is controversial, but I believe that humans were meant to be both meat and vegetable eaters.

I also cannot eliminate meat from my diet for health reasons. I have a genetic predisposition to Vitamin B deficiencies. Therefore, it is necessary for me to eat meat. I also have had issues with eating disorders in the past, and therefore, can't exclude meat for that reason, too.

As for ethics, as I said, I have no problem eating meat. People say "Well, if only you knew...." blah blah blah.

If I knew how these animals were slaughtered, it still wouldn't matter. I HAVE to consume meat to remain healthy both physically and emotionally.

I know this is an unpopular viewpoint, but that's how it is and I make no apologies for it.

Btw, Dixie, I admire you for what you do! :)

I have absolutely no problem being an omnivore. I know this is controversial, but I believe that humans were meant to be both meat and vegetable eaters.

I also cannot eliminate meat from my diet for health reasons. I have a genetic predisposition to Vitamin B deficiencies. Therefore, it is necessary for me to eat meat. I also have had issues with eating disorders in the past, and therefore, can't exclude meat for that reason, too.

As for ethics, as I said, I have no problem eating meat. People say "Well, if only you knew...." blah blah blah.

If I knew how these animals were slaughtered, it still wouldn't matter. I HAVE to consume meat to remain healthy both physically and emotionally.

I know this is an unpopular viewpoint, but that's how it is and I make no apologies for it.

I've heard this before, that people HAD to eat meat because of Vitamin B deficiencies (which is why many vegetarians and vegans take B12). Not going to argue about eating meat with you at all, just curious about something - B12 supplements don't work for you?

p.s. you might find this interesting reading: Are humans meant to eat meat?

I've heard this before, that people HAD to eat meat because of Vitamin B deficiencies (which is why many vegetarians and vegans take B12). Not going to argue about eating meat with you at all, just curious about something - B12 supplements don't work for you?

It's not just b12. My body doesn't metabolize folate well, either. My Mother has the same issue ( I was born with spina bifida as a result). Therefore, it's assumed that I'm not able to metabolize many of the B vitamins. Therefore, I take a good B complex vitamin and eat a good well rounded diet that includes meat.

There's some interesting research coming out lately saying liqids is good for the development of brain.

Problem is-- where do you get lipids?

Same here. While I am not prone to Vitamin B deficiencies, I do eat meat and I have always preferred lean cuts of meats for the following reasons: it's not as likely to trigger heartburn or to upset my disgestive system. This problem isn't limited to animal meats; I have had severe heartburn after eating tons of bread dipped in olive oil and an upset stomach after eating too many Triscuit crackers.

Though I have lacoste intolerance, I find that I can eat yogurt or cheese with no ill effects.

I'm also aware of the animal husbandry practice and while I find it deplorable, it hasn't kept me from eating meat.

That said, I don't eat a great deal of meat due to heath reasons: high cholestrol and diabetes. I guess some would call me Flexitarian.

Same here. My dream home is a self-sustainable farm complete with a fish pond. In Poland, there was this really cool restaurant that had a very big man made pond filled with fish. You go in, pick the fish you want and they would send someone out to fish it from the pond and it would be on your plate 10 minutes later. That's the kind of pond I want on my land!

My mouth is watering. Talk about fresh!

"don't eat meat. don't buy pets."

Maybe some vegetarian or vegan groups say that, but that's a minority. The important thing is proportions. A carnivore cannot simply stop eating meat, but he or she sure can eat less and be more careful with where the meat comes from. If everybody did that, the impact would be huge animal-wise and environmentaly-wise.

Not enough numbers and intellectual arguments? Maybe you should reconsider the way you do research. For exemple, look at Meatless Monday:
Meat Eaters Guided to Meatless Monday

Lipids is also known as fatty acids. There are two kinds, good and bad. Good fatty acids also known as essential fatty acids would be in food like:

Salmon, Herring and Mackerel
Walnuts and Almonds
Dark Green Leafy Vegetables
Olive Oil, Hemp Oil and Flaxseed Oil (or just plain flaxseed)
Whole Grain Foods
Lean Meats and Eggs

I am an omnivore

I have pet chickens and ducks- they lay (or will lay starting next spring) fertile eggs...

So anybody wanna hatch?

It is not legal to butcher inside the city, they're (not there) are pets anyway.

Last edited:
What do you mean?

Within the city limits no one can slaughter an animal, just pointing out these are not meat birds... they are layers and lawn decorations.

And I misused "they're" ... sorry

Last edited:
Meat eater have high iron than vegatarian/vegan without magic bottom.

Proud to be vegan! I've only recently made that switch, though I've been a vegetarian since the age of 6. I'm now 25. I can tell anyone who says that vegetarians have health problems... it's never harmed me at all! :D

hmm. lets picture this scenario. its in the middle of winter. you had a bad summer of collecting and storing your crop. ground is frozen. out of food. need food. you see a brown bunny hopping along on the snow. or a deer. no trees for miles for eating bark or making tea from pine needles. now what?
come spring.you survived. are you still a vegetarian? or just a mix? is eating wildlife a cruelty? Mother nature provided us a way for having a circle of life for thousands of years.

On the other hand, many people becomes vegetarians in a protest in animal cruelty because they are trying to feed the world without depleting the wildlife animals.

Why not have your own farm? raise animals the way you want?

Not everyone can afford to own a farm. Farmers are having difficult time with the drought or early frost etc. I live in USA and for awhile I was buying lettuces from Canada as farmers in USA lost their crops from a bad storm.

Back