Man dies after live roach-eating contest in Fla.

rockin'robin

Reaction score
MIAMI (AP) — The winner of a roach-eating contest in South Florida died shortly after downing dozens of the live bugs as well as worms, authorities said Monday.

About 30 contestants ate the insects during Friday night's contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.

Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach became ill shortly after the contest ended and collapsed in front of the store, according to a Broward Sheriff's Office statement released Monday. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead. Authorities were waiting for results of an autopsy to determine a cause of death.

"Unless the roaches were contaminated with some bacteria or other pathogens, I don't think that cockroaches would be unsafe to eat," said Michael Adams, professor of entomology at the University of California at Riverside, who added that he has never heard of someone dying after consuming roaches. "Some people do have allergies to roaches," he said, "but there are no toxins in roaches or related insects."

None of the other contestants became ill, the sheriff's office said.

There was no updated phone number listed for Archbold in West Palm Beach.

"We feel terribly awful," said store owner Ben Siegel, who added that Archbold did not appear to be sick before the contest. "He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice," Siegel said, adding that Archbold was "the life of the party."

Siegel said Archbold was selling the exotic prize to a friend who took him to the contest.

A statement from Siegel's attorney said all the participants signed waivers "accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest."

The bugs consumed were from an inventory of insects "that are safely and domestically raised in a controlled environment as food for reptiles."

Man dies after live roach-eating contest in Fla. - Yahoo! News

so do they check for acidity in roach before they feed contestants in Fear Factor?? lol

Johnsondiversey-Raid-Ant-And-Roach-Killer---Insecticide---Spray---Kills-Ants--Cockroaches--Water-Bugs--Silverfish--Crickets--Spiders---17-5-Oz--_295277.jpg

guy die eating roaches which cruel and someone in my opinion barking mad about to parashute to earth with risk of eyes poping out...why do people do such odd things

guy die eating roaches which cruel and someone in my opinion barking mad about to parashute to earth with risk of eyes poping out...why do people do such odd things

WHo knows roach are caveman's favorite meal 4,000 years ago. :hmm:

I suspect that there was something else involved. Just eating roaches might cause someone to vomit but I can't see how it would kill someone unless he had a specific allergy to roaches, which is doubtful. I think he did something prior to the competition to prepare his body, and whatever he did caused his system to go into shock. Maybe he did an extreme enema, sprayed Novocain down his throat, or took certain drugs thinking that it would help him keep down the roaches. Maybe he consumed a lot of alcohol in order to get up the nerve to eat roaches. :dunno:

None of the other competitors got sick, so it doesn't seem to be the roaches themselves that caused his death. Also, they were roaches raised as animal feed, so they wouldn't be exposed to pesticides.

Maybe he didn't chew roach enough and it's alive enough to crawl into body system and damage these.

stomach acidity should have killed the roaches so doubtful that they penetrated any cavity to harm the man..I don't think his death is related to the roaches directly I think it has to do with something else..he ate worms too..maybe the worms had some sort of bacteria on them? he must have ingested something and OD'd or something on it either before or after the contest..that's my guess anyway

stomach acidity should have killed the roaches so doubtful that they penetrated any cavity to harm the man..
True, although roaches are know to be very resilient. At first I thought, no, they couldn't fit anywhere into other organs. Then, I thought, suppose one lived long enough to chew thru an intestinal wall and let contaminating fluid seep out? Could that cause a reaction similar to what happens with a burst appendix?

Or were they not easily broken down (digested), so they caused a blockage in the system? Even then, it seems that wouldn't kill him so quickly. :hmm:

I don't think his death is related to the roaches directly I think it has to do with something else..he ate worms too..maybe the worms had some sort of bacteria on them? he must have ingested something and OD'd or something on it either before or after the contest..that's my guess anyway
I would think that bacteria wouldn't react so quickly. :dunno:

I agree that it's probably something else he ingested or used.

Other than allergies or chemicals, I was thinking what if he swallowed the roaches live without fear or didn't fully chew on them to make sure the roaches died properly.
Maybe some could have been crawling around alive and perforated his stomach with their mandibles which could have lead to his acute death.

I remember seeing either on TV or documentary article about roaches having strong mandibular strength that could chew through nearly anything, even plastic peanut butter jars.

True, although roaches are know to be very resilient. At first I thought, no, they couldn't fit anywhere into other organs. Then, I thought, suppose one lived long enough to chew thru an intestinal wall and let contaminating fluid seep out? Could that cause a reaction similar to what happens with a burst appendix?

Or were they not easily broken down (digested), so they caused a blockage in the system? Even then, it seems that wouldn't kill him so quickly. :hmm:

I would think that bacteria wouldn't react so quickly. :dunno:

I agree that it's probably something else he ingested or used.

I guess it's possible one or more could have made a hole in the stomach and contents would have killed him due to acidity not being able to touch anything else other than actual stomach...but you think he'd have gotten sick first, fever, etc but to drop dead that fast...so weird..guess we gotta way to see what's up..I'm sure they'll be a follow up article

The only good things to come from this: he killed roaches, and he can no longer reproduce.

Perhaps he was allergic to them to some degree. I know I'm allergic to roaches and didnt know until the allergist said it when one of the test sites reacted and it was roach eww. I do itch really bad when a building or house has roaches I just know when I start itching and have to leave.

Back