Lowe’s Workers Fix Vietnam Vet’s Wheelchair That VA Allegedly Wouldn’t Replace

ncff07

Resident Punk Ass
Premium Member
Reaction score

Three Lowe’s employees came to the aid of a Vietnam veteran who lost both legs, then lost his battle to get the VA to replace his rundown wheelchair.

Michael Sulsona said he was at a Staten Island Lowe’s to get fencing for his yard when his wheelchair broke down. He had been trying to get a replacement wheelchair, but each time he asked for a new one, the VA would send a repairman instead.

At Lowe’s, the three workers sprang into action, placing Sulsona in another chair while they worked on his wheelchair. They replaced the broken parts and told him they’d make the chair like new.

When Sulsona thanked them, the employees told him it was their honor.

The VA has since sent Sulsona a replacement wheelchair.

071514_loweskellyfile_956.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 29
That is very nice of Lowe's to repair the wheelchair for the veteran. It's a shame that VA is lacking support for the veterans who served their country to be treated like this.

just wow. *standing up, clapping*

What would have been a better story is the VA giving the man the tools he needed in the first place. I do commend the Lowes workers though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Nothing to not like about this story. Proud of Lowe's stepping up to help. Glad the VA *finally* sent a replacement chair.

That is very nice of Lowe's to repair the wheelchair for the veteran. It's a shame that VA is lacking support for the veterans who served their country to be treated like this.

Yes, I agree and it shows that we need big reform for VA hospitals, also my father hasn't used VA hospital for many years because he said private doctors are better and it does cost more. I believe that VA should cover all treatment that where veterans opt in to see private doctor instead of VA hospital.

I'm glad to see Lowe's fixed veteran's wheelchair and it is nice of them, also they take military discount too. :)

Something people may not realize is that the VA provides only minimal support devices for injured vets. That is, generally, they do not get state-of-the-art technology for their amputations. High-tech prosthetic devices, track chairs, upright chairs, motorized chairs, adapted vehicles, etc., are "extras" usually provided by charitable organizations, not the VA. Gary Sinise's Independence Fund and Wounded Warriors Project are a couple of them.

At my VA hospital, there are vans lined up in the parking lot. They provide transportation for the vets to and from the hospital. They are handicapped-accessible DAV vans--that is, they are provided by the Disabled American Veterans charitable organization. The most they get from the VA is reserved parking spots.

Housing that is adapted for the wounded is not provided by VA. Organizations such as Bank of America and commercial contractors build, renovate, and donate houses.

Back