Maybe the end of CIs and HA for many deaf

Prediction....the only population that will benifit is the late deafened population....That's AWESOME and good as its the overwhelming majority of hearing loss cases.....but it's going to be a lot harder to come up with a cure/treatment for born/early dhh.....they've never heard normally (ie without CI/HA) so their brains probaly will not be able to process sound the way a hearing person does.

Gotta agree with deafdyke. Even if a person did get this done who was born deaf, they would still have a hard time..maybe a tiny bit of progress but... would take an awful lot of work..

I saw an interesting video that brought up that hypothetical question...it was not based on anything real but it was quite interesting. Trying to remember where I found it.

I have read many places where very early CI is said to work the best for born/very early deafened. Wouldn't this be the case with this treatment as well? Get in that age group where language is most easily acquired.

This is interesting. I'm going to look further into it.

deafdyke, I don't understand your logic. Why would it only be beneficial for late deafened people? If the hair cells are in tact, a person can hear. That fact does not discriminate between degrees of deafness or the onset of deafness.

Also, many people are born without full hearing(deaf), like myself, and become profoundly deaf later in life. These people are not late deafened and I see no reason why there would be any difference in the treatment.

Are you saying that if a deaf person regains hearing they will still not be able to hear?

deafdyke, I don't understand your logic. Why would it only be beneficial for late deafened people? If the hair cells are in tact, a person can hear. That fact does not discriminate between degrees of deafness or the onset of deafness.

There is another article about the same U of Kansas school about this program. I read it on Facebook. The article comes from PBS: Public Broadcasting Service. I'm sorry, I can't figure out how to get the link here on my iPad. That article says the reason it is beneficial for late-deafened and not those with congenital deafness is because the ears of those with congenital deafness will not support the structure needed to grow new hair cells.

There is another article about the same U of Kansas school about this program. I read it on Facebook. The article comes from PBS: Public Broadcasting Service. I'm sorry, I can't figure out how to get the link here on my iPad. That article says the reason it is beneficial for late-deafened and not those with congenital deafness is because the ears of those with congenital deafness will not support the structure needed to grow new hair cells.

Not sure which of these AlleyCat was trying to post or if it was yet another one. For me it took a Google search rather than a search right on the PBS site.

This is what I came up with first: A Virus Could Restore Natural Hearing in Deaf People — NOVA Next | PBS

And then clicking on the title of the article in the above link I got the following:

Deaf people get gene tweak to restore natural hearing - 23 April 2014 - New Scientist

Then it would not be used for that application, if that is what deafdyke was referring. It would only be used for sensorineural loss, correct?

Hmm it is interesting. I'm late deafened so I already have my audio pathways laid but I still don't know if this would for me. I most likely have more to my cochlea than just to my hair cells. But let's say it did work, I'd need to get a stapedectomy as well because I have conductive loss. My hearing is screwed up on both ends, sending and receiving the signal.

What I'm saying is that with late deafened people, their brains know how to process sound like a hearing person's.....So it's just a matter of regrowing the hair cells on the coachlea........With born/early dhh kids they've never heard as a hearing person...they've just heard through HAs or CIs. Ever hear of cortexal blindness? This is a condition where the eyes are fine but the brain can't process what it sees...it would be the same with dhh...therefore there'd be a processing issue.....It's exactly like that Oliver Sacks case study where the blind guy got surgery to become sighted...he COULD see but it wasn't what sighted people think of as seeing.......I predict for early dhh kids and actually for other kids with disabilites, a cure is going to be a LOT more complicated......

What I'm saying is that with late deafened people, their brains know how to process sound like a hearing person's.....So it's just a matter of regrowing the hair cells on the coachlea........With born/early dhh kids they've never heard as a hearing person...they've just heard through HAs or CIs. Ever hear of cortexal blindness? This is a condition where the eyes are fine but the brain can't process what it sees...it would be the same with dhh...therefore there'd be a processing issue.....It's exactly like that Oliver Sacks case study where the blind guy got surgery to become sighted...he COULD see but it wasn't what sighted people think of as seeing.......I predict for early dhh kids and actually for other kids with disabilites, a cure is going to be a LOT more complicated......

deafdyke
I am so fed up with your obsession with results that get to "hearing like a hearing person". Why cares if it is or not if it results in comprehension especially of speech? Even among the hearing things sound different from person to person. No one knows just what something sounds like to the person next to them.

Last edited:

I agree. My family was pushing me hard for a CI until I finally sat them down and explained to them my reasons for refusing it. I think they believe me. ;)

A cure for existing prelingually deafened kids will be a lot more complicated to impossible. A child receiving early intervention to allow normal development of the neural pathways and hearing nerve will be no different from their hearing peers and be hearing.

Incorrect. The hair cells are only one part of the equation. This is one major factor in the variation of results with implants. The longer a profoundly deaf child is deprived of hearing, the worse the outcome. The neural pathways are being developed during the early years and will not develop if they are not getting adequate input (meaning the fullest range of frequencies as limping along with a hearing aid is not equal.)

Degrees of deafness and onset of deafness is very much a factor in restoration of hearing.

I see your point, it is a possibility.

Incorrect. The hair cells are only one part of the equation. This is one major factor in the variation of results with implants. The longer a profoundly deaf child is deprived of hearing, the worse the outcome. The neural pathways are being developed during the early years and will not develop if they are not getting adequate input (meaning the fullest range of frequencies as limping along with a hearing aid is not equal.)

Degrees of deafness and onset of deafness is very much a factor in restoration of hearing.

Are you talking about electrical stimulation of a neural pathway compared to a natural functioning of the same pathway? This is not an electrical issue.

The question is, absent Agnosia, if you bring back the natural hair cells, does the neural pathway recover or continue to function normally?

Are you talking about electrical stimulation of a neural pathway compared to a natural functioning of the same pathway? This is not an electrical issue.

The question is, absent Agnosia, if you bring back the natural hair cells, does the neural pathway recover or continue to function normally?

No, I am not. Keep in mind that the goal with an implant is to replace the electrical signals that would normally be delivered via hair cells. Electrical signals are a normal function in the delivery of hearing.

Your answer to whether neural pathways regenerate with hair cell restoration already exists with what your see with cochlear implant recipients. This is why late-deafened and babies implanted very early do best. They either already have the pathways or they develop them when they are normally formed. Those who get implants or hair cell regeneration without fully formed pathways can still benefit but will not magically develop normal pathways. Speech that was never understood before isn't going to be understood after hair cell regeneration.

Last edited:
Autoimmune & Heritary

What about those with autoimmune and hereditary hearing loss?

OK,so you think that a woman using a particular prosetheitc body part in a romantic sitution experiances the same as a man? Yes, its a graphic example.....but it's pretty much the same idea.
Jane, you're late deafened...........it's a FACT that dhh children can comprehend "artifical" hearing....it sounds different from hearing person hearing It's fake...it's 2 dimensional....it's not what hearing people think of as hearing...it's a sense of FAKE hearing....have you missed out on all the samples of what sound sounds like through a CI? There's a LOT out there..I do remember whatsherface...the girl with bilateral CIs who did marching band. I distinctly remember her telling about a time when she had her hearing schoolmates hear though some "sound check" mechanicism, and they were all "THAT'S what you hear?!?!?.....there is a reason why they're looking into CI MEMS to make CIs sound more like what hearing people hear.
Besides, if fake hearing is so good, then how come there's such a high rate of "hearing aids in drawers among late deafened (and even lots of prelingally dhh too)

Oh,and if CI/HA sound quality is JUST LIKE hearing person hearing then why is there so much obession and preoccupation with a cure for hearing loss for late deafened folks? Lots of LD folks will even mourn unilateral dhhness.

Back