Malingering

You could argue that someone who is feigning a mental illness has a separate mental illness apart from the one they're faking--that is, a mental illness that explains why they would be trying to fake a mental illness.

No it's entirely differant. BIID is more like being gay or transexual.

I'm familiar with BIID. I was just wondering if Munchausen's was another name for it, kind of like Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis and Lou Gehrig's are two names for the same condition, but now I know Munchausen's and BIID are two separate conditions.

jillio--transsexual people have GID. Transabled people have BIID.

You could argue that someone who is feigning a mental illness has a separate mental illness apart from the one they're faking--that is, a mental illness that explains why they would be trying to fake a mental illness.

That's possible since unless you are in the army (or any other situation you want to leave from) their really doesn't seem to be any benifit from faking a mental illness.

But why would anyone want to do that? You just get a lot of stigma. I wish I was just deafblind. Without the added depression.

no not stigma. They will just get lot of attention and pity.... something that they didn't have from their childhood.

jillio--transsexual people have GID. Transabled people have BIID.

Exactly. So it has nothing to do with transexuals or homosexuals, as dreama stated. That's why I corrected her.

no not stigma. They will just get lot of attention and pity.... something that they didn't have from their childhood.

exactly, jiro. if people were aware of the stigma associated with mental illness, they wouldn't feign having one in the first place. out of any disability, illness or condition, mental illness is the least understood.

That's possible since unless you are in the army (or any other situation you want to leave from) their really doesn't seem to be any benifit from faking a mental illness.

...unless you enjoy receiving attention from psychiatrists and therapists as well as being given meds and asked constantly how you are feeling. people who've never had attention given to them all their lives are drawn to this and like the fact that mental health professionals take an interest in their emotional state.

as for myself, i don't.

in fact, during the first year i was diagnosed as bipolar in 2006, i was embarrased whenever my psychiatrist would ask me if i was manic. even today i'm a little embarrassed whenever my therapist tells me i'm manic because i can't recognize this for myself and i end up talking rapidly which makes me feel like a fool.

...unless you enjoy receiving attention from psychiatrists and therapists as well as being given meds and asked constantly how you are feeling. people who've never had attention given to them all their lives are drawn to this and like the fact that mental health professionals take an interest in their emotional state.

as for myself, i don't.

Me neither. In fact I avoid doctors when I can. I also avoid taking medicine when I can. The idea of going to a doctor unless you have to seems really bizare to me.

Oh I'm sorry, I by no means think being transsexual or transabled is a mental illness.

:dizzy: i am absolutely clueless what's going on here. I only did pysch 101. Never mind this bumbling old fool.

gerg.gif

no you couldn't, nika. feigning a mental illness is not having a mental illness. it's malingering.

Oh I'm sorry, I by no means think being transsexual or transabled is a mental illness.

"Transable" isn't a real word, either. It's just a catchy little phrase that someone decided to coin. These people who want to be disabled have a mental illness, but it's not BIID.

Me neither. In fact I avoid doctors when I can. I also avoid taking medicine when I can. The idea of going to a doctor unless you have to seems really bizare to me.

it's not bizarre to malingerers. in fact, they thrive on it because of the attention they receive.

as far as meds are concerned, i have no choice in the matter regardless of how i feel about them. i have a life-long condition (bipolar) that requires meds in order to prevent me from experiencing progressive, severe manic episodes. i also need to take an antipsychotic to help relieve my 7 different types of paranoia (even though it doesn't help). in addition, i have an allergy med (for year round allergies), migraine preventative, fast-acting migraine med and sleep med that i need to take as well.

Back