Marriage/Couple - Religious

illustrator

Reaction score
Okay, since I am going out with someone who is Christian.

So, I am try to get idea from your opinion or any experience when you, being religious, have a parnter who involved with different religious?

Do you go church for your mate everytime or you both take a turn for your religious and then your mate's religious?

Good Question... I did dated a guy who was really Religious.. and He was Catholic and I was Christian... I went to His Church a few Sundays with him and It was a pleasure to know different things what they believe in... The most part I like about his Church was the Choir It was beautiful the way they sing and everyone clapping their hands and sing along it was just beautiful...A Few times I will go by myself to a different Church that has all deaf Catholic Church and they did also had Choir they sing with Sign Language which was so Awesome! He will also go to my Church too but he would not approved much about how we believed so Really our relationship didn't last long cuz he was too closed mind and I was more Open minded even through I went my way to share his experiences what he believed in.. i stood by him and even went to his church and his church gathers for church dinners.. But he wouldn't go to mine.

I'd say that it's a sticky issue. Usually, when a couple get married... they have to meet each other's expectations. It would be difficult for one person to give up his/her religion for the other. It's usually best if both followed the same religion. There have been times when different religions have caused problems with parents and other families as well as relatives. :crazy:

For Myself here...

It really doesn't bother me....I'm christian myself ...and If my boyfriend or husband isn't then that doesn't stop me from going to church or for the things I believe....If I love this guy or if he is the ' One ' for me then I would marry or date him no matter if he is not Christian...Just hope he doesn't swear too much.... :lol:

VamPyroX said:
I'd say that it's a sticky issue. Usually, when a couple get married... they have to meet each other's expectations. It would be difficult for one person to give up his/her religion for the other. It's usually best if both followed the same religion. There have been times when different religions have caused problems with parents and other families as well as relatives. :crazy:

Hmm... I wonder what about non-religious and religious? Anyone have any experience?

Hm. I used to date a Catholic, but I never went to the church with him. It is his "family" thing and I was not ready to partake in that scene. He knew I am an atheist and he respected me just like I respected his beliefs. We never spoke about religions or God forbids it! Har, har.
Usually it is the Christian guys that we would come to headlock. One guy had a HUGE crush on me and he tried to ask me out etc but ... I said no because for my birthday he gave me a cross. I never felt so offended when I received that gift. I understand it is his thing and crosses are good thing to ... have but I made it clearly that I *do not* want any crosses or religious icons/symbols... we became friends afterwards... and he ended up being gay. :shock: Hope it wasn't on my account... :-X He still believes in Christainity, the last time we talked about was about his problems because in his church, homosexuality was HIGHLY disrespected but he said he couldn't help his feelings.

I *RARELY* go to church...or at least not of my own will. I only go if I am stuck with the friends and they need to go to the church, I would go but those friends end up never paying attention to the church service and yapped our heads off.

I used to attend a deaf church service during my middle school years because at least four of my close friends were going there.. Boy I was the demon that church loathed. I questioned their lessons and protested their discriminations of other religions. The teacher there hated me down to the core. I always thought he was closet-gay... I haven't seen anybody from that church ever since I left my friends there several months later.

illustrator said:
Hmm... I wonder what about non-religious and religious? Anyone have any experience?
There was one girl that I did have a crush on. She was muslim. It was hard for me at times because I would try to invite her out for dinner, but she would turn me down cuz it was that time where she couldn't eat. There was another time when she had to go home and pray, cuz she's strong with that religion. I eventually gave up on her when I realized that things wouldn't work out. I do have another friend who used to be Baptist. She dated this guy who went to a Pentacostal church. This guy was only there to meet women but she thought it was a good religion. She ended up not wearing make up, not wearing pants, always wearing dresses, carrying a bible everywhere, saying "God Is With You" to everyone, etc... until it got annoying that he left her. That's why I say it's a sticky issue. If you really want me to be anal, I'd say that it's best if both were of the same religion... better that way.

VamPyroX said:

sticky yes Vampy but is do-able -- my sister is a mormon and her hubby is catholic and theyve been married for over 20 years now -- same applied with my own parents -- mom is a mormon and my dad was a lutherean -- obviously my folks chose to have me and my sister be raised in the mormon church :roll: -- but with my sister's kids -- theyre raised in the catholic church due to my sister being a non practicing mormon (and shes chosen to get married in the catholic church as opposed to the mormon church and thus was told by the catholic priest that she must raise her kids catholic which i had strongly opposed to the apparent oppression by forcing my sister to have her kids learn religion in ONLY the catholic church when both parents are of a different faith AND not allowed apparently to have BOTH parents sit down and discuss which religion they wanted to raise the kids in -- but ahh thats an entirely different argument) even tho she still has some home teachers from the church call her up once a month -- my bro in law doesnt seem to mind :dunno:

interesting....

i dont have religion nor do my hubby either, however we do have some different beliefs about how things work in life generally. we still get along beautifully with little fights. :twisted: we are opposites - i am the emotional one and he is the logical one, and somehow we balance each other out. that might go the same for religious couples with different religions if agreements are set from the beginning.

yes, it would be easier to have the same religion though. my parents did not get along well because my mom was a strong christian and my dad was a catholic therefore they really had different beliefs of how things work and they werent able to reach a compromise - divorce happened after just 11 years. :)

VamPyroX said:
There was one girl that I did have a crush on. She was muslim. It was hard for me at times because I would try to invite her out for dinner, but she would turn me down cuz it was that time where she couldn't eat. There was another time when she had to go home and pray, cuz she's strong with that religion. I eventually gave up on her when I realized that things wouldn't work out. I do have another friend who used to be Baptist. She dated this guy who went to a Pentacostal church. This guy was only there to meet women but she thought it was a good religion. She ended up not wearing make up, not wearing pants, always wearing dresses, carrying a bible everywhere, saying "God Is With You" to everyone, etc... until it got annoying that he left her. That's why I say it's a sticky issue. If you really want me to be anal, I'd say that it's best if both were of the same religion... better that way.

I agree if it goes to the same religion for both of them ... to cut the "confusion". :)

My ex was part of the LDS Church, and it was interesting because the person was not an active member of the church. However, a lot of the person's friends were active members, and it was fascinating to talk with them sometimes about the Church and so on. Of course, I made it clear that I would never be converted to a member of the LDS Church, because it did not agree with any of my beliefs, which is more into the Buddhist religion.

Right now, I am dating a guy who is Buddhist. Cooool!

I'm married, and we're both Christians, we have very similar beliefs. But there are times when we disagree. We'll hear each other out, and even "debate." If things get really heated, our motto, is "Lets agree, to disagree" and move on.

I don't know if I could marry someone outside of my religion. Doesn't mean I wouldn't date them. It's just that I can see a potential problem with it.
People start wars over religion.

Well religion should not matter when it comes to a relationship , unless it offends you.
My boyfriends family is catholic but he is not sure what path he wants to take

Myself I am AGNOSTIC and I follow St. Charles Darwin. I will never push my religon on him but we spend every monday learning a different regilion until he learns them all and can pick one that fits his believes.

Here is a site incase you are not sure about Agnosticism.

http://virus.lucifer.com/saints.html

illustrator, One of my friend who trying to find right person who is Deaf christian but no luck finding. Pretty road getting long way til you be found right person who is Deaf Christian. I think I recommend is try find another who is not christian and not to try push person attend church.. Until find right time and encourge your date pay visit the church.. One day will comes fall in for and asking want born again become christian..
Just thought in my brain storm... (hmmmm)

girlygti said:
Well religion should not matter when it comes to a relationship , unless it offends you.
My boyfriends family is catholic but he is not sure what path he wants to take

Myself I am AGNOSTIC and I follow St. Charles Darwin. I will never push my religon on him but we spend every monday learning a different regilion until he learns them all and can pick one that fits his believes.

Here is a site incase you are not sure about Agnosticism.

http://virus.lucifer.com/saints.html
Hmm... that's a new one. It was founded recently.

Bullym0m said:
illustrator, One of my friend who trying to find right person who is Deaf christian but no luck finding. Pretty road getting long way til you be found right person who is Deaf Christian. I think I recommend is try find another who is not christian and not to try push person attend church.. Until find right time and encourge your date pay visit the church.. One day will comes fall in for and asking want born again become christian..
Just thought in my brain storm... (hmmmm)

Done it before. It never work out for us!

Now, that hearing christian, who I dating right now, is so nice. I invited her to my church. It turn out that she really like it and want go again. I guess I'll see about it if she want take me to her church which I will, for a sure.

illustrator said:
Done it before. It never work out for us!

Now, that hearing christian, who I dating right now, is so nice. I invited her to my church. It turn out that she really like it and want go again. I guess I'll see about it if she want take me to her church which I will, for a sure.

Oh I'm sorry about "not working out"
by the way you found nice hearing christian who willing do anything for you.. plus you do anything for her..
I give you 10plus.. Awesome..
Wishes you have great luck and look the bright future.. *wink*

Back