May be getting laid off soon, how easy is

pixiestix

Reaction score
it to get SSDI for a while until you get another job?

Thanks

This isn't 70's which is A-LOT easier back then.

File Unemployment Insurance, then file SSA (Can be done in same day if you wish). Because with SS there is 6 months waiting period. The longer you wait before filing SS, the longer you will get first SS check. Then look for another job. Looking for another job is much better than wait for UI and SS.
Nothing is easy, sorry buddy.

Thanks. I know times/things were alot easier back then! LOL
I am looking for work right now.... not easy, though and not knowing my last day is not helping!

Knowing when is the last day of work is least important, start look for another job. Most companies prefers hire those who are currently working than on UI or SS. FYI. so, do it right now may be the best interest for you.

Thanks. I know times/things were alot easier back then! LOL
I am looking for work right now.... not easy, though and not knowing my last day is not helping!

This isn't 70's which is A-LOT easier back then.

File Unemployment Insurance, then file SSA (Can be done in same day if you wish). Because with SS there is 6 months waiting period. The longer you wait before filing SS, the longer you will get first SS check. Then look for another job. Looking for another job is much better than wait for UI and SS.
Nothing is easy, sorry buddy.

For me, it took 3 months for SSDI to got approved but for many people, when claim got denied so they went through appeal and court so 6 months may accurate for people who got claim denied.

It is depending on income, if OP make much more money so he won't get SSDI until after one year.

I recommended to apply for SSDI and find a job at same time, if you can't find a job within 6 months so you may get SSDI until you can find a job.

If you received SSDI before so you need discuss with SS representative to resume the SSDI.

it to get SSDI for a while until you get another job?

Thanks

it will not give you a magic gift to get ssdi right away while you look for a job. i once got lay off from my a long time employment and it impacted me. so i didnt go to SS office. i started to applied at different jobs (many at once with no sleep) and i got one. it was my magic gift for working hard to find one without any sleep.. wish you a best luck to find a job to survived. i CAN not CANT! :wave:

Good luck, that's terrible... D= It's hard stuff when you're pushed to the second with something like that. =(

For me, it took 3 months for SSDI to got approved but for many people, when claim got denied so they went through appeal and court so 6 months may accurate for people who got claim denied.

It is depending on income, if OP make much more money so he won't get SSDI until after one year.

I recommended to apply for SSDI and find a job at same time, if you can't find a job within 6 months so you may get SSDI until you can find a job.

If you received SSDI before so you need discuss with SS representative to resume the SSDI.
You must have enough credits to be eligible for SSDI. When you apply for SSDI, they need a medical document to show that you have a disability that prevents you from being able to work. They are not interested in how much you have in savings and how much you earned before a job loss. Read about rights at SSA.gov.

My ex-brother-in-law applied for SSDI after a layoff and waited for 6 months to receive his first check ($1,000 per month). The state where he was resided in allowed him to work that paid no more than $1,000 per month so he had to live on up to $2,000 every month. He had a part-time job as a dorm supervisor at MSSD and he always made sure that his pay was not more than $1,000 per month, otherwise his SSDI would be stopped or greatly reduced. He was not happy. The last time I heard from him was that he was looking for a full-time job that pays more than $2,000 per month and if he got it, he would be happy to inform SSA to stop sending the checks.

yup diehardbiker said it right. The day after you are laid off, file that damn online SSA. be honest and fill out everything. for some it might be hard but its easy with another person who done it to walk you through. Then the same week file for unemployment. Most of the time unemployment will help you to carry you through the necessary bills and then when SSDI kicks in, your unemployment will be at the moment it runs out. If you get work before then, then thats great since you will be better off by the time you retire as your benefits will be higher then you staying on SSDI for rest of life.

1) If you got laid off - you're automatically eligible for UI.

2) I was laid off from work and I had to wait for 4-6 months to get my DAC benefits reinstated. It look Social Security 10 months to approve my SSDI benefits that I have earned from work (it has to be more than 4.5 years which is 20 credits; 4 credits per year full-time employment). I get less DAC and standard amount for SSDI.

3) With SSDI you can get your student loans waived (TAP - as long you have an award letter stating that your disability is scheduled to be reviewed within' 5-7 years).

4) Getting a hearing job is difficult (see the link below for in-depth explanation). If you're not in debt - GREAT! If you are, save your money for a bankruptcy lawyer. You will need it to get a fresh start. A lot of Deaf people balked at me for not getting a job (I worked at a hearing industry for my internship; and deaf industry as my perm. job). I asked them if they ever worked at a hearing industry: almost all of my friend fell silent. I told them: SHUT THE **** UP.

Unemployment Problems for Deaf: Reasons Employers Won't Hire Deaf People

^ - buy the book, it only cost $3.00. There's more than it meets to its eye. The link above should summarize it sufficiently. Don't let Deaf people jest you, or tell you otherwise. Just ask them if they ever work in a hearing field: it's a game changer. And that will shut them up for good. I have and provided evidence to back it up (White House awards and etc). Why Deaf people don't want to work in a hearing world is beyond me. I regret working in a Deaf environment due to crab theory - it runs amok when left unchecked. Seriously.. sigh.

Good night!

This is from the URL:

"The real reason the employers refuse to hire deaf applicants is because they are not willing to pay for a sign language interpreter to interview with a deaf applicant. They do not want to pay for working with the hired deaf applicant for few days with an interpreter to settle into the job during training period. The interpreters charge employers $75 to $125 or even higher per hour. The employers do not want to waste their money on interpreters if deaf employees don't last longer on the jobs. It's sad but true."

Some deaf people don't need an interpreter. I've gone to all my interviews without one so that reason alone is invalid. I never used paper and pen. Communication went fine. They simply just don't want to hire deaf people because we are 'different'.

I don't agree with that blog at all.

To those who lost their jobs and had to wait for UI, SSDI, or disability checks to come in, HOW do you pay for your bills, buy food, and etc? Just the thought of it scares me! If I ever lose my teaching job (my job isn't as secure as it was before), I would apply at one of the many deaf group homes around here until I land a better job. That's what makes this area attractive to deaf/hoh people...there are always jobs available at one of the many group homes in this area.

Savings. I went and got a personal loan (not the brightest idea but there ARE low interest ones out there- Credit Unions). Or sometimes people have to rely on family unfortunately... it's terrible no matter what or how one earns but has to really stretch the paychecks....

Agree. Apply for UI the second you know when your last day is. You already know you will be laid off- so there's no question you'll get it. Ditto on the SSDI. I wish I had applied for it when I first lost my job. They will be a little nitpicky on "when your disability first occurred" (like mine... but oh well). SSDI will not kick in until 5 months after your 'initial date of disability' (by their determination) but really 6 months as first check will come one month after the 5 months period is up.

Keep looking for work the entire time all this is going on. Depending on the state you WILL have to keep logs of job searches and either turn those in or keep them until they ask for them (been there done that a few times).

I'm going through the same thing right now. I'd rather be working but it's been challenging...

"hearing industry"? "deaf industry"? WTF? I'm in IT so I am not sure if that would even translate well...

Getting a hearing job is difficult (see the link below for in-depth explanation). If you're not in debt - GREAT! If you are, save your money for a bankruptcy lawyer. You will need it to get a fresh start. A lot of Deaf people balked at me for not getting a job (I worked at a hearing industry for my internship; and deaf industry as my perm. job). I asked them if they ever worked at a hearing industry: almost all of my friend fell silent. I told them: SHUT THE **** UP.

Unemployment Problems for Deaf: Reasons Employers Won't Hire Deaf People

^ - buy the book, it only cost $3.00. There's more than it meets to its eye. The link above should summarize it sufficiently. Don't let Deaf people jest you, or tell you otherwise. Just ask them if they ever work in a hearing field: it's a game changer. And that will shut them up for good. I have and provided evidence to back it up (White House awards and etc). Why Deaf people don't want to work in a hearing world is beyond me. I regret working in a Deaf environment due to crab theory - it runs amok when left unchecked. Seriously.. sigh.

Good night!

Just because your D/deaf friends haven't had professional experience with an all-hearing company does not automatically mean that all D/deaf individuals don't want to work for hearing employers. I should know--I have worked for an all-hearing company for a year and half now (I'm the only deaf employee at the company). The fact that you have mentioned that you tell your friends to "shut the f#$% up" or that the "hearing industry" question will "shut them up for good" (as shown in the blue font above) shows just how arrogant you are. Your professional experience working for a hearing employer doesn't automatically mean that you are any better than your fellow D/deaf peers as a person. Your D/deaf peers may have different experiences or opinions, but that doesn't give you the right to dismiss them outright.

I do not agree with your blog nor do I agree with your perspective. Just because you claim that the refusal to hire D/deaf and hard-of-hearing employees are rooted in the fact that there are interpreter expenses, difficulty with communication, and the "telephone culture" doesn't mean it is necessarily true for all employers. Nor does it mean that you are a qualified source of factual information. I noticed that your blog doesn't even cite empirical studies, hard statistics or actual research. Your fundamental arguments are based on personal opinions and anecdotal data and therefore remain invalid.

One more thing. You claim that you regret working for a Deaf company as it runs amok when unchecked, and yet you forget that it is just the same for hearing companies. Some Deaf companies stink and other Deaf companies are awesome--no different from the fact that some hearing companies stink and some other hearing companies (like the one I work for) rock.

I do not agree with your blog nor do I agree with your perspective. Just because you claim that the refusal to hire D/deaf and hard-of-hearing employees are rooted in the fact that there are interpreter expenses, difficulty with communication, and the "telephone culture" doesn't mean it is necessarily true for all employers. Nor does it mean that you are a qualified source of factual information. I noticed that your blog doesn't even cite empirical studies, hard statistics or actual research. Your fundamental arguments are based on personal opinions and anecdotal data and therefore remain invalid.

I was thinking the same thing. At a (Thank Christ) former agency I worked at, we had a deaf employee. She got an interpreter whenever it was needed, she communicated solely by email and IM, we had to handle all the phone work and make calls for her because she refused to use the TTY or fax machine or email the people in question. We also had to take calls from her parents and relay messages to her. For some odd reason, they never thought to email her or text her on her cellphone so that was our job to pass along info from her family too. She was the only employee allowed to work from home and she made her own hours which none of the administrative staff was allowed to do -but her. When she wasn't bragging about her perks that none of us had, she bragged about the million dollar trust fund her parents set up for her. It was such a joy to work with someone like that.....

There were a number of other employees in that same agency who were terminated for being "too old" to work. I never saw the union or anyone come to their defense. It was common for people in a certain age bracket to have to hire a lawyer to get the promotions they were entitled to. If you couldn't afford one, you never got promoted. Some work places suck and some are better than others. Bottom line, many people go through discrimination for being too old, having a family, being "over educated" or not being the right skin color. Does discrimination happen with disabled applicants? All the time - just as it does for a number of people, for whatever reason, every day in both the public and private sector.

Laura

Last edited:
Bottom line, many people go through discrimination for being too old, having a family, being "over educated" or not being the right skin color. Does discrimination happen with disabled applicants? All the time - just as it does for a number of people, for whatever reason, every day in both the public and private sector.

Thank you! Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Back