Malingering

All right, whatever you say. Why someone would want to fake a mental illness I don't know.

simple: attention.

during the 2 years i've had bipolar, you'd be surprised at how many people i've met who feign having the disorder. they want an excuse for their explosive behavior and temper even though they clearly do not have this illness.

I'm just surprised that feigning a mental illness is an effective way of gaining attention since so many people's mental illnesses are downplayed or completely overlooked.

Right. All words are coined somehow or evolve from other words or are borrowed from other languages, etc.

That's true, but that doesn't mean that those words describe a real disorder.

Anorexia is a real disease. There are buzz words that have sprung from it like bigorexia, pregorexia, and manorexia, ect.

Bigorexia isn't a real disorder. "Pregorexia" is just a buzz word describing a pregnant woman who has anorexia, and manorexia is just a buzz word that describes a man with anorexia. Therein lies the difference. Buzz words are just catchy phrases and nothing more.

That's true, but that doesn't mean that those words describe a real disorder.

Anorexia is a real disease. There are buzz words that have sprung from it like bigorexia, pregorexia, and manorexia, ect.

Bigorexia isn't a real disorder. "Pregorexia" is just a buzz word describing a pregnant woman who has anorexia, and manorexia is just a buzz word that describes a man with anorexia. Therein lies the difference. Buzz words are just catchy phrases and nothing more.

But to some people those "words" have meaning, where do words come from if we dont make them?

Like the word my sisters and i 'coined' I would mention it... but i cant spell it. but it was to be used as an insult instead of calling them a b*tch.

But to some people those "words" have meaning, where do words come from if we dont make them?

Like the word my sisters and i 'coined' I would mention it... but i cant spell it. but it was to be used as an insult instead of calling them a b*tch.

just because certain words have meaning doesn't mean they are categorized as a legitimate disorder.

I wasn't claiming that it's a disorder. I don't think transabled people have a disorder, just like I don't think transsexual people have a disorder. I think that is just who they are.

I'm just surprised that feigning a mental illness is an effective way of gaining attention since so many people's mental illnesses are downplayed or completely overlooked.

why? if someone pretends they have a certain mental illness, that allows them to see a therapist every week to talk about their problems (and/or gain sympathy) and/or see a psychiatrist every 1 to 3 months to discuss meds. to someone who lacks attention, having someone ask them how they are feeling gives them a sense that another person cares. when you think about it, that makes perfect sense (even though i strongly disagree with this behavior).

I wasn't claiming that it's a disorder. I don't think transabled people have a disorder, just like I don't think transsexual people have a disorder. I think that is just who they are.

Wrong. Transgendered people have gender identity disorder, a recognized psychiatric condition. This other nonsense is just that....nonsense.

I tried to google the definition of transabled, and I couldn't come up with a psychiatric definition. The reason is it's not recognized as psychiatric disorder. There is no such thing as "transabled". People who claim to be just want attention and will go to any lengths to get that attention. I think it's sick that they are catered to.

The media coins alot of this nonsense for shock value. I also think some people will coin a phrase to give validity to something, but that doesn't mean it's valid.

Back