Manualism vs. Oralism Research

FYI, Bertling used to post at DumbNotes, and he was a sad bitter man.
I have never read the book.........BUT a) He was postlingally dhh, claiming to "speak" for the entire dhh population. b) his story took place WAY before Deaf ed was really reformed (in the old days deaf schools were basicly "basic ed with a heavy dose of vocational training.)
He thinks that oral-only and mainstreaming is the best. He's so bitter about going deaf that's caused him to habor a great deal of resentment against ASL and Deaf schools.

Amen if a kid doesn't respond well to minimal accomndations, they get lumped in with the "Ummmm who's President So-and So?" kids who're LEGION in special ed!
Not to mention that if a dhh kid has a "deaf voice", they encounter TONS of prejudice from dumbasses who think they're retarded! Oral only skills do not equalize most dhh (b/c ASL benifits hoh kids TOO) kids at ALL!

I have read the book. Bitterness pervades every page.

I know. I have looked at the curriculum for special ed at several universities. It is the same at all I have checked. And yet, the mainstream is turning over a deaf child's education to people who have no training in deaf education. It is a frightening situation when people are convinced that these special ed teachers have any expertise at all in deaf ed.

U know what pisses me off? People who have NO training nor experience in the field of deaf ed tell those who are experienced and trained that they are wrong or biased.

U know what pisses me off? People who have NO training nor experience in the field of deaf ed tell those who are experienced and trained that they are wrong or biased.

Heh... my mom wanted to enroll me into the correspondence course at Gallaudet for middle and high school students for overseas students when my parents moved to a new city-- the administration didn't like it and said Gallaudet didn't know what they were talking about and that their programs were wrong. :roll:

This was back in '98 or '99.

Yeah, one of my pet peeves, too! :mad:

Heh... my mom wanted to enroll me into the correspondence course at Gallaudet for middle and high school students for overseas students when my parents moved to a new city-- the administration didn't like it and said Gallaudet didn't know what they were talking about and that their programs were wrong. :roll:

Unfortunately, that is an all too frequent happening. There are days, when I advocate, that I have to sit on my hands to keep from choking people like that in the middle of a meeting!:giggle:

Unfortunately, that is an all too frequent happening. There are days, when I advocate, that I have to sit on my hands to keep from choking people like that in the middle of a meeting!:giggle:

But... how can you say a well-respected university that is famous for their deaf programs is wrong? Really? Bloody hell.

I wouldn't dare to do that about a field that iam not trained nor experienced in it. Stupid idiots!

But... how can you say a well-respected university that is famous for their deaf programs is wrong? Really? Bloody hell.

They do it because they automatically infer an inferior status to anything with the word "deaf" attached to it.

Because they think they know it all. Just stupid egostical men who feel they have to compensate for their short falls. LOL! :lol:

*sarcasm here*

I have read the book. Bitterness pervades every page.
Yup. The book is SELF-PUBLISHED/ vanity press published too.
A lot of the stuff he brought up was just so twisted etc.....it really was the portrait of a man who was extremely bitter and angry about being dhh. He really needed a lot of help. He pushed his book as " hoh kids don't belong in the deaf world" WRONG. It was b/c he was relatively late deafened....he even claimed that he was "orally educated" b/c he'd had some speech therapy.....complete and utter bullshit. I mean the therapy he had was prolly due to articulation issues.....totally and completely different from even the speech therapy that I went through............and the sad thing is that AG Beller types read his crap and point to it as "why "oral" kids don't need ASL or Deaf Schools.

Coming back to check this thread! Whew! It's been a crazy couple of weeks!

Shel90 - Thank you! It's a great addition to the paper!

rockdrummer - I wholly appreciate you bringing up Bi-Bi education because until you mentioned it, I'm shamed to say that I hadn't heard of it before. I have been able to do a little research on it and I even brought it up in my ASL class but we haven't really explored it in depth yet. I want to know more about it and I'm hoping to bring it up through my Education of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students class but right now, we're only doing online work. The next time we meet in person, I'll be sure to bring it up and ask about our program's philosophy. As soon as I get a better idea of it, I will definitely let you know! :)

I would never presume to be an expert in this field, nor fully trained, but I am very glad to have a community here to share insights and questions with those who are have varying experiences! I will say that I am glad to be in a program for Special Education that has a D/HH focus instead of just a small snippet within the Special Education world. As a hearie who is still finding his way, it's wonderful to be welcomed into the community. :)

Back